Computer Source VS Stand Alone CD Player
Oct 10, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshdhead
I dont agree. Today a well designed sound card(that "sound card" sounds cheap I know because it produced rather poor quality a few years ago) can generate near perfect line out quality. The line out signal quality is measurable by many popular tools.

Then why the best CD player still can survive with high price ? It is just somewhat similar playing DVD movie in your PC vs in stand along DVD player. They have their own purpose. It is nothing to do with picture quality.

For functionality, PC is far more prgrammable and useful than any best possible players. But using PC, you need OS/drivers and bug prone because of extreme complex PC environment today. A serious software driver for sound system in PC take more than a year with several experienced engineers to complete to useful level.

Hehe funny since my PC DVD player probably looks better than any DVD player under $1000.

FFDShow upsampling/filter on an Athlon 64 and a 720p LCD is my setup.

I would love to find a DVD player under $1000 that looks better. If so I will replace my PC.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
confused.gif

Please explain how a PC based system where you can access 1,000's of songs at any time instantly with the click of a mouse is "clearly less conveniant" than having to change each CD and being either forced to listen to the whole CD, or having to change a CD every couple of songs?

We all must have a PC if we are posting here, so your logic doesn't make sense.

Are you saying the whole market for stand alone CD players is so people won't have to deal with windows? LOL
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Please explain me how long you take to put 1000 songs and check them in a PC, and later on what you do with the CDs, other that selling them used for pennies (which is also illegal). And if any song get damaged later on, and you have sold the CDs, how to get it again, purchasing again the CD or illegally downloading it...??? Also how do you read and keep the artwork, scanning it? How long it will take as well? If hard drives were ready available with the music inside that were a lot more logical, but to get them virgin and spend six months later on filling them, to be optimistic, that makes no much sense to me....

Now the last one, how about high resolution formats??? How to play them via a PC???

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #18 of 47
ha ha this is getting silly. Well, every PC based system I've heard was inferior to a simple sub $1K CD player, and not by a little bit.

So, I won't try to argue anymore and simply say until I hear a PC based system that even comes close to an average dedicated CD player (redbook, not even SACD or DVD-A), I will stick to the stand alone players or transport-DAC combos.

You can beleive whatever makes you happy
wink.gif

Anyway, lets go back to arguing why the GS-1000 sounds is compareable to the R10, OII, etc. and sucks all at the same time
gs1000.gif

By the way this has been an enjoyeable thread (in all seriousness) giving me little breaks here and there from the work day. Thanks all for the discussion without anyone getting butt hurt or taking things personally
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Please explain me how long you take to put 1000 songs and check them in a PC, and later on what you do with the CDs, other that selling them used for pennies (which is also illegal). And if any song get damaged later on, and you have sold the CDs, how to get it again, purchasing again the CD or illegally downloading it...??? Also how do you read and keep the artwork, scanning it? How long it will take as well? If hard drives were ready available with the music inside that were a lot more logical, but to get them virgin and spend six months later on filling them, to be optimistic, that makes no much sense to me....

Now the last one, how about high resolution formats??? How to play them via a PC???

You can be a lot more efficient than that if that's how you go about it.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

With iTunes, all the Artwork is automatically loaded. Also on a Mac, you can set it to also fetch the lyrics once the song plays. There's nothing to loading a CD. Set it to automatically import and eject the cd when finish. It fetches all the album info so there is nothing you need to manually enter. If you use lossless, you never have to worry about formats changing.

How is selling a cd illegal. What about all the used cd stores? So far I've kept all my cds but I'm thinking of getting a backup hard drive and selling them all for a few dollars a piece.

Anyway, pc setups are much more convenient once it's setup but most people have no idea of how to get their music from the computer to their stereo. It's just much easier to pop in cd and be done with it.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec
That's a huge, and illegitimate generalization - it's just like saying that all CDs get scratched and eventually stop playing. It all depends on your skill at maintaining your operating system/cd collection in good working condition. .

yeah, kinda-not really. You took one caveat out of context and from a list (that was casually stated on purpose) of suggestions I was merely adding to the stir to help conceptualize for this thread, and was not getting too granular-like
wink.gif
)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec
I honestly don't remember the last time when either of my computers crashed (both PCs with Windows XP).

That is cool, I recall the last time my PC crashed..it was last week
plainface.gif
(no Mac here, still PC) - I do not think I am making a "huge generalization" like you say, sorry. Actually here is something interesting on this topic from PCMag and although dated, the information is relevant to todays industry, as there are those on XP, 98, etc still.. Shown below is an excerpt and above the link..

