Computer speakers - Need help deciding
Apr 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
Right, I think I've had enough of the Bose Companion 2 speakers I got before my audiophile days as they sound positively horrible after being so used to my Ultrasones and IE8.

So, whats a good set of speakers that I can pick up on the cheap (like, $200USD shipped cheap) which will reward me with much better sound? At the moment, I have an external USB to optical converter connected to a Zero DAC, and I'm using the Zero's RCA out to connect to the Bose.

I guess I'm looking for a speaker version of my Ultrasones 900s. The main constrain is that whatever I get needs to be about the size of the Companion 2s since I have very limited computer deskspace. I'm willing to buy 2nd hand as well, so that should open me up to more options.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 49
I'd strongly recommend a stereo integrated amp and a pair of passive speakers. Don't waste your time with the usual PC speakers.

Speakers the size of the Bose won't sound great due to the laws of physics. If you don't have enough desk space, I'd consider another desk with better space managment. I doubt you have as much stuff on my desk, and I'll still got space for two full width amps.

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 49
if you have enough room on your desk for a 5.1 i strongly recommend the altec lansing fx5051 or the fx4021 if you do not have much space. amazing products

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 49
For $200 shipped you could get M-Audio AV40s or Audioengine 2's or if you can find some there's usually some M-Audio BX5s. Swan M200 MkIIs will put you slightly over $200 by maybe 10 bucks. You said you like the sound of the Ultrasones which I'm unfamiliar with so I'm not going to recommend one or the other of these four speaker choices although I personally don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 49
ditto the m-audios...i cobbled together a used 2.1 m-audio setup (bx8's and sbx i think) and it shakes the windows...

Quote:

Originally Posted by evu325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $200 shipped you could get M-Audio AV40s or Audioengine 2's or if you can find some there's usually some M-Audio BX5s. Swan M200 MkIIs will put you slightly over $200 by maybe 10 bucks. You said you like the sound of the Ultrasones which I'm unfamiliar with so I'm not going to recommend one or the other of these four speaker choices although I personally don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Apr 18, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 49
I suggest the audioengine A2 they sound really good and there very versatile.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 49
the m-audios are active so thats one less box off your desktop...depending on which model you get they have a variety of inputs trs/xlr...

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 49
...and rca...

M-AUDIO - Reference Monitors

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the m-audios are active so thats one less box off your desktop...depending on which model you get they have a variety of inputs trs/xlr...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back