Computer question: Using a P4 heatsink for core2duo
May 8, 2007 at 3:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
When I dissembled my dell P4, it came out with a rather impressive looking heatsink that looks a lot like this.
http://www.plycon.com/cpuc/tr_hr01.jpg
Now, this seems a little too good to throw away. I have a core2duo system running on the stock intel fan. Is there any way to incorporate this heatsink into the current cpu cooling?

Sorry, this might be a ridiculous question.

May 8, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 16
I wouldn't, but you can try it. Download a core duo temp monitor like intel TAT or CoreTemp and see how well it does under load. I'd be willing to bet the stock intel fan will give you better temps.

May 8, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't, but you can try it. Download a core duo temp monitor like intel TAT or CoreTemp and see how well it does under load. I'd be willing to bet the stock intel fan will give you better temps.

What i mean is, perhaps they can work in conjunction? Because the older processor had the heatsink over it to which a fan blew.

May 8, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 16
You can use a P4 HSF (HeatSink Fan) on a C2D. In fact, I have yet to see a difference in any of the more recent - say, since 2004ish - LGA 775 stock Intel HSF's.

As long as it's socket compatible, i.e., your P4 was an LGA 775 processor, it should work fine on your C2D machine - unless Dell has its proprietary fan socket or mounts or backplates to mount the heatsink.

That heatsink you've linked looks neat
smily_headphones1.gif
(I prefer the AC Freezer 7 Pro myself, though.)

- lk

May 8, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 16
I'd say the odds are probably pretty slim of you getting a Dell heatsink to fit on any other system.

Of course, you won't know until you take a good look at the retention mechanisms. Since you've got both of them with you, why don't you tell us if it will work!

May 8, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 16
I am sure with some work, I could get it to mount so that's no problem.
The real question is whether such beefy looking heatsink would provide cooling than the rather anemic looking stock intel cooler. See the diagram here please (pardon the godawful diagram):

Either I could completely move the old cooling system to the new cpu or instead using the old fan to blow air into heatsink, replace that with the new intel fan.

Either way, it's going to be rather ambitious (dangerous?) project....

May 8, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 16
You must ALWAYS clean all thermal paste off the CPU and Heatsink and re-apply new before putting the heatsink back on (or a new one on). Leaving any residue can have serious side-effects.

May 8, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 16
[size=small]Idealy, you want the surface of the cpu to be as clean as possible when you apply the thermal paste and mate it to the heatsink. The same goes for the surface of the heatsink. I use a lint free cloth and some rubbing alcohol to clean the surfaces anytime I remove the heatsink or install a new cpu. NEVER under any circumstances run the cpu and heatsink without some sort of thermal substance in between. [/size]

May 8, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must ALWAYS clean all thermal paste off the CPU and Heatsink and re-apply new before putting the heatsink back on (or a new one on). Leaving any residue can have serious side-effects.

X2
What he said.

May 9, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Clean it off with a paper towel, and reapply some new stuff. If you're anal like me you can clean it with isopropyl alcohol and then reapply.

Paper towel leaves a lot of lint residue, though. Lint-free cloth is good. I've used microfiber cloth before, too (i.e., what you'd normally clean specs with).

And yes, bigger, heavier heatsinks are usually better. Virtually anything decently aftermarket out there beats stock Intel HSF's.

- lk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back