computer headphone noise
Jun 5, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

punkrocker5817

New Head-Fier
So I got a new computer case, since I wanted frontside USB and a headphone input. I picked up an Audigy X-fi extreme while I was at it. The sound card is a great deal better than the onboard one, but I started using my DT770's with the front input and new sound card, there is always a loudish hiss at higher volumes, and the bass gets very shakey/cutoff.

I know its not the beyers, because I use them on my Denon about once a week. they are very broad ranged and clear. My power supply puts 18 amps into the 12 volt lines/slots, so its definitely not underpower. I am thinking its the video card. I dont know if an 8600GTS would have that much noise, but it does suck up a lot of current.

If theres a chance its the video card, will moving them farther apart maybe help?? I know the soundcard isnt really anything special, but its pretty clear at lower volumes.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 3
The hiss could be a number of things - RFI, impedance mismatch, or several other issues.

The bass problem is almost certainly clipping.

Your power supply might fully power the card, but the card's amp doesn't have enough power for your headphones. That is a limitation of the card itself, not a limitation of the power supply. You could run the card with 1kA of power in reserve and it would still clip.

The soundcardinistas will probably turn up here with pitchforks and torches, but you need a decent amp for your headphones. If your budget is tight, try to find a vinrage receiver for free or cheap. Many of them work well. The PreSonus HP4 will work for about $100. But you're going to need more power to keep from clipping.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 3
I had a similar problem. I could hear buzzing and crackling sounds in my speakers especially when scrolling up and down internet explorer windows. On top of that there was a low hum. The problem got fixed when i switched from coaxial to TOSlink.
TOSlink conducts light and not electricity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back