Computer cans with tight bass under 200$?
Dec 26, 2011 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JackTheRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all!

I just received the Sony MDR-NC60 and although I'm really impressed by the noise cancelation it really does not cut it in the sound departement...so I'm looking for something to exchange them with :wink:
I find them pretty comfortable...I listen to a lot of bass music and so I like "tight" bass...
I've been looking at AKG a lot.
I'd like to get some suggestions of what I could get.

Also I own the Shure SE215 and I love them but I'm looking for a full size can so as not to get the ear fatigue I get from IEM's.
It'll mostly be Rock, Hip Hop, Dubstep, Jazz and Classic music as well as a lot of movies too.

Thanks a lot!

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2 of 10
HFI 580 period
The Beyer's also contend when in the bass zone, however, they are muddy and not tight.
HFI 580 is $118 with free shipping on BH.
At first they don't sound that good(they will if you haven't heard anything past $60 that audiophiles use) but after 12 hours. you will be all :) :) and they keep on improving

They don't have a lot of sibiliance(great :) ) they are easy to drive, super tight bass, it's heavy and deep when you need it, and backs up all your rocks drums when you need it to. the treble(vocals) just roll off easily and beautiful and the highs are just great considering these are bass cans. This is after burn in.

I would also suggest an amp with the money you saved by switching to ultrasone :) (lol) these are easy to drive, but directly through an ipod is not ideal and leaves you wanting sometimes.
The E11 is a good deal at this range. i however, am going for the full blown E17 when it comes out :)

PS:In case you are unsure. the 780's are not "superior" it's a misconsceptio amongst new head fi'ers that just bc an item is higher in the series that it's better. some prefer the Sennheiser 650 over the 800's and what not. it's all about what it does. the HFI 780's have less bass(still good amount and tight) and have better highs. not for you, but i know you were going to wonder. It also uses S-Logic tech. i was afraid of what it was at first. don't be.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 10
I second the Ultrasone pick here. I personally don't like the Ultrasone brand, but the one thing they do best is tight bass. The other choice I can really think of is the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II.

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 10
I may not be able to say that a majority doesn't prefer them, but I think that's mostly because a majority of people like the majority of headphones they buy, but I can bring this up: 
As far as a brand on Head-Fi goes, they are one of the less successful in terms of reviewing. 

An averaging of the star rating of the all reviewed Ultrasone headphones with a rating at Head-Fi is 3.90 stars out of 5. For comparison of other headphones companies, Grado Labs came in at 4.25 average rating, Audio-Technica at 4.17, AKG at 4.28, Sennheiser at 4.22, Beyerdynamic at 3.96, Denon at 4.15, Sony at 3.84 (it was 4.04, but someone left a 1.5 star review for a Bluetooth set), HifiMan at 4.30. Now, don't take this as an end-all metric or anything, I'm just showing a metric which was quick and dirty to calculate and has a ton of flaws. It's far, far, far more complicated to figure out the satisfaction people get out of a brand of headphone. 

I think Ultrasone is, in reality, is one of the least liked major brands at Head-Fi, but a brand that still satisfies a majority of the people who buy it, still a brand that makes quality headphones, and still a brand that has people who believe that they are the best. It's not that they're necessarily bad, just worse than the field on average, in large part because of their odd typical Ultrasone high energy treble. It's like how the Grados have a signature sound signature, except I feel it is liked less than the Grado house sound. I'm not invalidating anything that people say about their Ultrasones, nor should they take this as an attack on their opinion, I'm just saying that I feel that Ultrasone is the major headphone brand I think is most likely to leave someone unsatisfied, even if it satisfies a majority of people. 

Quote:
Ultrasones aren't for everyone, that's why the reviews are all over the place. not to mention they need a lot lot of burn in for perfection :/

But still, the majority does prefer them, look up reviews you will see. and when they do enjoy them. it's all smooth sailing from their

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I may not be able to say that a majority doesn't prefer them, but I think that's mostly because a majority of people like the majority of headphones they buy, but I can bring this up: 
As far as a brand on Head-Fi goes, they are one of the less successful in terms of reviewing. 

An averaging of the star rating of the all reviewed Ultrasone headphones with a rating at Head-Fi is 3.90 stars out of 5. For comparison of other headphones companies, Grado Labs came in at 4.25 average rating, Audio-Technica at 4.17, AKG at 4.28, Sennheiser at 4.22, Beyerdynamic at 3.96, Denon at 4.15, Sony at 3.84 (it was 4.04, but someone left a 1.5 star review for a Bluetooth set), HifiMan at 4.30. Now, don't take this as an end-all metric or anything, I'm just showing a metric which was quick and dirty to calculate and has a ton of flaws. It's far, far, far more complicated to figure out the satisfaction people get out of a brand of headphone. 

I think Ultrasone is, in reality, is one of the least liked major brands at Head-Fi, but a brand that still satisfies a majority of the people who buy it, still a brand that makes quality headphones, and still a brand that has people who believe that they are the best. It's not that they're necessarily bad, just worse than the field on average, in large part because of their odd typical Ultrasone high energy treble. It's like how the Grados have a signature sound signature, except I feel it is liked less than the Grado house sound. I'm not invalidating anything that people say about their Ultrasones, nor should they take this as an attack on their opinion, I'm just saying that I feel that Ultrasone is the major headphone brand I think is most likely to leave someone unsatisfied, even if it satisfies a majority of people. 

But you must also factor in S-Logic and how people ususally do things. S-Logic isn't for everyone, and thus causes discontent in the ones that don't like it. People that usually suffer discontent from a purchase that's hundreds are more likely to go on and negatiely review a product. I know this is true for me. I usually rarely go back and give stars unless i was really unsatisfied, or had a bone to pick however slight.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Another option for closed bassy headphones.
Denon AH-D1100, going for a $107 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 10

The Denon AH-D1100s are bassy, but it's of the looser, heavier style of bass, rather than the tight one. 
Quote:
Another option for closed bassy headphones.
Denon AH-D1100, going for a $107 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII".

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 10
my pro 900s have nothing tight about them....good bass, but not tight at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back