Computer help question (Power Supply)
Jan 1, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
A couple weeks ago I was sitting at my computer just surfing the web and all of a sudden it shut off. I waited a couple of minutes and tried turning it back on and nothing happened.

I assumed it was the power supply and ordered a new one. I put it in and all the fans (case, power supply, cpu, video card) would just barely spin up and stop after that. Soooo....I don't know what to do from here. Is there a way I can test the power supply to see if it's defective or not? Do I need to take it in somewhere to have them test everything?

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 6
It could be that when it died, the motherboard died too. Actually, it probably shut off because the power supply killed the motherboard and your computer couldn't function.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 6
Perhaps your new power supply isn't strong enough to power the equipment in your computer? How many watts does the new power supply output, and how many did the old one output?

Worse case scenario would be that your motherboard died possibly due to a spike of current your power supply gave off before cutting out.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies guys,

Another person I talked said the same thing about frying the motherboard.
mad.gif

How does one go about figuring out that that is what happened?

The old power supply was 350w Antec and the new one is a 430w Thermaltake.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I'd remove everything that is not needed and see what happens. Disconnect extra fans, lights, CD or DVD drive, anything to minimize the load on the power supply. Do you get BIOS beeps when it tries to boot?

Recheck and reconnect every connector from the power supply also.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Sounds like a dead motherboard to me. If you have a DMM, you can test the power supply to see if it's working.

On the bright side, maybe your old power supply isn't bad after all. You might be able to return your new one or sell the old one and put the money towards a new motherboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back