COMPUTER LOCKS UP
Dec 9, 2001 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
Well. I got my new computer built, and now the thing locks up once every 10, or 15 minutes.
Can anyone give me a link to a website for a list of things to troubleshoot? Is there some type of software I can buy that will run a diagnostics test to tell me what is wrong? Any, and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dec 9, 2001 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 17
CASE: Tornado 3000 with 300 watt power supply, and fan upgrade to 120 x 120. 3DCOOL.COM
MONITOR: Sony CPD-G400 19in/18.0v 25mm 1800 x 1440 70hz PCMALL.COM
DVD/CD WRITER: Toshiba 8x8x32 CDRW + 8xDVD Kit TCWO.COM
1.44 FLOPPY DRIVE TCWO.COM
MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET COMBO: M7VIB w/1.33GHZ 266FSB CPU with Coolermaster cooler heatsink TCWO.COM
MEMORY: 512 MB PC2100 266MHZ TCWO.COM
SOUNDCARD: Creative Labs SB PCI128 TCWO.COM
HARD DRIVE: Western Digital 60.00GB U100 7200 2MB TCWO.COM
GRAPHICS CARD: Radeon 8500 64MB DDR AGP TCWO.COM
MODEM: USR v.90 56K voice/fax/modem TCWO.COM
KEYBOARD: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro Circuitcity.com
MOUSE: Microsoft Wireless Intelli
mouse Explorer Circuitcity.com

Dec 10, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 17
Does your computer lock up after playing games for 10-15 minutes or just basic use?

How warm is your room?

How hot is the heatsink (To the touch) on your CPU?

Heat could be an issue here

What OS are you running? (Win95/98/ME can lock up every 15 minutes)

Dec 11, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 17
Be sure to test your RAM.
That's an aspect many users ignore. They invest in quality components, the latest high-speed overpriced graphic card, and yet, buy crappy cheap OEM ram and later complain that "Windows sucks" because their PC crashes often.

I always use quality RAM in the PCs I assemble, usually Crucial, which is fairly cheap (www.crucial.com)

I also recommend you test your RAM with software.

I usually use MemTest86 and found it to be very reliable.
You can get it at www.memtest86.com (or is it .org, I forgot).

Set it to do ALL tests, including Extended tests. Might take a couple of days, but you will be sure your RAM has no sticky bits or other problems.

And yes... temperature is also a problem for stability, as you found already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Add some 8mm fans to the case, that might help.

Dec 11, 2001 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 17
beowulf: Yeah, Crucial is good (as far as RAM goes), but there are some brands of RAM (I don't want to mention their names) that are ESPECIALLY crappy for their (relatively) high price.
eek.gif
mad.gif
redface.gif
Can you Head-Fi'ers guess their brand names?
confused.gif

Dec 11, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
beowulf: Yeah, Crucial is good (as far as RAM goes), but there are some brands of RAM (I don't want to mention their names) that are ESPECIALLY crappy for their (relatively) high price.
eek.gif
mad.gif
redface.gif
Can you Head-Fi'ers guess their brand names?
confused.gif

Come on, you can say Kingston.

Dec 11, 2001 at 3:13 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Come on, you can say Kingston.

Okay, I would like to add PNY to the list of "crappy, overpriced" RAM, as well (as far as PC100/PC133 SDRAM is concerned) - I would pay WAY more for its "slow" CAS3 SDRAM (yep, CAS3 is the ONLY speed of SDRAM that it markets) than I would ordering "fast" CAS2 SDRAM directly from Crucial! Another contender for that dubious list was Viking (I have never tried their memory, and that company may have gone out of business).

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 17
>>buy crappy cheap OEM ram and later complain that "Windows sucks" because their PC crashes often.

