Comply Review
Jun 10, 2011 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Insilin1i

Head-Fier

This is my first review so any advice would be great 
tongue_smile.gif

I am not affiliated with Comply they just sent me some sample tips to try on my Turbine Pro Coppers and to review them. The past few days I have been trying them out. 

I was before this using the Monster Foam Super Tips which I found to be quite good but became really uncomfortable after an hour or so of usage because of how hard the foam was. They did give great isolation which is the reason I used them instead of the silicone tips that were included. The Comply tips are like the perfect mix of both the foam super tips and the silicone tips. It has the comfort of the soft silicone tips and even better isolation than the foam super tips. 

I had read a few reviews about them before receiving these and a lot of the reviews said that they could cause the sound to change, like over emphasized bass and dampening the treble. I had this issue until I tried the smaller size, it seems that when I was using the medium size tips the foam expanded to a size to large and changed the sound signature but once I used the smaller size the foam expanded to the perfect size without applying to much pressure against my ears. After getting the perfect size the sound returned to normal(perfect).

Now do I recommend these tips?

Well I really enjoyed them and will probably purchase a pack once these wear out. Based on other reviews it seems these affect people differently, but I would recommend people get a sample pack and try the different sizes to make sure it isn't the foam over expanding and affecting the sound. I can't say if everyone will enjoy them but I sure did.

Anyways this was my first review, I hope you enjoyed it 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I was thinking of reviewing my Turbine Pro Coppers and my Original Turbines but it will be based on feedback here, since I am pretty lazy 
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 27
You can extend the life of the Complys but removing them once a week and gently washing them with warm water and a tiny bit of soap -- don't scrub them, tho'!  Squeeze them dry with a towel, let them dry for an hour and put them back on.  You might get 6 months or more out of them.

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 27
Glad you like the tips. I use the small size, too. It's good to see you found just the right size, fit, etc. I'm biased, since I represent Comply Foam Tips, but I really love our products.
Thanks for posting!

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
You can extend the life of the Complys but removing them once a week and gently washing them with warm water and a tiny bit of soap -- don't scrub them, tho'!  Squeeze them dry with a towel, let them dry for an hour and put them back on.  You might get 6 months or more out of them.

Word. Every ear is different and some waxy than others. Washing your tips, like he said, will help you out.
Here's a little video we made about it:

Jun 10, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 27
Didn't know they could last that long. Thanks for the advice and video. I do get some wax build up so anything to prolong them and keep them clean is great. 
etysmile.gif

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 27
I have used their tips for quite some time and really love them.  I know they get mixed reviews regarding sound/durability but I find them great.  What I DONT love however is paying for 8 pairs and getting sent 6!  Bad move Comply.

Jun 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
I have used their tips for quite some time and really love them.  I know they get mixed reviews regarding sound/durability but I find them great.  What I DONT love however is paying for 8 pairs and getting sent 6!  Bad move Comply.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!
When did that happen? Mistakes happen - sorry! Send me a PM and I'll get that shiz fixed.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:
Glad you like the tips. I use the small size, too. It's good to see you found just the right size, fit, etc. I'm biased, since I represent Comply Foam Tips, but I really love our products.
Thanks for posting!

Yeah they last me a while to and I wash (as stated above, but with no soap) My next batch is going to be the Ts series, (once i find a coupon that is said to be somewhere in the site) :) I will then write a comparison vs the P series. Most comfortable tips ever 

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:

x2. My comply tips have lasted me over a year now. I don't wash them every week but I *do* wash them when they become To Funky to Behold(tm) ... oh, about once every two months. Warm water, dishwashing liquid ... good as new. 

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #10 of 27
I've been using comply tips with my super.fi 5 EBs (with my iPhone 4) for about two weeks. I gotta say, it started out rough, but now I don't think I'm going to go back to silicon.

I received two sets of foam tips (Thanks Nate!), the T-500s and the Tx-500s. The only difference between the two is the addition of a little screen used to prevent ear goodies from getting into the barrel of the IEM on the Tx. Even though its a really small addition, anyone who has used that stupid little scraping tool knows what a pain it is to clean out earbuds (no matter how often you clean your ears). I cannot stress how awesome it is to have nice and clean earbuds without maintenance. Now going on my third week, I still dont see a single sign of wear, or any other indicators that these are going to fail anytime soon. I always assumed foam tips would degrade to dust in no time, and I am so happy to be wrong.

