Compliment for my RS-2?
Oct 6, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a compliment for my Grado's with farely specific requirements and am kind of at a loss. The ideal situation would be that the headphone be closed (not 100% necessary, but would much prefer the can be closed, and if it were to be open hopefully it wouldn't leak as much as the Grado's), and would excel at rock/jazz/blues (listen to rock 70% of the time, with the other two getting about equal listening time). Those are the two main requirements I have for this headphone.

Other things, I will be using a millet hybrid for a while, but am most likely going to get an eddie current ec-ss when they become available at the end of October. Also, I've had the AT A700 before and wasn't a huge fan, but I would be interested in maybe trying some higher end AT models.

Oh, and my budget is ~$300.

Thanks for the input in advance.

Oct 6, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 19
Compliments on your RS2! They're great phones!
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 19
Are you looking for a complement to your RS2? Or a closed version of the RS2? I'm not shure, since you are looking for phones for the kind of music the RS2 excel in...
A complement to the RS2 would be phones that perform good in areas the RS2 perform less in (classical for example). These could be Sennheiser HD600/HD650 for instance. Or Beyer DT880.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 19
I would say a compliment, especially because I will still listen to the RS-2's most of the time. I am looking for a different kind of sound, but I am not going to change the music I listen to in order to get different headphones. I would like to get a bigger soundstage for sure, and maybe a little more laid back (not extremely laid back boring headphones though).

I guess the best way to answer the question is both, I want a headphone that excels in the same area of music as the Grado, but is different.

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
I would say a compliment, especially because I will still listen to the RS-2's most of the time. I am looking for a different kind of sound, but I am not going to change the music I listen to in order to get different headphones. I would like to get a bigger soundstage for sure, and maybe a little more laid back (not extremely laid back boring headphones though).

I guess the best way to answer the question is both, I want a headphone that excels in the same area of music as the Grado, but is different.

Oh! You're talking about K601! The price is right, the soundstage is much bigger, they are a little more laid-back but certainly not boring, and they play most of the same stuff the RS-2s do, but slide it a bit more towards the classical side of things!

Oct 7, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 19
Yeah, I am very much considering the K601. My only problem is that I need to determine to what degree isolation is important to me. Like right now I wish I had some isolation (listening to the grado's currently), and my roommate is playing music through his speakers which is kind of annoying (and I'm sure I'm annoying him to because I know he can here my music a little to).

It is a tough choice, get the better headphones that are open, or sacrifice a little SQ to get some isolation.

Oct 7, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 19
It is a tough choice.

I believe I had read in one of the threads here, that the K601 was a little better than the average Grado at sound isolation, but I can't say exactly how much.

...seems to me that the AKGs leaked as much sound "out" as the Grados, but didn't let as much sound "in". I'm not sure how easy a search would be to perform to find out for sure.

Oct 7, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 19
You probably mean complement, not compliment.
smily_headphones1.gif

So I'd recommend SA5000 to complement RS2 when it comes to rock, but it's not that good with blues/jazz. HD650 can shine in all of those areas (also in rock) with right kind of equipment.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
...remembering, of sourse, that the OP wanted to stay around $300.
wink.gif

Both of my recommendations are easily available under $300... used of course. SA5000 and HD650 are maybe the most popular headphones on the FS list.

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Both of my recommendations are easily available under $300... used of course. SA5000 and HD650 are maybe the most popular headphones on the FS list.

I almost commented on some of the more expensive cans too, and refered to the FS forum; but with the recient thread about problems and fears about going that route; I was a bit hesitent to recommend it quite yet.

But yeah! That's true there are tons of good deals to be found buying used!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 19
Bing bong... DT880s
Analytical, AMAZING for jazz, especially female vocals and pretty much everything else that aren't the best with grados, i'm sure you know which ones they are
They were great with my SR225, i just didn't like having 2 cans because i end up using one of them a lot more (in this case the SR225) so i bought the DT990
DT990 is the middle ground... kind of
rolleyes.gif
Well it makes sounds good with all genres, so i'm happy
Oh and they're soooooo comfortable, i'm tempted to say it's more comfortable to have them on my head than not
biggrin.gif

edit: it leaks a bit of noise, but nowhere as much as grados.. at a quiet listening environment and normal listening volume, people around you will barely hear it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back