confused about connections
Apr 5, 2009 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

montana girl

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am totally confused by some of the computer connections. I read about spdif, coaxial, toslink but I am unsure about which of these my computer has, if any. My computer is approx. 4 years old, has a headphone jack in the front and the back of my computer has audio output (line out) jack, and audio input (line in) jack. Are these coax or toslink? I'm getting ready to buy a dac and don't really want to use my USB ports as it won't do 24/192 high resolution. If these connections aren't the above, do I buy a pci card and have it installed in my computer? Thanks

Apr 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Apr 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you Alai. In other words, the connections have to be labeled as such? (spdif, coax, etc.) All mine say is audio output and audio input, so I'm assuming that these aren't the right connections for a dac? Exactly what do I hook up to my audio connections, speakers only?

Apr 5, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by montana girl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Alai. In other words, the connections have to be labeled as such? (spdif, coax, etc.) All mine say is audio output and audio input, so I'm assuming that these aren't the right connections for a dac? Exactly what do I hook up to my audio connections, speakers only?

You most likely have analog connections to your sound card. Those aren't amplified, so you would need to run a cable from the computer to an amplifier (or to a preamp connected to an amplifier) and then connect the speakers to the amp.

If you want to use an external DAC with your computer, you will need to install a soundcard with a digital out jack. There are a lot of soundcards out there and I'm sure you can get a recommendation here for any budget. I found a decent one on eBay for $20 once.

Once you have a soundcard with a digital out (either coax or Toslink), you can use a digital cable to connect your computer to your DAC.

A couple of exceptions:

1. If you're running a Macintosh with an Intel processor, the line out jack has a mini-Toslink connector in it. You can plug the cable right into the jack and run that to your DAC.

2. There are USB based DACs, too. Those will plug into a USB port on your computer instead of a soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back