confused about amps
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

green6poop

New Head-Fier
so i got a fiio e9 for Christmas and that broke so i returned it now i am looking a a new amp that's pretty cheap but i don't really anything about amps i was looking at the schiit magni maybe buying a modi later but they only have a red and white plugin that says right and left the e9 has this but i didn't use it i don't really understand how you are supposed to use this also i do not have a wire like that i am very new to this amp thing some help and advice would be really nice 

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
so i got a fiio e9 for Christmas and that broke so i returned it now i am looking a a new amp that's pretty cheap but i don't really anything about amps i was looking at the schiit magni maybe buying a modi later but they only have a red and white plugin that says right and left the e9 has this but i didn't use it i don't really understand how you are supposed to use this also i do not have a wire like that i am very new to this amp thing some help and advice would be really nice 

Before even talking amps... let's find out if you even need one. What headphones are you using?

Very best,

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 10
The red and white output jacks on the back are RCA which are used for pre-amping.  Depending on what you are using the amp for, say for headphone listening, you will not use the red and white jacks.

Please describe exactly how you plan on using the amp.

For example:
PC ---> USB Cable ---> Total Bithead ( Amp ) ---> Headphone Out ---> AH-D2000 Headphones

The FiiO E9 by itself is simply a headphone amp with no DAC.  This means that if you are going to use it with a PC then all you will be doing is amplifying the already noisy signal on your computer.

If you want to stick with FiiO you probably need the FiiO E17.  I suggest going with the Total Bithead from Headphone.com as I and many others have had tremendous luck with the build quality.  The features are simple to use and you get both a USB DAC and a headphone amp.  A DAC can improve upon PC listening because it eliminates the noise often found on audio signal paths from the PC.

FiiO E17
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/fiio-e17-alpen.php

Total Bithead
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-bithead.php

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 10
/'./'v-moda m-80 but i got the e9 because i was planning on buying the he-400 if i was not going to i wouldve jst stuck with my e11 

to answer your question NA blur i was using ipod -> l9 cable -> e9 -> headphone out -> v-moda m80 
also i have no desire to stick with fiio actually i dont like that it is a Chinese company
one more thing could the e7 work instead of e17 wouldnt mind saving 100 bucks
okay i read your post wrong i thought you meant e17 and bithead but i see now thanks that sounds like an awsome amp

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Low end amps don't really do much except making everything sound amplified(louder). 

Thats what an amp does, whether its low or high end.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
/'./'v-moda m-80 but i got the e9 because i was planning on buying the he-400 if i was not going to i wouldve jst stuck with my e11 

to answer your question NA blur i was using ipod -> l9 cable -> e9 -> headphone out -> v-moda m80 
also i have no desire to stick with fiio actually i dont like that it is a Chinese company
one more thing could the e7 work instead of e17 wouldnt mind saving 100 bucks
okay i read your post wrong i thought you meant e17 and bithead but i see now thanks that sounds like an awsome amp

Look into the new Schiit Magni at $99.

Very best,

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 10
okay, the magni or the 02 looks nice but this is what im looking for under 200 bucks on amazon dac and amp works for computer and ipod is either rechargeable or it plugs in and of course good sound sorry to be picky

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 10
this I don't really understand. what is the pre-amp feature (of the Fiio E9, for example) used for and why?

ie. when would you need a pre-amp? i've read that to use a headphone amp with a turntable you need a preamp in the chain, so would the E9 suffice?
eg. turntable>E9>another amp (my little dot I+)>headphones  ??

what is the purpose of a pre-amp.
educate me please :)

Quote:
The red and white output jacks on the back are RCA which are used for pre-amping.  Depending on what you are using the amp for, say for headphone listening, you will not use the red and white jacks.

Please describe exactly how you plan on using the amp.

For example:
PC ---> USB Cable ---> Total Bithead ( Amp ) ---> Headphone Out ---> AH-D2000 Headphones

The FiiO E9 by itself is simply a headphone amp with no DAC.  This means that if you are going to use it with a PC then all you will be doing is amplifying the already noisy signal on your computer.

If you want to stick with FiiO you probably need the FiiO E17.  I suggest going with the Total Bithead from Headphone.com as I and many others have had tremendous luck with the build quality.  The features are simple to use and you get both a USB DAC and a headphone amp.  A DAC can improve upon PC listening because it eliminates the noise often found on audio signal paths from the PC.

FiiO E17
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/fiio-e17-alpen.php

Total Bithead
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-total-bithead.php

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
this I don't really understand. what is the pre-amp feature (of the Fiio E9, for example) used for and why?

ie. when would you need a pre-amp? i've read that to use a headphone amp with a turntable you need a preamp in the chain, so would the E9 suffice?
eg. turntable>E9>another amp (my little dot I+)>headphones  ??

what is the purpose of a pre-amp.
educate me please :)

AFAIK, pre-amp is mostly used for hi-fi setups, I've rarely seen anyone use it for headphones, because the amplification is usually sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back