Computers are noisy
Jan 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DSlayerZX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go to any electronic store, find the TV section, put two TV that has 60HZ and 120HZ refresh rate (in my case, two Sony 40" monitor)
right next to each other and tell me that you can't tell me the difference when watching high def movie.

There were about 5 of us in front of those two TV for around 20 minutes trying to figure out the difference.between them (besides the slight color difference)
the TV was displaying frames of still pictures, the difference was clear once we ask the people work there and he put in a blue ray pirates into the player.
the difference became very clear when the action started.

and also, to some pose above
around 20 (from my memory of watching on of the discovery show, its 18fps)
is the frequency that pictures need to be shown to make our eyes see continues moving between frames

but even at 20, the motion isn't exactly smooth

Indeed, and the edge of our visual area are even more capable of detecting "flicker" than the center of our vision. 60Hz is easily detectable, which is why a lot of people turn their CRT monitor to 72Hz or higher to avoid the problem. But even then, the CRT were actually still taking a toll as an eyestrain even when we cannot notice the flicker itself.

Which is why I love LCDs, especially when I can move my hand across the monitor and not have to see my hand skip across the display area... :p

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by impressive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think PCs make more noises.. but a laptop doesnt make any.. i have experienced this...
i wonder why this happens?

Luck, on your part. Electrically and sonically loud notebooks abound, as do PCs, and the same for quiet instances of both.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #49 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But even then, the CRT were actually still taking a toll as an eyestrain even when we cannot notice the flicker itself.

My eye & regular doctors says otherwise.

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My eye & regular doctors says otherwise.

Well, if you see from the corner of your eye, you can easily see 60Hz flicker. If you stare at the monitor all day long, your eye gets tired more easily. (Which is why Plasma TV is completely ruled out of my new year wish list...:p)

IMHO, could be that your doctor stares at the patients more so than they do at the the CRT. (Which is what they are supposed to do...)

Jan 15, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Well, if you see from the corner of your eye, you can easily see 60Hz flicker.

I can see 75hz with the center of my eye.

Quote:

If you stare at the monitor all day long, your eye gets tired more easily.

My monitor is a 24 inch widescreen, 1920x1200 @ 100hz. I look at it all day, and my eyes don't get tired.

Quote:

could be that your doctor stares at the patients more so than they do at the the CRT.

Could be that he went to college and got a degree in Optometry (My eye doctor at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back