Gates said that 5 percent of Windows machines crash, on average, twice daily. Put another way, this means that 10 percent of Windows machines crash every day, or any given machine will crash about three times a month.

There will always be the dangers of clashing software, improper/unauthorized updates, and viruses for the Windows system to have to deal with..
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
HDCD and Gold Discs are perfectly rippable. I'm not sure if there is a true HDCD decoder in foobar but windows media player does I believe. Gold Discs are just RBCD's held to a higher standard of mixing/mastering so there is no problem on that one.
I much prefer using CD's and LP's. I don't mind a bookcase full of media and yeah...the hassle of ripping is um....a big one.

Thanks Z, well put and helped clear up the question I had on Gold and HDCD type discs, as well as SACD..I will be listening to redbook and vinyl for a long time coming..it is safe to say
smily_headphones1.gif

edit spelling

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Hehe funny since my PC DVD player probably looks better than any DVD player under $1000.

FFDShow upsampling/filter on an Athlon 64 and a 720p LCD is my setup.

I would love to find a DVD player under $1000 that looks better. If so I will replace my PC.

At the end, they should have similar pictue quality and only depends on display quality. PC may have some advantage to reach that end because of software decoder and video processing.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
With iTunes, all the Artwork is automatically loaded. Also on a Mac, you can set it to also fetch the lyrics once the song plays. There's nothing to loading a CD. Set it to automatically import and eject the cd when finish. It fetches all the album info so there is nothing you need to manually enter. If you use lossless, you never have to worry about formats changing.

How is selling a cd illegal. What about all the used cd stores? So far I've kept all my cds but I'm thinking of getting a backup hard drive and selling them all for a few dollars a piece.

Any, pc setups are much more convenient once it's setup but most people have no idea of how to get their music from the computer to their stereo. It's just much easier to pop in cd and be done with it.

Well said.

Even after reading Audiogon, seems more and more people are moving to computer as transport. Heck even hifi companies have caught on; one of my favorites Bel Canto Design has added USB to their $2500 DAC.

We're headed in the right direction. Once USB to I2S kicks off things will really be rolling.

Quote:

At the end, they should have similar pictue quality and only depends on display quality. PC may have some advantage to reach that end because of software decoder and video processing.

On my LCD there is a huge difference between the PC filtering and the crap that non-videophile DVD players use. I invite anyone to come see the difference.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Well said.

Even after reading Audiogon, seems more and more people are moving to computer as transport. Heck even hifi companies have caught on; one of my favorites Bel Canto Design has added USB to their $2500 DAC.

We're headed in the right direction. Once USB to I2S kicks off things will really be rolling.

On my LCD there is a huge difference between the PC filtering and the crap that non-videophile DVD players use. I invite anyone to come see the difference.

Read it again. I say "at the end". It is not ended yet.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "at the end". At the end of the DVD lifespan?
confused.gif

When no more new codecs format come out, like blue ray/hddvd fight. For example, today's dvd decoder and video processing technique have exhausted all the possible ways that human eye can detect differences. But one display could show you better picture than the other.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
You can be a lot more efficient than that if that's how you go about it.
wink.gif

Maybe if your job is being sit full time in front of the PC doing that, but after working 8 hours, driving a few more, taking a shower, sleeping, taking care of the family, tell me how the hell I could be more efficient ripping?????

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

When no more new codecs format come out, like blue ray/hddvd fight. For example, today's dvd decoder and video processing technique have exhausted all the possible ways that human eye can detect differences. But one display could show you better picture than the other.

There is a point of diminishing returns in video, just like in audio. But we'll always be trying to achieve perfection without getting there.

There will always be new video formats and codecs. Technology is always changing. HDDVD and blue ray is not the end.

The need for better formats is required since with bigger screens higher resolution and better digital transfer is required.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Maybe if your job is being sit full time in front of the PC doing that, but after working 8 hours, driving a few more, taking a shower, sleeping, taking care of the family, tell me how the hell I could be more efficient ripping?????

The easiest way is when you want to listen to a disc, rip at the same time. Over time all your discs will be ripped. That is, if you listen with your comp.

Oct 10, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
The easiest way is when you want to listen to a disc, rip at the same time. Over time all your discs will be ripped. That is, if you listen with your comp.

You can also set it to rip on insertion of a disc into a drive. To speed things up I don't bother listening to it while it ripping.

At the moment my PC is my main source.

I am not sure on whether a PC V cd transport with regards to which is better or worst.

I did try it once but I couldn't bypass kmixer so I gave up.

But the points on the Gs1k are interesting from both sides nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back