Computers are noisy
Dec 12, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like background noise. How do you deal with the noise?

All analog outputs from a computer, even with a nice sound card, are going to have some ammount of noise. The easiest solution is to move your amplifier outside the confines of the metal box filled with EMI.

Normally, I use a digital output from the computer and run it to an external DAC like a receiver. Using the digital output you are only limited by the quality of your files.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 51
I'm using a cheap Terratec Xfire 1024 sound card, and it doesn't produce any noise when it's set to line out.

Maybe you should get a better sound card. Especially when you're using onboard sound at the moment.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 51
Better cooling, get a big, heavy copper/aluminium heatsink with a big, slow fan for your processor/graphics card.
If it is the hard drives install anti-vibration rubber grommets.
If it's your PSU you will have to upgrade it, if you get a new case + PSU combo get the heaviest case you can.
If it's your case fans get slower/larger models and/or fit a controller.

EDIT^ Thought you meant the noise of the computer not the interference it creates. I use a external DAC and Amp to overcome this.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basil101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better cooling, get a big, heavy copper/aluminium heatsink with a big, slow fan for your processor/graphics card.
If it is the hard drives install anti-vibration rubber grommets.
If it's your PSU you will have to upgrade it.
If it's your case fans get slower/larger models and/or fit a controller.

EDIT^ Thought you meant the noise of the computer not the interference it creates. I use a external DAC and Amp to overcome this.

I thought he might have meant that too. In that case, make a visit to silentpcreview.com | Everything about Silent / Quiet Computers

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an immediate fix, set the master volume to half (or lower) and raise the software volume.

Then look out for a cheap sound card, nothing under $100 (and nothing over $250).

EK

It makes alot more sense to use an existing digital output and invest in an external dac which is almost guaranteed to have a cleaner output.

Even if you do buy a sound card, you DO NOt need to spend over 100.00 to get decent quallity. The Chaintech AV-710 (30.00) has a well known reputation for excellent sound quality when using its Wolfson dac.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 51
I am a member of SPCR. My computer is almost as quiet as I can get it. I can't hear it without focusing. Thats how I deal. It wasn't cheap...but it was worth it.

Dec 12, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a member of SPCR. My computer is almost as quiet as I can get it. I can't hear it without focusing. Thats how I deal. It wasn't cheap...but it was worth it.

All of my systems have been overclocked 'silent' rigs. It's a huge challenge to do both of those at the same time, but its really rewarding I think.

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes alot more sense to use an existing digital output and invest in an external dac which is almost guaranteed to have a cleaner output.

Even if you do buy a sound card, you DO NOt need to spend over 100.00 to get decent quallity. The Chaintech AV-710 (30.00) has a well known reputation for excellent sound quality when using its Wolfson dac.

Integrated DAC/amps start at about $200. The OP didn't mention a budget but might as well start small.

Also, the Chaintech is nowhere near noiseless. I heard interference with practically everything I connected to it.

To OP: Try reducing the master volume first, to see if that's enough.

EK

EDIT: Just checked the post history and the OP has a DAC1 USB. So he's obviously talking about fan and hard drive noise, since there's no interference over USB. Try SilentPcReview.com

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 51
I had my AKGs connected to the analog out of my X-fi once, yes those outs are very very noisy. The front bay headphone out however was not very noisy, and using coax to a Yamaha receiver, I have no noise at any reasonable listening volume.

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of my systems have been overclocked 'silent' rigs. It's a huge challenge to do both of those at the same time, but its really rewarding I think.

I agree. Thank God C2D has such a low thermal output, I am running my Ultra 90 without a fan right now, the pull from the 120mm exhaust on the back of the case is enough to keep things about 58c full load.

Since you're talking computers here, what are you running? Odds are that with some simply replacements like CPU heatsinks, you can significantly cut down on noise. If you don't want to replace your case but would like to beef it up a bit to cut down on vibrations, check out Sonex. It's great stuff - minimizes side panel vibration a lot and helps cut down on fan drone.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 51
The cheapest solution to get a silent PC is to keep the main unit in another room or a closet. Pretty silent and what's best, you worry about no temperatures because you can use a number the noisiest fans. That's my ideal "silent" PC.

Dec 13, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 51
It was a couple thousand more than doing the same thing "noisy" but I recently built a PC that is quieter than the noise floor in my silent room in the middle of the night. The loudest thing in the room is the monitor hum and I went through half a dozen models to get the quietest, then modded it too.

Hard drives are the biggest challenge by far. A slowed 2.5" drive in about 4 layers of soundproofing, scythe case, suspended inside a box etc is inaudible from 1ft away. I use normal drives, still quietened for most things but they turn off after 5 min of inactivity, then I can browse and run foobar in silence.

The P180 case weighs nearly 50lb now.

In a SBT no one can pick whether it's on or not.

It was well worth it to me.

As for EMI, only an optical out has been a clean signal for me. Everything else I've tried still has traces of being PC based if you crank it up during silence in tracks. Even coaxial digital had noise. Hopefully the Pico is quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back