Computer Manufacturer Customer Service Recomendations Needed
Aug 16, 2005 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PTheD

Headphoneus Supremus
My mother is considering getting a computer, and the most important thing to her is that someone from the company is going to be able to help her out as much as possible (phone service, chat service, house service, etc). So I need a recomendation for the most invovled and helpful service for a person that needs their hand held along every step of the computer way. Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 9
IMO the most helpful service would be you or another family member/friend. I may be a little biased, coming off bad phone experiences with dell/sbc-pacbell-yahoo/acer/compaq in the past though. There's just a certain level of care and personal understanding you can get with someone you know that you can't get with a customer service agent.

If your mom was willing to pay a small fee for in-home service, I'm sure it's also a whole lot cheaper to hire a friend or one of their sons/daughters that are saavy - in comparison to professional services like Geek Squad or local mom-n-pop shops. I used to help my mom's friend out with basic Windows tasks and emails, and she was highly appreciative that I was able to be patient and take my time.

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Most of the bad customer services experiences that I've had was with call centers that had been outsourced. I do remember a day when a call to Dell meant that I would get someone who was technical who was not reading off of a script or had enough sense to stop reading from a script and deal with the issue at hand. It doesn't surprise me that Dell has stopped outsourcing their call centers for the business accounts but that doesn't help your mom, does it?

I've had very good luck with Apple when I had the need to call them. If she does go with Apple then I guess it would help out if there was an Apple Store near by in case she wanted to talk to someone face-to-face.

OR she could get an account on head-fi and she can ask questions here. There are plenty of computer saavy people here that can help her out.

The best way though IMO instead of relying on a "Geek Squad" or customer/tech support from the companies is to help her out yourself, if thats possible.

Aug 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I haven't had problems with calling tech support and customer service information from Apple. The AppleCare techs know their stuff and they're willing to help you if you either still have the 3 month call support & 1-year technical repair warranty, or the extended 3-year call and repair warranty covered under AppleCare. I haven't purchased AppleCare and didn't need over the 3 years that I had my Mac, and I'm glad (but for around $249, it isn't such a bad deal, especially if your motherboard went on the fritz like mine initially had when I first got the computer). My friends who had Dell computers always called their tech support and they never had problems with solving issues. HP and Gateway has been notorious for bad tech support, but I think it's getting better recently.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I know its vogue for computer enthusiasts to rag on Dell and other large manufacturers for support, but IMO the long and short is that they are the best. They build the most reliable comps and have generally good customers service. I mainly use an IBM laptop with an upgraded service plan. Something broke (while I was in another country) and they came and fixed it for me the next evening. I was stunned to say the least. Might be best $300 (3-years through my university) I ever spent.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the good responses so far.

As a note to future posters...my helping my mother is of course going to be a present phenomena, but it won't be the dominante one in her PC help experience. Our geographic localitys and communication styles lend my helping influance on her a very inefficient process. I'm williing to help, but also willing to acnowledge that my help isn't going to help her much, I need her to have someone or something that is going to help Her, not keep the family communication and aid strong.

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 9
From both my and my mom's experience, calling Dell is really hit or miss. but mostly MISS. By that I mean calls with extremely long wait times and end with sheer frustration and the problem remaining unsolved. However, both times a technician came out to my mom's, he was friendly and helpful (although all he did was swap out a bad drive, which I could have done).

If you do decide to go with an Apple, I would suggest you head over to their nearest location and see how helpful their Genius Bar staff are and how repairs are done (in home, if you have to take the computer in, or mail it in to their tech centers).

good luck

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Just out of interest, at least in Australia, you can 'jump the que' on most call centres by using the techies entrance...

Which is usually call the toll free number and do one of the following

####

if that doesn't work, or hangs you up, try

If that doesn't work either, try

IMO it's worth a try because it beats waiting in line for hours, and this has worked for me on quite a few call centres, including Dell Australia, and Optus (mobile service provider)

But back on topic, I have a Dell Laptop and I can't really reccommend their phone support, because the people really don't know much.

You would get the best service from some kind of local community college computer course, or private tuition, or your local computer shop, they may be a little more expensive than say, Dell etc but for the customer service it may be worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back