Fit

The super.fi 5s are a bulky IEM, and wearing them for long periods of time is uncomfortable. I typically use them when Im moving around or on breaks from work. But, if I kept them in for more than 45 minutes or so, the ear aches began. I was hoping the Comply tips would be a bit more friendly to my poor ears. The second I put the comply tips on, and threw on the IEMs, it was a completely different experience. It felt snug, but like I shoved a pillow in my ear instead of a huge rubber ball. I was able to keep them in for hours and experienced no fatigue or pain what so ever. The difference in the seal that is created is quite apparent as well. Not one little sound gets through these guys. Isolation is top notch, and ambient noise is way lower using them.

Sound

Now, this is where things get a little interesting. Starting with an overly bass heavy IEM (when Im moving around, I like high energy bass heavy music), and creating a better seal makes for more bass, which sounds great for those that really want that low end boom, but in reality makes for an ungodly muddiness (For those that think the EBs are muddy anyways, save it for a different thread). I started tinkering with the IEMs to see if they weren't sitting in my ear right, but everything I did produced the exact same sound. Then I remembered that the iPhone has an EQ setting buried in the settings. I changed the EQ to bass reducer, and gave it another spin. The sound was absolutely amazing. The bass seemed to be quite a bit tighter than the stock tips, and in comparison I can see why people frowned upon the EBs originally. The combination of the snappy bass with the increased isolation make for a great listening experience. Over the last few days, due to the high heat (and being too cheap to crank up the AC) I've been using the EBs instead of the Ultrasone Pro900s because its not making my ears sweat, and I dont feel like Im giving up that much in the SQ department (The Pro900s +E9+E7 is still better by far, but ditching the ear sweat is a fair trade off). 

These things are awesome. I still am dumbfounded that little tips could actually make a huge difference in my listening (and IEM cleaning) experience.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 27
I don't have good experience with comply foams, and I think they're highly overrated.... They're very problematic - it takes longer than usual tips to fit them properly in your ears, and then they get dirty much sooner than silicone ones. Plus they don't last that long, the foam becomes worsening within first weeks of use, which makes their price inadequately high. If someone can live with their shortcomings that's fine, but beware of their disadvantages. On the final note - they totally change sound signature compared to stock tips. I prefer much more silicone tips than comply foams with NuForce NE-6, with foams sound was muffled and bass semmed to lack it's texture, while with silicone tips the sound was more open and bass was more pleasent to my ears. I'm not saying complys are worse than other tips regarding sound signature, they probably sound better with some other IEMs. I just prefer silicones to foam with my NE-6. But again, comply comfort issues is killing me. Maybe the shure olives would be better or complys Tx series, the regular Tseries are not so good, at least for me.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 27

Quote:
I've been using comply tips with my super.fi 5 EBs (with my iPhone 4) for about two weeks. I gotta say, it started out rough, but now I don't think I'm going to go back to silicon.

I received two sets of foam tips (Thanks Nate!), the T-500s and the Tx-500s. The only difference between the two is the addition of a little screen used to prevent ear goodies from getting into the barrel of the IEM on the Tx. Even though its a really small addition, anyone who has used that stupid little scraping tool knows what a pain it is to clean out earbuds (no matter how often you clean your ears). I cannot stress how awesome it is to have nice and clean earbuds without maintenance. Now going on my third week, I still dont see a single sign of wear, or any other indicators that these are going to fail anytime soon. I always assumed foam tips would degrade to dust in no time, and I am so happy to be wrong.

Fit

The super.fi 5s are a bulky IEM, and wearing them for long periods of time is uncomfortable. I typically use them when Im moving around or on breaks from work. But, if I kept them in for more than 45 minutes or so, the ear aches began. I was hoping the Comply tips would be a bit more friendly to my poor ears. The second I put the comply tips on, and threw on the IEMs, it was a completely different experience. It felt snug, but like I shoved a pillow in my ear instead of a huge rubber ball. I was able to keep them in for hours and experienced no fatigue or pain what so ever. The difference in the seal that is created is quite apparent as well. Not one little sound gets through these guys. Isolation is top notch, and ambient noise is way lower using them.

