Computer speakers, low sound, amp going out?
Jul 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mrmarcdee

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've got a set of 2.1 computer speakers. The satellites look exactly like the ones here but the subwoofer is different and mine are Insignia brand. Power connects to the subwoofer which connects to the satellites, which connect to the computer. They used to work just fine, but now I can't turn them up loud enough. The sound sounds fine, it just can't get louder. I connected them to a cmoy headphone amp and was able to turn them up plenty loud enough (and yes I know thats not good for the headphone amp, it was only for a little bit). Does that mean that the amps in the speakers are going out somehow? I'm trying to decide if I should get new speakers or just some sort of amp.

Please advise me on this situation.
Thank you,
Marc Dillon

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Can somebody help confirm my suspicions that the amp in the actual speakers is going bad? Or is there maybe something else wrong somewhere? I don't want to buy a new set of speakers and have them not work very well because something else was the problem.

Thanks
Marc

Jul 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 3
From your description, the speakers are passive (with the amp in the subwoofer) and seem to working fine.  Usually Active (amped) speakers will not work with an external amp.

Are the speakers light and subwoofer heavy?

I would suspect the amp in the Sub is the issue but curious if the subwoofer works from the pc or is it dead too?   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back