Concert sound preference. Indoors/Outdoors?
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
Remember your favorite concerts? Were they more in or out?

I've seen a lot of my favorite shows indoors but I think I most enjoyed the open venues outdoors for sound and smokefree (almost) environment. Outdoor shows are like a social event so you interact more with your neighbors. Indoor shows are usually too loud unless you can get in the sweet spot.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 14
indoors just about 100% of the time. usually smaller, more intimate ,more intensity, sound quality depends more on quality of venue than indoor/out I find

not sure I've ever been to a truly amazing outdoor show, but tons of indoor ones for sure

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Indoors. Went and saw Iron Maiden last year on a big stadium, but the stage was too far away, the sound was meh... But, since they always have to crank the volume at concerts to ridicolous levels it could be preferable not to have the walls bouncing the sound all around. If I didn't have plugs, I would have left the concert.

But generally, I prefer more intimate and smaller indoor events. ...And a seat hehe.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 14
The best concert sound is a live symphony in a concert hall. You can't beat that. And you don't have to worry about your ears ringing after the concert is over.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 14
Outdoors, Red Rocks FTW - especially front row
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best concert sound is a live symphony in a concert hall. You can't beat that. And you don't have to worry about your ears ringing after the concert is over.

damn straight, nothing compares to a concert hall especially to the Berlin Philharmonic Hall. Its the most amazing place I've been to, nowhere else has live music sounded so good. Definitely go there if you can.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Most of my exposure to live concerts consists of the local outdoor festivals here, Jazz Fest (huge) and French Quarter Festival (considerably smaller). The "atmosphere" for those is great but it's hardly audiophile paradise. A proper orchestra in a proper concert hall obviously sounds far superior... but my favorite venue for music is the small, intimate jazz club with chairs and drinks. Chamber music in an actual "chamber" is quite lovely as well.

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 14
Indoors with good acoustics (music hall, theater, etc.) is obvious first choice. But outside can be good in a small/medium ampitheater (Red Rocks, SPAC).
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Outdoors, Red Rocks FTW - especially front row
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 14
I agree with most others here, indoors is were its at. I have been to a couple of music festivals and most of them sounded bad.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indoors. Went and saw Iron Maiden last year on a big stadium, but the stage was too far away, the sound was meh... But, since they always have to crank the volume at concerts to ridicolous levels it could be preferable not to have the walls bouncing the sound all around. If I didn't have plugs, I would have left the concert.

But generally, I prefer more intimate and smaller indoor events. ...And a seat hehe.

Yeah, I went to ACDC a few weeks ago they played at a huge football stadium. Thank god I brought plugs! Without them there was so much high end that you couldn't even hear anything else. Seriously. I hate that about live shows. Turn it down!!!

Anydangways I'd say indoors if it's at a theatre designed around acoustics. Arenas aren't designed for concerts and they usually sound terrible.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, it really depends what kind of concert you are going to.

If you like to focus on the band and have good sound, an small high class indoor venue is the way to go. I saw Opeth at The Wiltern in 2006, and that was really nice. I also saw Virgin Black at the Hollywood HOB, and the sound was great.

If you want to go nuts and have the concert more about the atmosphere and fans, then a large outdoor event is the way to go. I saw Pantera during the 2000 Ozzfest, and it was a frickin' controlled riot. Sound sucked, but to watch people act like morons and almost set themselves on fire on the back lawn at the San Manuel Amphitheater (formerly the Glen Helen Pavilion, Hyundai Pavilion, and the Blockbuster Pavilion) in Devore was a trip.

Aug 7, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #14 of 14
It's a draw. I've been going back and forth between my two favorite venues (the Disney Concert Hall and the Greek Theater) and can't decide. Both have considerable charms. The Disney sounds superb and is a beautiful building - I actually prefer the inside to the outside. The Greek is open, warm and doesn't have a bad seat in the house. Either is wonderful and I can't choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back