Computer freezes when ripping CDs.
Jun 20, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

DBrim

100+ Head-Fier
As the title says, my new computer freezes when I try to rip CDs. Any format. EAC and dbpoweramp both freeze the computer (only a hard reboot will fix), but windows media player actually works. This isn't an acceptable permanent solution, so I need help on finding out what's wrong.

My drive firmware and BIOS both were updated since I got this thing, and I still freeze. Dell is insisting that it's the software since I'm up to date and windows media player works, but I'm not so sure.

Here's some system info to help:

Dell Studio XPS 13
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, SP1, 4 gigs of RAM
TSSTcorpDVD+-RW TS-D633A drive with most recent firmware

This is crucial to fix, so I need help ASAP!!

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 24
Does it freeze during the rip? I have an issue where dbpoweramp occasionally freezes the pc when it tries to eject after a rip.. so i do it manually. No freezes now.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 24
If you are set-up to Rip + Encode together it would be best to separate the two processes to insure which is the culprit.

Jun 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it freeze during the rip? I have an issue where dbpoweramp occasionally freezes the pc when it tries to eject after a rip.. so i do it manually. No freezes now.

Yes, it freezes during the rip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is all your software updated and the most resent versions and also is windows completely updated? DO you run other programs when it is ripping?

Yes. Windows update empty. Sometimes, yes, but I've tried it by itself and it still locks up the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are set-up to Rip + Encode together it would be best to separate the two processes to insure which is the culprit.

I've tried ripping to WAV, which wouldn't need encoding (right?) in foobar, and that froze the computer.

Thanks for the quick responses, everybody, hopefully we'll get something worked out.

Jun 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hardware drivers up to date?

Should be. There was a CD drive firmware update and a BIOS update, and I did both.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should be. There was a CD drive firmware update and a BIOS update, and I did both.

Here's a shot in the dark - disable your antivirus and try it.

Jun 20, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 24
Does the crash happen when ripping all CDs or just specific ones?

I had a case where ripping a particular "intentionally defective CD" was able to blue screen Windows 2000. The CD had an attempt at copy prevention by making the CD intentionally defective in ways that makes the CD difficult to read by computer CD drives. It was enough to completely confuse the CD drive enough to cause a blue screen crash. Updating the firmware on the CD drive fixed the problem and I was then able to successfully rip that CD.

Otherwise you may have to opt for an external USB CD drive. Research the drive to make sure it will be a good drive for ripping CDs. Some drives do much better than others for ripping while some drives are just horrible for ripping. You want to make sure you get a good one.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a laptop, it'll be virtually impossible to track why it's crashing.

It's new, take it back tell them it's crashing when reading in discs.

Good point, if its new then at least get a replacement DVD drive to rule that out.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #15 of 24
with Vista, one other thing to try... during the installation of the program(s), make sure u right-mouse click on the setup file(s) and install as admin. after installation, right-mouse click on the pgm shortcut and run as admin as well.

hth,
don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back