Computer speakers - Need help deciding
Apr 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #16 of 49
I can vouch for the AV40s - great speakers. The amp they have powers headphones as well, it's not just a pass-through.

I also heard the amp is quite good, some people ran their HD600's or HD650's through it and said it sounded pretty damn decent.

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would also suggest avoiding the PC speakers.

unless you're talking about the NHT M-00s . . . but he said 200 shipped, then again, the M-00s aren't your typical computer speakers.

I was thinking the A2s paired with an inexpensive DAC (like the fubar II)

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #23 of 49
I would suggest the A2 or A5 from Audio Engine. You can get an optional Bass if you want from them too.
I was shopping for speakers for my mac last month and the 2 brands I focused on was M-Audio AV40 and Audio Engine A2 (after hearing many good things about them).
I ended up getting the Audio Engine A2 because it have a good price, good size for my desk, and good sound from many reviews I've read about them. I didn't get the AV40 because, although they sounds good, I've read from several places that it breaks down easily (that's what I've read on several reviews, can't vouch for it).
I am now using the A2s and they are very good for the price I've paid.I got 10% off from entering coupon, I think it was DHT10 (not sure if it still works). I've hooked up mine to the DAC1 Pre and they sounds great. I would've gotten the A5s if it wasn't for it's size. The A5s just won't fit my glass desk.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #26 of 49
You are going to be unhappy with any of those speakers compared to your headphones. They work fine, but....

Best thing to do is find the local online or brick and mortar which deals used gear. Get a decent used amp and some real speakers. That will be much more like your headphones + sound stage. Aussie? I can't really help you there but there are several good companies down under. Root about. Be patient and persistent.

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How big are the A2?

I just took a picture for size comparison with a Nintendo DSi. Hope this helps.

3468610640_63f4091037_o.jpg

As people mentioned above, there are many other options. The roads to good speakers are unending. But overall, for the price and quality, I think A2s are great choice for music.

I used to have the Bose companion 3 as well, but I've learned to understand that what garbage they are.

However, if you want the heavy and booming bass, then I suggest you find something with a separate bass. Not saying the A2s lack bass, but I think they are good enough for music, but some bassheads many suggest otherwise (this depends on how you define heavy bass, personally I think they have good bass).

A2 are more near field speakers, so don't expect them to fill the room (again, this depends on how you define "fill", personally I think they are loud). I would've gotten the A5s if it's not for the size.

Also, putting some mopads under them make them sound even better.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 49
no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back