Conductor Air pocket sized USB DAC, Headphone Amp, Remote Controlled Preamp
Jul 12, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #46 of 142
For me personally this makes a very interesting offering for work, to use around the house and in hotel rooms.

I've got several $100-200 non battery amp/dac combos and I use them quite a lot so I guess that makes me a dinosaur :wink:

If the Air can come close to my V2+ in performance (with less power obviously) I'll be super happy with it, ymmw as always.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #47 of 142
I just ordered "early early bird" it and I want it to pair with my AK70.  I am looking for an external battery which is similar size as Air.  Not sure if Anker Astro E3 is too big in terms of size.  Otherwise, I will look for something like 5000Mah.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #49 of 142
see what's your def. of portable.  But I will sure bring it to my office and listen to my fav music during lunch time as well.  I tried to bring my Sound device 702 as a "portable" player few years ago...  haha

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #50 of 142
Chord mojo, dragon fly, oppo ha2, peachtree shift and many more. Can be stacked, only one cable and easily carried or pocketed while walking or riding a train to work. That's what I think of as portable. If it requires a tabletop to be used to me it's not really portable in today's world.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #51 of 142
I suppose when some people consider mobile, is just be able to easily bring your home office with you. I would totally bring it with me when heading overseas for a few weeks. I wouldn't bring my Burson Soloist. Thou this is my 2nd external dac. It's just a good option to even ditch my giant laptop and use my cellphone.

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #52 of 142
I suppose when some people consider mobile, is just be able to easily bring your home office with you. I would totally bring it with me when heading overseas for a few weeks. I wouldn't bring my Burson Soloist. Thou this is my 2nd external dac. It's just a good option to even ditch my giant laptop and use my cellphone.

+1, I'm not comfortable bringing the V2+ with me when traveling either :wink:

I've also been curious about the Ifi Ican micro but the Burson is higher on my list due to my excellent experience with the V2+ and the remote control....

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #53 of 142

Historically the Head-Fi community has used the term transportable to describe devices that are not easily portable or suited to mobile devices. Transportable once described products like the HeadRoom Micro and it still describes a class of products like the iFi micro iDSD-- and when you consider the Conductor Air in the appropriate context, it is an interesting piece from Burson. However, if it is compared against the Chord Mojo, the Conductor Air is DOA. This is why Burson needs to carefully market this product for use with PCs and demanding headphones.

Jul 12, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #54 of 142
I ordered "early early Bird" as this answers exactly my need for a dac+amp without external dc power . On the left of the picture my mobile set up used while outside transportation ( except planes where Bose qc15 is best without amp) or on the beach ...
On the right my transportable set-up where Conductor Air will replace the little grey box ( Chinese bluebird N1) to drive Audeze sine . Note the Sine are much too fragile to be used outside.
At home Hifiman 400i on burson conductor rules...
Now Waiting the end of August delivery !

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #55 of 142
I first became aware of Burson about 10 years ago from a friend with an ear for the exotic..stuff that was hard to find the US.

When finally got to use one their DACs in person, I finally understood his enthusiasm.

Fast forward, I absolutely love the time keeper power amp. Looking forward to new products that are in the pipeline.

Andre

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #56 of 142
Hey Guys, I've put about a solid 2 hours into the product now. Not much, but I have formed my initial impressions.

The Conductor Air (CAir), runs warm, which is a lot cooler than the mojo while charging.

I've been listening with hifiman 400i, it is possible that other cans will be able to discern greater differences.

For the first hour, I could not quite wrap my head around the sound due to the SQ being similar quality to my Dual Wolfson DAP ihifi960.

Detail retrieval is just as good as the 960.

It's got a lot more power than the 960. 50% = 90%

It doesn't do anything I don't like. It is definitely a neutral sound with no bass hump, and smooth highs. It may sound dumb, but the best way I can describe it is the Burson house sound.
Instead of bringing you in to analyse the track, you just want to lay back and listen to the music.

Just to be clear, this is 2 hours of critical listening. And it's my first time listening to the CAir and Mojo.

When compared to the Mojo, the main difference I noticed is that CAir puts the music right at your head.
Where the Mojo creates a more 3 dimensional sound with an empty background. 
Each note doesn't nearly catch my attention than how the entire song is presented.
I will definitely have to see if I can replicate this with my K702 and my speaker setup.
I am interested to determine whether the difference in soundstage and presentation is merely a difference in style, or sound quality.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #57 of 142
Hey Guys, I've put about a solid 2 hours into the product now. Not much, but I have formed my initial impressions.

The Conductor Air (CAir), runs warm, which is a lot cooler than the mojo while charging.

I've been listening with hifiman 400i, it is possible that other cans will be able to discern greater differences.

For the first hour, I could not quite wrap my head around the sound due to the SQ being similar quality to my Dual Wolfson DAP ihifi960.

Detail retrieval is just as good as the 960.

It's got a lot more power than the 960. 50% = 90%

It doesn't do anything I don't like. It is definitely a neutral sound with no bass hump, and smooth highs. It may sound dumb, but the best way I can describe it is the Burson house sound.
Instead of bringing you in to analyse the track, you just want to lay back and listen to the music.

Just to be clear, this is 2 hours of critical listening. And it's my first time listening to the CAir and Mojo.

When compared to the Mojo, the main difference I noticed is that CAir puts the music right at your head.
Where the Mojo creates a more 3 dimensional sound with an empty background. 

Each note doesn't nearly catch my attention than how the entire song is presented.
I will definitely have to see if I can replicate this with my K702 and my speaker setup.
I am interested to determine whether the difference in soundstage and presentation is merely a difference in style, or sound quality.

Very good first impression but a friendly reminder to share is my solo took 200 hrs before i start smiling.

In this case i am pretty sure just hook it up and run it at least 100 hrs with 24x7 fashion.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #59 of 142
newdoughboy
Great impressions, thanks!

I should be getting a black unit next week so I'll also be able to share my thoughts in a not too distant future.

I've got the Geek Out 720, DACport Slim and Shozy Lancea dac/amp combos in addition to the Burson V2+ to compare it with.

I've also got some amplifier only units to compare with if that's of interest.

Jul 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #60 of 142
I'm just learning about the Burson product line and the company itself. So far the people have been great at communication with me. That's always a good sign.

Most everything looks good on paper, but I'm waiting to get my hands, ears and brain on some of them. Do any of you own any of their other products and, if so, your impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back