Comply replacement foams.
Oct 18, 2008 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PittViper

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of comply foams for my Denon 551's. I was hoping it would make the sound better.

What I have noticed is that now the fit is better, the isolation is better, but the bass has been muddied, although a bit tighter, and the highs have diminished, as compared to the silicone inserts that I was using before.

Is this a characteristic that can be expected from using foams in general? Is this a reflection on the quality of the drivers? I will soon be getting a set of shure 530's, and want to use them with inserts that will provide the best sound.

What is your take on this?

Viper

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 4
From my experience, foam tend to smooth down the treble and give a slightly better bass response. If you are getting SE530, you shouldn't be worry about what eartips to use. SE530 comes with an assortment of extra eartips for you to try with, which includes the really great Shure Black Foam (we call it 'olive' here) as default.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 4
Start with this: Your seal is not Ok!

All the similar problems I had with the problems you are experiencing were directly related to a seal that was not adequate. As soon as you find the correct way they are to fit on you the bass and sound quality comes back!

regards,

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 4
I am pretty sure I have a good seal. I am listening right now, and there is no way I could get these things any tighter.

I also think it depends on the source and its quality. When I made the first post, I was listening to a 128 bit mp3. At this moment, I am listening to a 320 bit mp3, and the bass is deep and the cymbals are bright and distinguishable (song: stevie nicks: gold dust woman)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back