Concert Ticket Prices - Seems Overly Expensive?!
Jun 29, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

mbriant - I bow to you, good sir. That is one spectacular concert list. I presume those are yours, given the venues?

[EDIT] Holy Crap, 1978, CFNY presents Cheap Trick... gahd how that radio station has slipped since.

I love live music and used to attend a lot of concerts...but have slowed down in recent years. However, I will be seeing Nickelback for the first time next week.

Re: CFNY Yes, it's not what it once was. I was lucky enough to have a good friend work for them for several years in the 80's, so I used to get invited to some of their stuff. In fact, before CFNY was born, the station was known as "CHIC FM", and another friend of mine, Paul Shultz, DJ'd the very first "underground" "alternative" album rock shows they used to do on Saturdays and Sundays around 1970 -1971. I used to hang out with him in the studio while he was broadcasting the show .... grovin' to Jimi, Deep Purple, Cream, etc. If I wasn't there, I'd phone him every week while he was working to get him to play Deep Purple's "Sweet Child In Time" and New York Rock & Roll Ensemble's "Gravedigger".....two songs I couldn't get enough of back then. Drove him nuts. One of the guys from NYR&RE went on to write the X-Files theme song many years later.

Tickets-5.jpg

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #17 of 37
One hell of a list. Here's mine.

There has to be at least 50 shows I'm forgetting about (smaller unknowns I've forgotten, locals, repeats, festivals) and still it doesn't reach the depth and breadth of your legacy.

I hope to catch up one day, hopefully with ears still in tact (long live ETY ER20s!).

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 37
why go see some 60-something, out-of-their-prime rock band from before i was born for $3294782903482309 when there's plenty of great local bands, free jazz music and the occasional symphony to be seen? there's at least a decent live music scene in any big city. you've just got to look!

and mbriant, you inspired me to start keeping my concert tickets.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 37
What the heck, while I've got them out and rambling like an old fart, here's some more oldies. The "Keith Richards" concert was his court sentence for getting busted at the border.

Tickets-6.jpg

Tickets-7.jpg

Tickets-8.jpg

Tickets-9.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheloniousMonk
and mbriant, you inspired me to start keeping my concert tickets.

Yes, they're great to have. If I hadn't of kept them, I probably wouldn't remember half of the concerts I attended. I wish I'd started keeping them before 1976, and unfortunately, I lost quite a few along the way as well. I've got plenty more but these do give an example of what concerts used to cost. $600 to see Bob Dylan today ... verses 11th row floor seats for $10.00 back then. I don't blame you for taking a pass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
One hell of a list. Here's mine.

Yikes....am I ever out of touch. I only recognize 10 names on that list, and haven't seen any of them live.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #22 of 37
Ah, you posted just as I edited. Deleted and reposted here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Yikes....am I ever out of touch. I only recognize 10 names on that list, and haven't seen any of them live.

Don't feel bad, man. I tend to have some pretty obscure and local tastes. Looking at yours, the jealousy is all mine. I mean, Robin Trower??? Zappa, Moody Blues, Blue Oyster Cult, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Costello...

...Good lord man, you even saw Richards' infamous "benefit" concert! INSANE!

Question for you - did you see much Canadian talent during that era? I see Cheap Trick, Healy, etc. on there, but I'm interested in some of the more obscure Canadian dinosaurs like Thundermug and Mashmakhan!

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they're great to have. If I hadn't of kept them, I probably wouldn't remember half of the concerts I attended. I wish I'd started keeping them before 1976, and unfortunately, I lost quite a few along the way as well. I've got plenty more but these do give an example of what concerts used to cost. $600 to see Bob Dylan today ... verses 11th row floor seats for $10.00 back then. I don't blame you for taking a pass.

yeah, might as well start while i'm young! and yeah, when Bob Dylan was in St. Louis performing at the Fox Theater, tickets cost a wholeee lot. i'm just too young to have that kinda money to spend on concerts. i saw My Morning Jacket live, front row center for free at a record store here, that more than makes up for it
wink.gif

and while we're on the subject of Canadian bands of old; anyone else here a fan of Lighthouse? they've got a concert recording available here, which is great.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Question for you - did you see much Canadian talent during that era? I see Cheap Trick, Healy, etc. on there, but I'm interested in some of the more obscure Canadian dinosaurs like Thundermug and Mashmakhan!

I saw most of the local bar bands during the 70's. I got into music heavily when I was aound 13 years old, so I did get to see quite a few successful Canadian and local Toronto bands starting in the late 60's. Mashmakahn, Guess Who, Edward Bear, McKenna Mendolson Mainline ( their album "Stink", is a classic), Lords of London, Stitch 'n Tyme, The Staccatos, Robbie Lane and the Disciples,The Ugly Ducklings, Rock Show of the Yeomen, were great talents that except for the Guess Who and the Staccatos who became the Five Man Electrical Band, never really broke out of the Canadian market. The Paupers (who were quite popular in California in the early San Fran Haight-Ashbury days), as well as the Mandala with the late, great, Dominic Triano, played at my public school in 1968. The Paupers later become Lighthouse who played at my high school in 1969 ... as did Alice Cooper. Skp Prokop founder and drummer for the Paupers and Lighthouse became a CFNY disc jockey and presently DJ's at, and is a minor owner of a small rock station in Oshawa. I've met him several times. A girl I used to party with at Ryerson wound up marrying one of the guitarists from Lighthouse. Last I heard, he and another Lighthouse alumni were writing commercial jingles. The singer, Bob McBride, became a hard core addict and died a few years ago after gaining notoriety for committing some small-time robberies.

There's an excellent CBC documentory that shows on TV now and then called "Shakin' All Over" which gives a good history of the Canadian music scene.

On a related note, sadly, Toronto lost Richard Bell, another of it's finest, on June 15 :
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2...t.html?ref=rss Oddly, the article doesn't even mention that he was a founding member and keyboardist for the band "Crowbar".

Sorry for hogging this thread, BTW.

Jun 29, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 37
Now I realize why I like classical music so much.

I have been to dozens and dozens of recitals and performances over the years and I have paid.....nothing!

In every case I had had some relationship with some of the principles in each performance....and a great time at the "Afterglow" to follow!

I'll bet this is way OT, though.
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #28 of 37
Yowza mbriant, that is one impressive concert catalog!

Just goes to my point that back then you could see shows for not much money, even with Canadian currency.
biggrin.gif
These weren't young acts starting out, these were headliners playing hockey arenas. You didn't have to look too hard to find them. We can bring forward those ticket prices to 2007 USD and it still wouldn't be the hundreds of dollars that a half decent act today costs to see.

Hard to top seeing Keith's concert for community service. Oh well, at least I saw Led Zep a few times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back