Dont try to blame the fact that windows sucks on the crappy ram. The best ram in the world and it would still suck
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I had one mac for a few months that was worse than most windows pcs though. The pos crashed sooo much, but I guess its my fault for using that as my app tester and not bothering to figure out any extension conflicts. So being lazy I just reformatted and ebayed. OSX is much better though, or atleast the beta was (got trapped with the beta on a powerbook at for a while at school), it only crashed a couple times. I have X on my P29 but I never even booted it because 90% of the programs I use arent available for it yet. Now IRIX, THAT is an opperating system. I used to leave my SGI on for weeks at a time and it never even hinted at crashing or locking up. **** was like a rock.

Dec 12, 2001 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by freethetree
>>buy crappy cheap OEM ram and later complain that "Windows sucks" because their PC crashes often.

Dont try to blame the fact that windows sucks on the crappy ram. The best ram in the world and it would still suck
tongue.gif
wink.gif

I had one mac for a few months that was worse than most windows pcs though. The pos crashed sooo much, but I guess its my fault for using that as my app tester and not bothering to figure out any extension conflicts. So being lazy I just reformatted and ebayed. OSX is much better though, or atleast the beta was (got trapped with the beta on a powerbook at for a while at school), it only crashed a couple times. I have X on my P29 but I never even booted it because 90% of the programs I use arent available for it yet. Now IRIX, THAT is an opperating system. I used to leave my SGI on for weeks at a time and it never even hinted at crashing or locking up. **** was like a rock.

Hell yesah, preach it brotha. IRIX is like a 7 mile wide iron asteroid when it comes to stability. I mean, I could see it now...

Boss: Hey.. Did you get that T-Rex model and animation completed for Jurrasic Park yet, John?

John: nah man.. IRIX just crashed again.. I'm installing WindowsNT.

PSSHT. YEAH RIGHT!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 17
I only use crucial now myself. Why? I had a crappy RAM experience. I got a lower quality 256MB stick, and it didn't work. Also, a 128MB stick I have is only recognized as a 64MB stick in one of my motherboards (POS Abit BX6 R2.0)

Yep, Crucial == RAM

OS8/9 was horrid for reliability, it could take itself down very quickly. As with Windows 9x. Win2k and OSX are much better, but again still won't be on par with a well maintained UNIX system, or IRIX, Or BSD.

Dec 12, 2001 at 6:59 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Win2k and OSX are much better, but again still won't be on par with a well maintained UNIX system, or IRIX, Or BSD.

OS 9 was rock-solid if it was configured properly (kind of like NT
wink.gif
). It had other quirks, but it was actually pretty good. As for OS X, it pretty much is BSD, so...

Dec 12, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 17
MACDef - OSX runs a different window manager, Aqua, which I would imagine is much less stable then the core OS. So when Aqua freezes (Which will be rare, yes), most people will just reboot ther computer. Same thing on Win2k - most of the time when it freezes it is just the GUI that does so, and if you can telnet into the computer, you can kill the offending process and not have to reboot the computer.

As for OS9, sure it is reasonably stable when set up perfectly. Again, this isn't something that most people have the luxury of having. I have used Macs for work, unfortunately most of them have had the unfortunate problem of only having 64MB of ram, and no matter how much I messed with the settings, I couldn't even make them reasonably stable running OS9 (I downgraded to 8.6 and it ran better). On the G4 400/128MB, things ran a good bit smoother, but again, stability was a moderate problem (Similar to Win9x with 128MB, much worse on the 64MB machines). Also, if you are having problems with an extension, it can reduce your system's stability drastically. I don't use macs a lot, but in my experience I like OS8/9 the least, would take Win9x over them, would take OSX over WIn9x because of stability, and like Win2k most. I am also a much more efficent multitasker on Windows because I am much more used to all of the commands, and the environment. So, while I am not the last word in Mac use by any means, but I am more experienced on Macs then most people, I can comfortably use OS9 without getting too confused
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, lets not make this a big battleground, if I really want that I can go post on Arstechnica, although it has been a long while since I have done that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back