Computers and "digital rights" (NO platform wars)
Oct 3, 2002 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
This URL leads to an interesting article about computer makers and "Digital Rights Management"

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/4193833.htm

It basically talks about how Intel, AMD, and Microsoft are caving to the entertainment industry, while Apple is declining to include the types of "protection" that the industry is demanding.

One example that has been widely discussed is Intel's possible decision to include code on the CPU itself that would restrict the use of certain types of data/material. Microsoft has begun adding similar restrictions to Windows, and there are efforts being made to allow software vendors to actually connect to your computer and modify data that resides there in order to "protect" digital rights.

Given all the discussion here about copy-protected CDs and the like, I found the article interesting. Would you buy a particular computer (or not buy it) based on whether or not such types of "protection" were included? (AMD vs. Intel, Windows vs. non-Windows, etc.)

NOTE: This is NOT a platform war thread, nor should any discussion in this thread resort to PC-bashing or Apple-bashing or Linux-bashing, etc. I don't reallyl care about your feelings for particular vendors or operating systems. I'm asking a serious question -- given the current and future environment for restricting certain features based on "digital rights," will such restrictions affect the type of computer you buy?

Oct 3, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 37
A friend of mine recently "upgraded" to WinXP SP1 and discovered that he couldn't play his (not-quite-legal) MP3s...

DRM is coming. IT WILL AFFECT [size=medium]YOU.[/size] Imagine not being able to play your whole music collection, or having to pay everytime you play that DVD... Or software that goes "obsolete" when the manufacturer tells it to. Or governments/companies/scientologists being able to 'revoke' any electronic document that they don't like being public.

I'm not being Orwellian - all these things are planned!

The only way to stop it is widespread protest - tell your friends!

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 37
damn. sounds like i'll be using my good old dual p3 933 box with windows 2000 pro for a lot longer than i was planning.
biggrin.gif

screw them. there will be work arounds and windows media player sucks anyway.

there would have to be some pretty heavy-duty copy-protection crap before i changed from buying intel and/or amd. there will certainly be easier ways to block them; firewalls come to mind.

Oct 3, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 37
MacDEF,

Good topic. I wouldn't buy a machine if it incorporates these "features," if need be, i would definitely switch platforms to avoid it...or go back to win98

eek.gif

Or rely on hackers to beat them at their own game

Oct 3, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
there will certainly be easier ways to block them; firewalls come to mind.

But it's not just one-way like that... many of the new DRM systems work in a way that in order to launch an application, or play an MP3, your computer has to contact THEM first. So, for example, each time you want to launch, say, Microsoft Word, your computer has to contact Microsoft's servers and get a unique, time-sensitive code. If it doesn't, Word will refuse to launch. A sophisticated hack might be able to get around this, but a firewall won't
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 37
I hate to have to say this, but: ********. No way am I going to be both connected to the internet all the time, nor am I going to let Microsoft know what documents I'm opening. Remember all that fuss about media player sending microsoft the names of the DVDs you watched, and how quickly that "feature" got removed?

Remember the P III and its processor ID #? Remember how mad people in tech circles were over it? What happened? It became optional and was removed alltogether on the P-4. Wait until the privacy groups get a hold of this one, they will have a ball.

Plus it is easy enough for the companies to say "yeah, we'll do it." They will rethink their plans however when all of a sudden chip size, complexity, failure rates, and development time goes up. The competition between chip manufacturers is fierce.

If, by some devilry, does happen, I won't buy it, even if that means switching OSs. Hell, by that time Linux should be in even better shape than it is today.

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Or rely on hackers to beat them at their own game

gloco's exactly right. I am willing to wager that there are about equal numbers of extremely talented programmers on each side of this thing. What is probably going to happen is DRM will be introduced, and DRM hacks will follow soon after. Will it be legal? No, but it's not legal now. That's enough to satisfy me as a "techie" type of person.

My personal approach is to know (and I mean KNOW) in and out, completely, the operating system and software you are using. If it's Windows, learn practically every file, know the registry like the back of your hand, watch every installation like a hawk. Staying current is your only real defense in this thing. Additionally, KNOW at least one other OS. I know OSX backwards and forwards and am working on Linux, to keep my options open. If DRM gets introduced on my platform choice (du jour as it has been lately) I will run two OS's until one gets cracked or yeah, I'll completely switch.

Then you have the general public. I honestly think that a lot of these DRM methods are going to confuse the crud out of new computer users (the $899 Dell crowd comes to mind), much to the detriment of the efforts of computer/software manufacturers to make the systems easy to use. As soon as the burden of handling all of the problems and questions and confusion associated with DRM fall on the computer and hardware manufacturers, I bet dimes to dollars we'll see it drop. I could be wrong here, but if I am that just means that the general public will just call the "computer guy" they know to come patch their system illegally so they can get on with their life.

On a similar but twisted note--did anybod read the blip about the newest breed of spyware installed with Kazaa 2.0? I swear, that thing (Kazaa in general) is so poorly written, buggy, and loaded with spyware that I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is actually a product of the music industry. Hehee, you heard it here first.

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 37
I think the expression "NOS computers" is about to become a bit more commonplace...

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
On a similar but twisted note--did anybod read the blip about the newest breed of spyware installed with Kazaa 2.0? I swear, that thing (Kazaa in general) is so poorly written, buggy, and loaded with spyware that I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is actually a product of the music industry. Hehee, you heard it here first.

I saw that too... didn't bother to download it though. The old one works, why fix something that ain't broken?

Oct 4, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 37
BS: Don't bet on it. MSFT is using the Xbox as their DRM testbed - and they're doing pretty well against some talented people with lots to gain (An anonymous donor has offered $200,000 in two parts to the group or person that gets Linux running on the Xbox; thatsa lotta Etys
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 4, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 37
Heehee...I'm just as surprised as anybody.

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/

Check it out... screenshots and everything.
I can't find the link now, but if I'm not mistaken, someone has actually gotten Windows 2000 to run under linux on an xbox. Seems like that link was on slashdot, but I can't remember for sure. It may be slow or limited function at first, but it will get there.

Oct 4, 2002 at 2:24 PM Post #15 of 37
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-960731.html?tag=cd_mh

Don't be so quick to rule out the possibilities. I especially like the requirement this bill has that all copy protected cds must have a "prominent and plainly legible" warning on them.

Anyway, I didn't say that it would never happen, I just ment that if it did, I would never buy it, and neither would a lot of other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back