Computer Games
Dec 22, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #17 of 34
Used to play counter-strike competitively. Made it to Cal-M one season with clan IOU (since disbanded), but I haven't played much since then because of a heavy school load. I occasionally visit gotfrag's cs servers under the nick ViNe, or something quite similar. And, every now and then I do a game of starcraft with some friends who don't have computers fast enough to run much else.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #20 of 34
CS (1.6 or source) is all about finding the right server. I find that the Arsclan servers keep me from having to play with the ignorant racist homophobe idiots that seem to comprise the majority of the CS world.

Anyway, a lot of CS (both varieties), just finished HL2, going to start Painkiller soon.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Beilin
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Hehehe. I played that for a few hours one day. Seemed like the same thing over and over and over...

I enjoy computer games, but I tend to get bored with them very quickly. It makes it not worth buying any.

Last games I have really played were Doom3 and MOHAA. I bought a Radeon 9800 a year or so ago to game, but never really found anything I liked.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
CS (1.6 or source) is all about finding the right server. I find that the Arsclan servers keep me from having to play with the ignorant racist homophobe idiots that seem to comprise the majority of the CS world.

Anyway, a lot of CS (both varieties), just finished HL2, going to start Painkiller soon.

I'll have to look into those... as you said, the majority seem to be redneck hicks (more or less) that are more interested in calling everyone gh3y (OK, so that'd be bored 12 year olds...) than playing. I recall one particular game, on Election night '04, where I was engaged in an extraordinarily boring conversation with a complete hick about Dubya. Actually, it was more like me and everyone else against the hick. All he said was one of a few lines... "Bush is a good President", "Do you think you could do better?" and my personal favorite, "Well, you're just stupid." I alternated between arguring with him and killing him. Killing eventually won out, then he left. Shame.

Another game that hasn't been mentioned yet is Natural Selection. Half-Life mod, definitely worth checking out. Finding good servers to start out on can be a challenge, though. Most of 'em have good players, but the problem is it has a bit of a steep learning curve, especially for the Alien side. Don't play Alien until you've RTFM at least twice, and played for a few hours. The last thing we want is you taking all our resources away to upgrade to a Lerk and then getting your fool self killed right away
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #23 of 34
I used to play Quake 2 online quite a bit (Weapons Factory is like virtual crack for me), but I got sick of it about 6-9 months ago. More than likely, it's tied to the fact that the server I always went to became almost deserted as the school year started. But I might reinstall everything and check it out again, if I can find a good place to play.

I'd really like to get a router and hook up a wireless network for Xbox Live, since Halo 2 and Burnout 3 offline are already eating up my free time.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
I'll have to look into those... as you said, the majority seem to be redneck hicks (more or less) that are more interested in calling everyone gh3y (OK, so that'd be bored 12 year olds...) than playing.

Well, Arsclan kicks and/or bans anyone using denigrating language of that variety.

The level of skill is extremely high for the most part, several cal-m+ clans play/smurf there on a regular basis. If you show up on the 1.6 server most nights between 9 and 1-2 AM, you're doing very well if you're even. I'm not that good (have been a ringer for a few -im clans in LAN tournaments, not active with any at the moment), but just playing with that high a level of competition makes you much, much more aware of the flaws in your own game. The servers are physically located in St. Louis, on our own servers/bandwidth, so your ping from anywhere in the US is reasonable.

Quote:

Another game that hasn't been mentioned yet is Natural Selection. Half-Life mod, definitely worth checking out. Finding good servers to start out on can be a challenge, though. Most of 'em have good players, but the problem is it has a bit of a steep learning curve, especially for the Alien side. Don't play Alien until you've RTFM at least twice, and played for a few hours. The last thing we want is you taking all our resources away to upgrade to a Lerk and then getting your fool self killed right away
biggrin.gif

My attention span is too short for NS. That, and no one ever really showed me how to play it.

Dec 22, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #26 of 34
I played NS during the 1.0 days, very fun, but they completly nerfed everything to the point where I don't know how to play anymore.

I remember WoLing eclipse like no other.

Esp that junction where you can hold a resource foutian (or whatever) by setting up 4 OTs in each of the 3 directions and filling in the midle with DTs...

On yeah. It killed the game for me when they took out "nancy" (map)

Dec 22, 2004 at 9:53 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
Well, Arsclan kicks and/or bans anyone using denigrating language of that variety.

Excellent. Playing with people who's idea of a good time is insulting one another tends to make you hate the game.

Quote:

The level of skill is extremely high for the most part, several cal-m+ clans play/smurf there on a regular basis. If you show up on the 1.6 server most nights between 9 and 1-2 AM, you're doing very well if you're even. I'm not that good (have been a ringer for a few -im clans in LAN tournaments, not active with any at the moment), but just playing with that high a level of competition makes you much, much more aware of the flaws in your own game. The servers are physically located in St. Louis, on our own servers/bandwidth, so your ping from anywhere in the US is reasonable.

If I spend about a week playing CS, I can usually get to the point where I'm in the Top 3 by the end of a round. 1:1 in a few days. The main thing I don't like is insulting players, but, if as you said, they kick you for that, no worries. I know I'm not the greatest player, and I don't need to be constantly reminded of it.

Quote:

My attention span is too short for NS. That, and no one ever really showed me how to play it.

Yeah, there definitely needs to be an official manual, or even better, a scripted tutorial demo for you to play. I got in around the 1.x days, and was lucky to find people who were more than happy to walk me through the game, give me hints, strategies, and the like.

Dec 22, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Good? Bad? You aren't saying you beat it in 2 weeks are you?

I had the game reccomended by a friend (in Grade 10) and I started playing like 20-30 hours over 2 weeks. I have no patience and could barely get anywhere in the game (kept trying to force it vs creeps). Anyways I failed a math test and just quit. It was pretty sad I just couldnt get enough of the tourist and his camera.

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 34
Right now i'm spending most of my time playing HALO 2 online(the two moth free trial got me addicted). I also play HL 2 and CS, although with CS I've had a hard time trying to find a good sever. Also I don't know the maps very well so i'm not very good at all. And I used to play SOcom 2 online a lot (used to be in top 5%) but HALO 2 has taken over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back