Computer Audio in Headphones - Sennheiser HD 600
Jan 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

breaks1off

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently picked up a new pair of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.  I have been researching headphone amps and stumbled onto this forum, looking for a review of the Schiit Magni / Modi headphone amp / DAC solution.

Based on the comments here (and in other reviews) I have decided that the Magni is the way I'd like to go (can't beat that price and the compact size) but I am torn on whether or not to get the Modi DAC - or a soundcard - or something else entirely - or just stick with what I have.

I have an ASRock X58 Extreme6 motherboard with its Realtek ALC892 audio chipset.  I haven't been pleased with it's audio performance and alternate between Native Instruments' Traktor Scratch Audio 6 or just using my Traktor Kontrol S2 as my primary interface (both USB).  I monitor with the Blue Sky ProDesk 2.1 (v1) reference system. I back that up with with with original Mackie HR824 and Behringer Truth B2031A studio monitors (at various distances and width).

All of that said, I'm hoping to get some thoughts and advice on pairing the Magni with -
  1. various USB DACs (including and primarily the Modi)
  2. a PCI soundcard like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (I don't really need the inputs or the MIDI but they would be nice to have)
  3. a PCIe gaming soundcard (I don't need 5.1 or 7.1 surround)

Many thanks!

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the general consensus is that a dedicated external DAC is usually better than an internal soundcard. The reviews for Modi have been positive so far and it matches perfectly with Magni, so that would be my recommendation.

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I recently picked up a new pair of Sennheiser HD 600 headphones.  I have been researching headphone amps and stumbled onto this forum, looking for a review of the Schiit Magni / Modi headphone amp / DAC solution.
Based on the comments here (and in other reviews) I have decided that the Magni is the way I'd like to go (can't beat that price and the compact size) but I am torn on whether or not to get the Modi DAC - or a soundcard - or something else entirely - or just stick with what I have.
I have an ASRock X58 Extreme6 motherboard with its Realtek ALC892 audio chipset.  I haven't been pleased with it's audio performance and alternate between Native Instruments' Traktor Scratch Audio 6 or just using my Traktor Kontrol S2 as my primary interface (both USB).  I monitor with the Blue Sky ProDesk 2.1 (v1) reference system. I back that up with with with original Mackie HR824 and Behringer Truth B2031A studio monitors (at various distances and width).
All of that said, I'm hoping to get some thoughts and advice on pairing the Magni with -
  1. various USB DACs (including and primarily the Modi)
  2. a PCI soundcard like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (I don't really need the inputs or the MIDI but they would be nice to have)
  3. a PCIe gaming soundcard (I don't need 5.1 or 7.1 surround)

Did you have a budget?
If all you care about is 2-channel audio, like for music, then a USB DAC should be fine.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Sense your motherboard has 2 digital outputs (optical, spdif), run either to your amp of choice that can except either digital input. Or find a USB AMP/DAC, whichever you like. Im kinda in the same boat atm, waiting on my amp and have a hd600. I couldn't pass up a deal on the amp, so im running X-fi gamer aux to the amp even though my soundcard is inferior to a good dac. If I were you, I would find out if the chips in your USB DAC devices are equal to a good sound card. If they are, your money would be better spent on an amp only.

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 6
I would say the same as PurpleAngel.

If you do not necessarily need anything over 2 channel audio, grab Schiit Magni & Modi.

They sound better and drives headphones with more current versus any sound card.

I have them at work and they sounded great with the Sennheiser HD600.

Tim

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Did you have a budget?

No real budget...don't mind spending several hundred on good quality gear.  I just wanted to get the best bang for my bucks :wink:

Anyway -

I went ahead and picked up the Magni and it already sounds way better than plugging the headphones into any standard audio output.  I am noticing some slight grey noise when turn the headphone amp up.  Not a huge deal...but would definitely like to minimize.

I am starting a new recording project that requires I get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard to record some guitar and vocals.  I am going to see how the amp sounds with signal from the RCA out of that soundcard.

On a separate note - Is there much/any difference between a USB DAC and going SPDIF -> external DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back