Confused about 'balanced' output on (e.g.) AK240; how to find balanced IEM's? Plus synergy advice please!
Jan 2, 2016 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Layman1

Headphoneus Supremus
I was looking to buy a new set up this year (DAP, DAC/AMP and IEM's) with each item costing from £100 - £400 or so (unless I find a great job lol).
I'd resigned myself to the fact that, for now, the AK range was out of reach, except for the AK Jr.
Then I started reading the thread on the Onkyo DP-X1 and was surprised to find it for around £420 (import from Japan).
However, most people seem to think it only really shows it's excellence in balanced mode.
But then, does that mean the Mojo would become redundant in this setup?
The reviews of the Mojo and listening to the Hugo at the London CanJam convinced me that the Mojo is pretty much a must-have in my setup plan, especially at that price!

This confusion mainly stems from the fact that I've no idea how the balanced output works in practical terms.
Not in terms of technical/electronic factors, but simply in terms of using IEM's that fit, or whether regular IEM's can be adapted etc.
But I've then absolutely no idea how I go about finding IEM's to fit?
I've looked around on here (and on Google), but find articles either on balanced armature IEM's or hugely technical articles on how Balanced works or Balanced vs SE debates.

What I want to know is, how do I find IEM's (not interested in headphones) that are compatible with balanced outputs (correct terminology?) on DAP's/Amps.
Is it possible to buy standard IEM's with detachable cables and then buy special balanced cables with a balanced 'plug' end?

I think I read somewhere that you can't buy an adaptor that will allow you to plug SE IEM's into a balanced output; is this true?
If so, I'm assuming this would be because it kind of defeats the object by unbalancing the signal once it goes through the adaptor?

Similarly, if I had a DAP with balanced output but wanted use it in conjunction with the Chord Mojo (which doesn't have balanced I/O as far as I know), would it also be similarly redundant (or impossible) to have a cable that went from the balanced output of the DAP to a single input on the Mojo and then out to some SE IEM's (from the Mojo)?

Sorry if this sounds rambling/incoherent. This is due to both my confusion on the matter and my style of writing. Hopefully at least one of these can be addressed soon :p

So, regarding the IEM's, I was considering to buy one of:
JH Rosie
Noble Savant
Jaben Hyperdynamic
Dunu Titan 3 or 5
Hifiman RE-400

I'd most like the Rosie (given Roxanne's out of reach for now), pending reviews, comments about it's synergy with the Mojo and DAP's and budget available.
However, I suspect I'll have to chose something much cheaper for now, so unless I make a lot more money than expected this year, it'll be one of the bottom four.

So my final question is whether anyone can advise on special synergies that have been found between the Mojo, AK Jr, Onkyo DP-X1 (and any other similarly priced DAP's) and any of the headphones above? I'm aware that such things are subjective. but I've found reviews on here to be very helpful in choosing equipment.
And of course, advice on whether any of the earphones above would be compatible if I wanted to go down the Balanced route?

Thanks to all!
smile.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #2 of 4
I think people get confused easily about balanced amps, something that goes back a long way. When a designer chooses to make an amp of any kind, they have a number of topologies they can choose from and how they can implement them. Since most of us don't understand what is involved in those topologies, we don't discuss them except when it involves choices we have to make when using the product. If tubes are employed, since we can change them, it generates discussion about what tubes sound good, different or bad in the amp. If a balanced amp is involved, we need to re-cable our headphones (or buy a pair that comes with balanced cabling). Since a balanced amp is designed primarily to be used balanced, it will work better when used in that manner, and less well single-ended, generally speaking. 

Balanced amps need different cabling, as a regular single-ended amp combines the signal return and ground connections of both channels, ie: You have L+, R+ and ground/return/-. Balanced amps have amplification on the signal return, so require seperate connections so that you have L+, R+, L- and R-. 

So that means for IEMs, you indeed need a pair with detachable cables so that you fit a balanced cable. There are a number of common connections used by IEMs: the 2-pin system used originally by UE and Westone. Each of those manufacturers uses a different polarity on the pins, so cables with a fixed memory wire have to be wired the correct way around. A manufacturer that uses those plugs will specify whether they use a UE or Westone pin-out. Other manufacturers use the Shure type plugs, which are small, coaxial connectors. There are other connectors, but those are the primary ones. Some manufacturers offer balanced cables using Astell&Kern's balanced pinout 

With the Mojo, indeed if you bought a DAP which has a digital out, either optical or coaxial, you could use it as a transport with the Mojo. Or you could use the DAP by itself. Indeed if you're using the digital output (if it has one, I haven't checked) then you wont be using the amp section of the DAP. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 4
Currawong, it's great to have you answer my question! I've read many of your posts/reviews and really appreciate your reply and your contributions generally!

That does make it more clear. So if I do wish to go the balanced route, I'll be limited (on a limited budget) to IEM's that come with detatchable cables.
From my shortlist of IEM's, I think that applies only to the JH Rosie (not sure about the Noble Savants?).

So, I have a few more questions, if you don't mind?

1) You make a very good point that I hadn't considered, regarding bypassing the amp section of the DAP.
I'd imagined that I'd get the full, best, output from the DAP, then feed that through the Mojo for further sound-enhancement goodness.
I forgot about bypassing. Again, my technical knowledge in this area is poor, but would I be right in saying the AK Jr, AK100ii and the Onkyo DP-X1 are all DAC/Amps?

2) And is it the DAC that makes it sound super, and the Amp section is merely responsible for making it louder/driving higher impedence headphones?
Or both affect the sound signature (or in a 70% / 30% split or something)?

3) Also, if it's mainly the DAC that gives the sound signature, would the DACs in both the DAP and the DAC/Amp be used, or the DAC/Amp would override the DAC in the DAP (if you follow my meaning lol)?

4) Finally, if I used a cable to take a balanced output from the DAP, and fed that into the Mojo via its digital input (assuming such a conversion cable exists) and then out from the Mojo to SE IEM's, would that be a waste, or should I still expect to get the quality improvement when using the balanced output that people mentioned with the Onkyo?

Yours (slightly less) confusedly
redface.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 4
1)  Yes, all DAPs have a DAC and amp.  The DAC converts your digital files to analog (since audio is analog) and the amp powers your headphones.

2)  Both the DAC and amp can affect the sound signature.

3)  Connecting the DP-X1 to a Mojo (via USB) would leave all audio processing duties to the Mojo.  The DAP would only be used as a user interface to feed the digital files to the Mojo.  In other words, if you are set on using a Mojo, might as well just hook that up to your phone and save money by not buying the DAP.

4)  The digital output from the DAP is neither single ended or balanced.  Its up to the DAC/amp to make it either or.  So no, you can't use some fancy cable to take advantage of the DAP's balanced output on Mojo via digital output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back