Computer -HDMI--> HT Receiver
Oct 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nyjets28

1000+ Head-Fier
I plan on building a new computer soon and changing my active monitors to a passive setup. Before I go off spending money on my video card would feeding HDMI from my computer to HT Receiver (Denon AVR-1612) defeat the purpose of my video card - meaning would a $100 video card be any different from a $300 video card? (not that i plan on spending that much on one) 

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 6
As far as I know the majority of the more expensive video cards provide some enhancements in gaming, and very little difference otherwise. The fact that the output goes to a receiver rather than a PC monitor doesn't change anything: the extra power these cards provide relates to image rendering, not so much displaying.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I plan on building a new computer soon and changing my active monitors to a passive setup. Before I go off spending money on my video card would feeding HDMI from my computer to HT Receiver (Denon AVR-1612) defeat the purpose of my video card - meaning would a $100 video card be any different from a $300 video card? (not that i plan on spending that much on one) 

I'm assuming we are talking about audio quality only.
Would spending only $100 on a video card degrade the HDMI audio quality compared to a $300 video card?
Personally, I would think the HDMI audio quality would be the same, can't see why any reason otherwise.

Video wise, all a receiver might do is upscale the video feed.
But as a $100 video/graphics card can easily output a resolution equal to a TV or computer monitors max resolution.
The receiver would not need to do any upscaling.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
As far as I know the majority of the more expensive video cards provide some enhancements in gaming, and very little difference otherwise. The fact that the output goes to a receiver rather than a PC monitor doesn't change anything: the extra power these cards provide relates to image rendering, not so much displaying.

so by using the receiver as a go-between for my monitor and PC would the extra power/image rendering capabilities actually carry through? 

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

so by using the receiver as a go-between for my monitor and PC would the extra power/image rendering capabilities actually carry through? 

I would think if you turn off upscaling in the receiver, whatever image the graphics card creates would just pass thru the receiver and to the display unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back