Confused about 5.5 Imod.
Jun 17, 2007 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tom10167

100+ Head-Fier
K I know I know I just want to make sure.

I don't plan on buying an Amp for a while but I just bought a 5.5.

Do I need anything other than the plain old Imod to use the headphone jack?

And the headphone jack is Imodded right?

I'mnotworthy!

Well, that's that
---
Unlike the 4th Generation iMod (see above), the 5G/5.5G iMod does NOT in any way alter the stock headphone output… it is not modified or disabled. Its functionality and sound quality of the headphone output remain “stock."
----
I suck at reading!

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 17
On the 5.5 iMod the headphone out is still fully functional. T use the iMod you need to get a special ALO cable to connect the dock plug to whatever form of amp (be it a headamp or preamp in a speaker rig) that you will need. Also dont connect the iMod to any other sound dock as it may damage your system downstream.

The 4'th gen iMod routes the line-out to the headphone jack and can not be used with headphones. Also the dock connector will no longer supply the sound signal and can only be used to charge and connect to a pc.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 17
You must use the imod with an amp. In the 5.5g imods, the mod is in both the ALO line out cable and in the ipod itself. It's sorta a package deal, though from three different places, in that you must have all.

I'm listening to my 5.5g imod as a type this with a Larroco PRII and HD650s....nice.

EDIT: I see now from reading nc8000s post that I may have misunderstood the op's question. Are you saying that you might want the ipod modded, but then wait to get the cable and the amp? It's possible I guess, but you wouldn't get hear the sq improvements.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 17
The headphone connector on the 5G/5.5G iMod are untouched (meaning its stock).
On the 4G iMod though, the headphone connector are modified into a high quality line out.

Jun 17, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 17
Right, but why use that if you go to the trouble and expense of getting it modded? That would be like spending money for nothing. Don't get half an imod. Stick with the ipod until you want to get and can afford the whole thing.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, but why use that if you go to the trouble and expense of getting it modded? That would be like spending money for nothing. Don't get half an imod. Stick with the ipod until you want to get and can afford the whole thing.

Good point.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 17
I think if you have 5G ipod then just buy ALO female mini dock(5G imod BG caps included) which have headphone jack and you willbe able to listen through ipod dock(better sound quality than ipod headphone jack). After you can buy ALO mini to mini cable and AMPs then you willbe able to listen through ipod dock with AMPs. On the last you can send your ipod to Vinnie for iMod and you are allset.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you have 5G ipod then just buy ALO female mini dock(5G imod BG caps included) which have headphone jack and you willbe able to listen through ipod dock(better sound quality than ipod headphone jack). After you can buy ALO mini to mini cable and AMPs then you willbe able to listen through ipod dock with AMPs. On the last you can send your ipod to Vinnie for iMod and you are allset.

good idea! if you have a 5g ipod right now, get a cheaper interconnect (not necessarily ALO, maybe diy), get a supermicro or affordable amp.

when time comes, you can send in your ipod to be imodded

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom10167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K I know I know I just want to make sure.

I don't plan on buying an Amp for a while but I just bought a 5.5.

Do I need anything other than the plain old Imod to use the headphone jack?

And the headphone jack is Imodded right?

I'mnotworthy!

Well, that's that
---
Unlike the 4th Generation iMod (see above), the 5G/5.5G iMod does NOT in any way alter the stock headphone output… it is not modified or disabled. Its functionality and sound quality of the headphone output remain “stock."
----
I suck at reading!

Hi Tom,

This might also be helpful info:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...8&postcount=19

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 17
ALO female mini dock comes with BG caps and HJ on otherside to use with headphones. So if mini to mini connect with it after done iMod and connect to AMPs. Then it willbe complete portable iMod setup without buying ALO iMod dock cable. Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good idea! if you have a 5g ipod right now, get a cheaper interconnect (not necessarily ALO, maybe diy), get a supermicro or affordable amp.

when time comes, you can send in your ipod to be imodded

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALO female mini dock comes with BG caps and HJ on otherside to use with headphones. So if mini to mini connect with it after done iMod and connect to AMPs. Then it willbe complete portable iMod setup without buying ALO iMod dock cable.

This does not make sense for normal listening with normal IEMs or headphones. The female dock is still a line-out, not a headphone jack. There is no volume control and the signal is quite strong for IEMs. I just tried it on my 5.5G iMod and the female dock connected to some cheaper Mylarone earphones (in case they were blasted I didn't want to risk my E500s). It was unbearably loud directly from the female dock. The only way to do this would be to use something like the Radio Shack KSC-75s that have an attenuator in-line. It *might* work, but not sure how well, and you certainly would not be getting anything like the full benefit of the iMod.

Like Boomana said, you should just wait to iMod until you can afford the whole package. In fact, it would seem that if you have enough cash for the iMod itself then the smarter thing to spend money on now is the amp and line-out dock/mini cable. That way you can enjoy a much-improved iPod experiene now and be ready for the iMod when you have the additional cash to spend on that.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Why not just get a better DAP from the start?

Just curious to know what you would sugest to better the iMod ?
I have not heard anything better, but ofcause that does not mean it does not exist.

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 17
iMod 5.5 is amazing!!!

There is no way back once you have listened to an iMod.

You have to trust your ears.

Regards

Jun 20, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 17
Damn! I am so tempted by the new iMod.
But sadly it don't seem promising for the iMod nano, which I am waiting for...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back