Sound

Now, this is where things get a little interesting. Starting with an overly bass heavy IEM (when Im moving around, I like high energy bass heavy music), and creating a better seal makes for more bass, which sounds great for those that really want that low end boom, but in reality makes for an ungodly muddiness (For those that think the EBs are muddy anyways, save it for a different thread). I started tinkering with the IEMs to see if they weren't sitting in my ear right, but everything I did produced the exact same sound. Then I remembered that the iPhone has an EQ setting buried in the settings. I changed the EQ to bass reducer, and gave it another spin. The sound was absolutely amazing. The bass seemed to be quite a bit tighter than the stock tips, and in comparison I can see why people frowned upon the EBs originally. The combination of the snappy bass with the increased isolation make for a great listening experience. Over the last few days, due to the high heat (and being too cheap to crank up the AC) I've been using the EBs instead of the Ultrasone Pro900s because its not making my ears sweat, and I dont feel like Im giving up that much in the SQ department (The Pro900s +E9+E7 is still better by far, but ditching the ear sweat is a fair trade off). 

These things are awesome. I still am dumbfounded that little tips could actually make a huge difference in my listening (and IEM cleaning) experience.

Word!
Glad you like them. Changing the EQ settings is a nice idea. I'm going to give that a spin myself today (I haven't done this in a long time, so I'm curious to find out how things change). Thanks for the kind words

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
I don't have good experience with comply foams, and I think they're highly overrated.... They're very problematic - it takes longer than usual tips to fit them properly in your ears, and then they get dirty much sooner than silicone ones. Plus they don't last that long, the foam becomes worsening within first weeks of use, which makes their price inadequately high. If someone can live with their shortcomings that's fine, but beware of their disadvantages. On the final note - they totally change sound signature compared to stock tips. I prefer much more silicone tips than comply foams with NuForce NE-6, with foams sound was muffled and bass semmed to lack it's texture, while with silicone tips the sound was more open and bass was more pleasent to my ears. I'm not saying complys are worse than other tips regarding sound signature, they probably sound better with some other IEMs. I just prefer silicones to foam with my NE-6. But again, comply comfort issues is killing me. Maybe the shure olives would be better or complys Tx series, the regular Tseries are not so good, at least for me.

Sorry to hear about the problematic experiences. To be fair though, the tips if you let them. If you keep your ears clean and don't toss your earphones around constantly (like in gym bags or cram them in your pockets), they will last quite a while. Like the video says above, cleaning them will help too. I can't speak on the NE-6s (I don't use them), but I know they are small enough so that you shouldn't have a struggle at all in putting them in your ears. But, everyone's ear canal is different.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the problematic experiences. To be fair though, the tips if you let them. If you keep your ears clean and don't toss your earphones around constantly (like in gym bags or cram them in your pockets), they will last quite a while. Like the video says above, cleaning them will help too. I can't speak on the NE-6s (I don't use them), but I know they are small enough so that you shouldn't have a struggle at all in putting them in your ears. But, everyone's ear canal is different.

I definetely don't treat my IEMs the way you described. I use them mostly at home and outdoors when walking. I clean my ears twice a day. I agree cleaning comply will make them last a bit longer, but like I said they're made of such material that keeps worsening every week of use. The truth is no matter how good you're gonna treat them, they won't last as long as good silicone tips plus they loose their abilities within few weeks of use, afterwards the foam becomes different, much worse, and so the comfort and isolation. Not to mention plugging them to ears takes a bit time, first I have to squeeze them and then quickly insert them properly to my canals, before they goes back to first position within seconds.. I seriously think they're highly overpriced, common it's a piece of foam, which probably cost a few cents to make. They would be good at 1$ a pair so that people would change them often without fear of spending lots of cash for just an ear tips, which need to be changed much often than standard silicone tips. Also, there should be serious warning about the sound, because they not only change the comfort and isolation (which is great with comply), but also sound signature. Earphones with comply sounds differently compared to standard tips - depending on the IEM and personal preference, it can be both good or bad. Nevertheless, I will try Tx series sometime, maybe they'll be better than standard ones :)

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 27
I see. After speaking and emailing with a ton of people who have killed their tips too quickly (like the way I described), I just typed the same reaction too quickly before considering other options. Sorry to hear you feel that way. Some people just like silicone more and can't change their minds. Others love our premium earphone upgrade and are willing to pay for it.

There's no right answer, but I work for the company that makes the tips, so I'm obviously going to promote us 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back