Computer buying
Jul 3, 2008 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Josh07039

New Head-Fier
I just want to start by thanking everyone for the help in my computer help thread, I did get it to work by running yet another virus scan. Now my next question is, Im interested in buying a new laptop that isnt incredibly expensive but it pretty good for gaming. Firstly, what are good video cards that I would want to get in the computer, how much ram, etc? Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions regarding brand, etc? Thank you all in advance.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 27
If you plan on gaming I do suggest going with a desktop. You pay a premium for footprint and portability with a laptop, which are nice features, but you'll be hellbent to find one that tackles gaming all that well.

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 27
When you say expensive what are we talking ?? An example being a Alienware laptop "now owned by Dell" . They start out at about $1300 but have tons of options for "Dedicated Graphics cards" which is huge when your talking gaming. Also with the price of ram nowadays you can easily get 2-4GB ram very cheap. Stay away from "Shared graphics memory".

Jul 3, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you plan on gaming I do suggest going with a desktop. You pay a premium for footprint and portability with a laptop, which are nice features, but you'll be hellbent to find one that tackles gaming all that well.

x2

Jul 3, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 27
Take a look at a Sager/Clevo/Dell XPS M1530 or something similar with an 8600GT/8700/8800M GTX.

Its going to be pretty expensive for the last 2 cards but I got my XPS M1530 that runs CoD4 on normal for about $1200.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 27
laptop+gaming = expensive

i have my xps m1710 with a 512mb 7950 gtx, but it was soo expensive

its almost 9 months old now, still pretty decent, plys crysis fairly well, it is maxed out however

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 27
Are you looking for a multipurpose laptop with ok gaming capabilities or a gaming laptop ?

For a gaming laptop the Gateway P-6860FX is the best bang for the buck. Bestbuy has them for $ 1099 a while back, with some rabates you can get one for just under $1000 if I am not mistaken. For that price you get 4GB of ram and a 8800M GTS 512MB. It is big and heavy and the screen resolution is not so great for a 17" laptop but for a 1000 bucks I don't know of any other laptop that gives you more gaming performance/frames.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for a multipurpose laptop with ok gaming capabilities or a gaming laptop ?

For a gaming laptop the Gateway P-6860FX is the best bang for the buck. Bestbuy has them for $ 1099 a while back, with some rabates you can get one for just under $1000 if I am not mistaken. For that price you get 4GB of ram and a 8800M GTS 512MB. It is big and heavy and the screen resolution is not so great for a 17" laptop but for a 1000 bucks I don't know of any other laptop that gives you more gaming performance/frames.

Typing/working/playing on one right now.
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 27
Thanks for all the suggestions. By relatively inexpensive I mean in the 1000-1200 range(a little more or less is ok). And the reason it must be a laptop is because I am a college student and I need the portability a laptop affords me but also want to be able to game at school.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 27
well, I'm pretty sure you already got your answer. The P-6860FX is the best laptop you can get in that price range. (I'm pretty sure it's the best sub 2000 notebook, too [correct me if im wrong])

on sale at best buy like the other guy said.

oh, and battery life is somewhat around 2 hours, but if you wanna game, it's gonna be a lot less.

so you're gonna hafta bring an adapter to school (which is kinda bulkier than average for this particular laptop)

if I were you though, I'd def buy it. You wont be able to find an 8800GTS in any other laptop anywhere NEAR this price range.

Cheers,

Chuwy

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 27
Thanks a lot I did a little research and it seems to be ideal. 2 hours of battery life is fine because I don't do much gaming during class I just need it for notes during class and gaming in the dorm. Once again thank you all for the help.
edit-just one last question, I was looking at the review on cnet and I noticed that it seems that the p-680fx isn't too great for multitasking etc. Is there any other computer for like 1200-1300 that would be comparable in gaming but give better performance outside of gaming?

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 27
No.

Like I said, 8800 doesn't exist in anything in this price range.

Processor is fine, just tune your computer a bit.

As a college student, I'm pretty sure you're multimedia tasks won't dish out anything the core2duo can't handle.

if you are unsatisfied tho, save up for a few months and spend a few benjamins on a faster processor. the laptop is built with this in mind, so it's easy to take apart and modify. switching the processor is a cinch.

cheers,

chuwy.

Jul 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 27
As I recommended before nothing beats the gateway for $1100. As for multitasking it is not so great compared to gaming laptops almost twice its price because of the weaker processor. Compare it to a standard $1000 laptop it is just as good and more than enough for everyday use.

Now if you have $1300 to spend, only game in your dorm and take notes in class. The second alternative would be to spend $900-1000 on building a gaming desktop in your dorm and spend the rest on a netbook, (eee pc like) for taking notes. I have been a student before, using a 17" laptop for a while that time and believe me you don't want to carry a 10 pound monster in your bagpack everywhere you go. It is big, hot and noisy in class plus I had to take public transports every morning.

I don't have first experience with the gateway and maybe 17" laptops have improved during the years, but I would have been in heaven if those 2-3 pounds netbook existed during my student years. Ask the guy who has the gateway share his experience transporting and commuting with it. I guess it all depends on your need, if you do Lan parties as well then the answer is clear: Gateway all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back