Computers and "digital rights" (NO platform wars)
Oct 4, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
A friend of mine recently "upgraded" to WinXP SP1 and discovered that he couldn't play his (not-quite-legal) MP3s...

I have XP SP1, and ALL of my MP3s still work perfectly ok...

Even with WMP9, no problems to report here... strange?!

Oct 4, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

I have XP SP1, and ALL of my MP3s still work perfectly ok...

Yeah, mine too... no problems there

Quote:

Even with WMP9, no problems to report here... strange?!

No, not strange-I didn't mean to imply that WMP9 used any sort of DRM, I don't know about that. We just had some troubles encoding (or maybe the player had troubles decoding) some videos in the WMP9 format. Thing is, the player sometimes refuses to play some standard types of video files (or at least ours did) and you can't uninstall/reinstall it...have to wait for the final version to come out to fix the bugs.
frown.gif
Oh well... we still got other players.

Oct 4, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #18 of 37
I certainly would choose a computer/operating system to avoid these sorts of "checks". I am constantly frustrated by the direction we as consumers are being forced down by the media industries.

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 37
There have already been rumors that this 'feature' will be defeatable in the bios, much like the P3 ID number. Having said that however, it is important to remember that it is quite easy to deny any computer that does not have these DRM specs from content. For instance, ATT, AOL and many other company's are racing to offer you on demand tv, and such. Websites could implement this feature rather easily as well. The only real deterrent to these companies’s that produce such chips is going to be $$, hit em where it hurts and they will get the hint.

Oct 4, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 37
WMP 9 does use a version of DRM, it should be easily found with a search on google.

Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
Yeah, mine too... no problems there

No, not strange-I didn't mean to imply that WMP9 used any sort of DRM, I don't know about that. We just had some troubles encoding (or maybe the player had troubles decoding) some videos in the WMP9 format. Thing is, the player sometimes refuses to play some standard types of video files (or at least ours did) and you can't uninstall/reinstall it...have to wait for the final version to come out to fix the bugs.
frown.gif
Oh well... we still got other players.

Oct 5, 2002 at 10:15 AM Post #21 of 37
Fact: Any platform that implements restrictive DRM controls and does not have a hack available will NOT get my money.

I'm tired of being treated like a criminal. Actually, I'm tired of being a criminal.

I download MP3 files to listen to music I haven't heard before. I buy also a lot of CDs. I'm not hurting anyone. Why the **** is what I'm doing illegal?

[size=xx-small]note to law enforcement agencies and the RIAA:

The above is a work of fiction, and its copyright is reserved. any use of the above passage in any lawsuit or charge will constitute copyright infringement, which will be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed by law.

The above message is also encrypted using ROT26 technology. any reverse engineering of the encryption to decipher the copyrighted message will constitute a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed by law.[/size]

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by lucien
[size=xx-small]note to law enforcement agencies and the RIAA:

The above is a work of fiction, and its copyright is reserved. any use of the above passage in any lawsuit or charge will constitute copyright infringement, which will be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed by law.

The above message is also encrypted using ROT26 technology. any reverse engineering of the encryption to decipher the copyrighted message will constitute a violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed by law.[/size]

Lucien, I think I may have accidently deciphered your message while reading it. Please let me know where you want me to send the licensing fees -- I hope we can settle this without going to court.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by acs236
Lucien, I think I may have accidently deciphered your message while reading it. Please let me know where you want me to send the licensing fees -- I hope we can settle this without going to court.

I wish I could help you mate, but the law is the law. You'll be hearing from my lawyers.
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 37
lucien: "using ROT26 technology" - ahhh, that's one of my favourites, too.
wink.gif

Anyway, to me it seems that Linux and FreeBSD will be our best bets for an x86-PC-OS not to come up with any DRM nonsense. I'm not so sure about MacOS - Apple might jump on the bandwagon sooner or later, too. That might depend upon whether Apple defines the majority of their users to be end-users (high DRM probability) or professionals (low DRM probability).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #25 of 37
lini, I'm not even sure that Linux will be able to save us if the controls are embedded in the hardware as well.

One can but hope -- if getting around the controls will be possible, then Linux is certainly the most likely candidate for an open platform, but what I've read so far about the whole Palladium thing really frightens me. I'm still not entirely clear on how it'll work though -- need to do some more reading.

One thing's for sure though... If Eldred v Ashcroft goes the wrong way, the DMCA stands its first serious test in court, shrinkwrap EULA conditions get upheld in trial, and Palladium is launched, we're looking at a future where customers are treated like criminals more than ever before.

The saddest part is that short of Disney et al, I don't know of anyone who supports these laws. Your average person in the street certainly isn't going to be too chuffed about an album they can't listen to on their MP3 player or what have you.

But nobody seems to be fighting. People just don't take an interest until it's too late. Same with Bush's suspension of habeus corpus recently. Where is the uproar? If that one slips by with nary a protest, how can we expect to have people showing their anger of content protection laws?

I predict that the content behemoths will win. I predict that the lawmakers will continue to laze comfortably in the pockets of big business. I predict that the vocal minority will get more vocal, and that the majority won't know or care enough to listen.

It's a sad time when legislation is bought and sold. I'm sure it's not a new thing, but I've not seen more obvious cases before than Eldred v Ashcroft.

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 37
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Eldred v. Ashcroft involve the Copyright Term Extension Act and not the DMCA? While the CTEA, I believe, is bad law as well, and hope the Supreme Court strikes it (highly, highly unlikely), I think the DMCA is much more menacing, and has been consistently upheld.

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 37
acs236, Eldred v Ashcroft is about copyright term extensions, which I see as just as important.

While you've got the DMCA restricting all sorts of uses of new content, the CTEA is making sure that old content stays under the control of the copyright holders.

Have a look at the Eldred case and you'll find that the CTEA is restricting all sorts of uses of work which should be in the public domain by now. In some ways, this is just as bad as the DMCA.

Luce

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #28 of 37
I agree with you that the CTEA is a major problem. Unfortunately, holding it unconstitutional would mean that just about every post-creation copyright extension in this country's history -- and there have been many -- would become constitutionally suspect, and I don't think the court is willing to overrule years and years of copyright law.

Oct 8, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #29 of 37
that's exactly why it NEEDS to pass.

as near as i can tell, copyrights exist for the same reason patents do -- to allow the creator of an invention or what we now refer to as 'content' to profit from it for a reasonable amount of time. in this way, you provide incentive to create new things.

having congress decide afterwards that there are too many powerful lobbies who depend on copyright for their continued obscene profits is not an okay reason to pass a law.

i'm all for obscene profits when people are producing things. i have no problem with that. but when work never passes into the public domain, we are poorer as a society.

do a google search for the ASCAP / Girl Scouts case to see what i'm talking about.

imagine if school orchestras couldn't play beethoven without paying royalties. what if the bible/koran/torah/whatever were copyrighted?

if you read lessig's arguments, particularly about the lack of a safeguard against indefinite extentions, you can start to see a picture of a world with permanent copyrights. hint: bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back