Confused: Vinyl(Analog) vs Digital
Jul 1, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #61 of 71
I don't have any problem with that might be amusing to see - links?

anyone try 192k (or higher)  rips to preserve them - since the +30kHz does wear quickly with play

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #63 of 71
I don't have any problem with that might be amusing to see - links?

I'm not going to search FB for you. No exposure, not my problem.

anyone try 192k (or higher)  rips to preserve them - since the +30kHz does wear quickly with play

I own studio CD recorder.:rolleyes:

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #64 of 71
I did find a Hoffman forum thread - didn't see any there claiming Quadraphonic vinyl rivals/beats any modern digital multichannel format

sorry to hear about the poor quality of your digital recorder - you should really try a "prosumer" soundcard someday

Jul 1, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #65 of 71
I did find a Hoffman forum thread - didn't see any there claiming Quadraphonic vinyl rivals/beats any modern digital multichannel format

I see you couldn't figure out how to search FB. A few of the groups are closed, anyway. I guess one must have an interest in audio for adequate exposure.

sorry to hear about the poor quality of your digital recorder - you should really try a "prosumer" soundcard someday

Actually, I have a modern studio machine, but thanks for the hopeless insult, regardless. Soundcard. :beyersmile:

Edit: May I ask why you have not bothered to fill out your profile in your 13 years here?

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #66 of 71
because I don't in general try to justify my commentary by appeal to my personal listening experience?  I don't see why any should believe my personal anecdotes because of the expense or reputation of the equipment I own

although it is kind of hard to do any more than "witness" when it comes to just how different and good the Smyth SVS Realizer is - but I freely admit this only based on my hearing a demo with a personal calibration

almost all of my arguments are from well established/documented technical knowledge gathered over decades of EE design work and hobby interest in audio that includes perusing JAES articles, psychoacoustic textbooks, now more is on the web, also erratic attendance at presentations and seminars on audio with the Boston Audio Society, joint meetings with AES...

naturally some ends up sounding like appeal to authority but I am willing to point to sources of information I like to reason from for those who genuinely seem interested in the "why" rather than the arguing for points in front of their posse

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #67 of 71
because I don't in general try to justify my commentary by appeal to my personal listening experience?  I don't see why any should believe my personal anecdotes because of the expense or reputation of the equipment I own

I feel foolish having to explain the concept of a community.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #68 of 71
Loved jcx's post ,,, even though I myself have a true Quadraphonic decoder still functioning, and lots of Quad LP's.  And two fine TTs, but I hardly use them.

Question for jcx -- why the dither step to get 44.1?  Decimate the 96 to get 48, a half-sample. All DACs I know of handle 48, and I believe it is the native resolution of many Apple devices.  Certainly that's the case for the older iPods.

I use 48 FLAC or Apple Lossless for all my PMPs, figuring why tax their limited hardware computing capabilities during real-time playback to do a conversion to 48, a dithered upsample from 44.1, or a decimation from 96?  I would rather do that myself on the Mac or PC.

For redbook CDs copied bit-for-bit via EAC, I do the 44.1 --> 48 conversion on a laptop as well.  Ditto for 96 or 192 bit-for-bit copies from DVD-A's using underground software, or 88.2 or 176.4 decimation samples from SACDs using underground hardware, most notably a PlayStation with the exactly correct firmware (or an undocumented feature of my Wadia CDP, although that's only 88.2).

The result beats even half-speed master LPs with 24/96 ADC, even with top-of-the-line ADC hardware.  Exactly as you say, it's about noise level. As I said in an earlier post, this is comparing the same recording, half-speed master LP vs SACD.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #69 of 71
Shaffer -- great "uncle" story. But we can turn that around too, yes?  Maybe some of the CD bashers are listening thru inferior DACs, just as your uncle was listening thru an inferior TT?  I could imagine someone saying "but that's a $10,000 CDP/DAC!"

As I said in an earlier post, there are some dreadful DACs out there!  Even in high-end gear.  

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #70 of 71
jcx made this point already, but when explaining CDs vs LPs to friends I dumb it down as follows:

An analog waveform that gets infused with errors as it is moved from component to component can actually be further away from the original signal than a digital version that suffers some error due to the original sampling, but is then transmitted down the audio chain perfectly (or very close to bit-perfect).  The final signal going in to the amplification stage which will produce an analog waveform for the headphone/speaker transducers might actually be more accurate if the source is digital.  It all depends.

My wife, who is an accomplished statistician and understands sampling and FFTs perfectly, but has no knowledge of audio, understood this explanation immediately.

More: analog "warmth" may have as much to do with the fact that TTs are usually matched with tube-based amps.  Digital source in to a tube amp has plenty of warmth ... which really means pleasing distortion due to the addition of second-order harmonics.

Everyone finds a soft-focus artsy photo of a stunning model more attractive than a clinical hi-res head shot.  So it is with "warmth".

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #71 of 71
The only way to retain any analogue sound when using digital media is go through some sort of analogue amplifier stage in real time, ergo a tube amplifier or older Class AB, although capturing any analogue at a higher sample rate will reduce the need to make it sound more analogue at a later stage. "Warmth" to me is a bit of a myth especially if you are talking about doing it through digital DAC equipment.

If the time comes, I will get myself a DSD recorder as I believe you may be creating a placebo effect when doing it indirectly from a PCM source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back