Computer Nightmare: Is it them, or is it me?
Jul 13, 2005 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
a few weeks ago, my laptop computer broke (gateway... i know, i know
rolleyes.gif
). at first, the tech support folks were nice and helpful.

they sent me a new hard drive. it worked for about a day, then the computer broke down again. obviously, it wasn't the hard drive.

next, i paid $50 to ship it to gateway so they could fix it. a week later, it came back. it was unusably slow, but working. i reinstalled the OS, which helped the speed... until it broke down AGAIN just two hours later, the same exact way it had broken the first two times. obviously, the techs completely failed to repair it.

the tech supervisor assured me they'd cover shipping and send me a new shipping box, stat. in fact, she said it was to arrive today. of course, it didn't.

i called customer service to find out why. i was transferred five times to inappropriate people who couldn't help me. at one point i was lectured that some people wait TWO months to get their computers back from service... and ultimately i was informed that the original supervisor shouldn't have promised me that the shipping box would arrive so soon, and there was nothing they could (or would) do.

i told them (or rather, yelled) that i'll never buy another gateway product.

it seems to me that they're in violation of their warranty assurance to repair their products within a reasonable time frame. at the very least, they were obnoxious, unhelpful and even misleading.

was i expecting too much?

anyhow... i'm
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 4
I had considerably worse problems with them than you, so no, it's definitely not you. After 5 HD's (obviously a problem with the motherboard), a replacement chassis that arrived DOA and another that was overheating within a month, not to mention the many trips my laptop made to their repair center in TX only to come back unrepaired, I'd say I was without a usable laptop at least 3 months in the 1st year and a half I owned it. Calls and emails fell on deaf ears. I yelled, got pissed, and got the run around. Then I called and was just so frustrated I wasn't mad anymore... explained everything... the techs were amazed at the poop I had dealt with. They got me to a manager who actually had the authority to do something, and they finally offered to replace it with a different model. Of course it took a few tries before they actually came up with a system that didn't skimp on a feature or two that I had in my previous, but eventually I ended up doing OK.

So long story short, they suck. Best of luck. It was definitely a frustrating year, but the new one's been problem free. And at least they finally stood behind their product, even if it was about 12 months too late.

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey you guys' stories sound exactly like what my brother has gone through with his laptop. He could have written those posts I'm sure.

Anyway, he had the good fortune to leave a window open during the rain a few weeks before his extended warranty expires so hopefully they'll have to eat the cost of a replacement unit.

Oh and my dad's office has a computer consultant who specializes in law practices. He told my dad recently not to buy anymore Gateways because (aside from the obvious) he doesn't think they'll be in the computer business for much longer. I thought that was interesting.

Jul 13, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
anyhow... i'm
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I would be too! And I was once, but it was at Sony and their first run of PS2's. I won't even get into it, I'm so mad at them even to this day, but I will happily divulge on request
biggrin.gif
(it's a great story, IMO)
5000smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back