computer PSU as equipment PSU?
May 21, 2006 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

c001m4n

Head-Fier
I was just pondering is it possible to use the computer PSU as the PSU for audio equipment? Ie. Mod the PC PSU to stand-alone (paper clip mod) and replace the connector to whatever DC plug is required for the audio equipment (12VDC or 5VDC). Is it even feasible? or be an improvement over wall-warts?

May 21, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 8
All modern computers use a switching power supply, and that does not sit well with audio components. Have a look at this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_power_supply

In a nutshell, the PSU switches on and off rapidly. That kicks off a mess of RF (electrical noise) which isn't so great for audio components. A clean, linear supply is a whole lot better for audio.

However, if you're looking to save a few dollars on power supplies (they are expensive) hunt around junk stores and thrift shops for old transformers or old/dead components with them. A little ingenuity and a few parts will turn them into good power supplies for audio. Oh, and take a look at eBay, you'll find inexpensive old parts there, too.

May 21, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon
Whatever you are trying to do with it might not work. Computer PSU's need a minimum amount of current draw on the voltage rails or they won't operate properly.

Yep, they have to have load about equal to a small motherboard or you may fry it. If you run it jumpered with no load, that thing will go up in a few minutes. Plus amps on each rail are much higher than what is need for our audio stuff (my OCZ Powerstream is like 32A on the 12V)

May 21, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Yep, they have to have load about equal to a small motherboard or you may fry it. If you run it jumpered with no load, that thing will go up in a few minutes. Plus amps on each rail are much higher than what is need for our audio stuff (my OCZ Powerstream is like 32A on the 12V)

AT power supplies suffered from this problem, but modern ATX supplies do not. I've had no problems running an ATX power supply for long lengths of time with very minimal loads attached - maybe .2A or so.

Quote:

Plus amps on each rail are much higher than what is need for our audio stuff (my OCZ Powerstream is like 32A on the 12V)

Amps are amps...not volts. It doesn't matter how much current the unit CAN supply as long as your device isn't drawing more than the maximum. More amps than audio stuff needs would be a plus.

May 22, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by johan851
AT power supplies suffered from this problem, but modern ATX supplies do not. I've had no problems running an ATX power supply for long lengths of time with very minimal loads attached - maybe .2A or so.

What is the PSU connected to? And which rails are being loaded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back