Completely stumped...
Oct 13, 2007 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Grodecki

New Head-Fier
Hey all.

Have been looking around a lot for my first pair of real headphones.

I'm having large amounts of trouble working out what I should go for... and I was wondering if any kind soul over here could help me out?

My main uses will be music, television, and film, all running through a PC, I have some already reasonable in ear 'phones (sony ex90s) for my on the go stuff.

I have been looking at AKG K240 Studio, Beyerdynamics DT770-80 and things like the Sennheiser HD555, and so that is my price range (up to about £80, which is seriously the upper limit)

I would really quite like something that will function nicely without an external amp.

Any help, folks?

Cheers

Jordan

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 8
audio technica a500 on audiocubes for ~$90 + shipping = ~$100+ sounds good

people also recommend the equation rp-21

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audio technica a500 on audiocubes for ~$90 + shipping = ~$100+ sounds good

Fortunatly the dollar exchange is nice so I can go to about $180 on audiocubes.

Am very tempted by the Audio Technica A900s now, slightly over budget but I haven't seen a bad word about them.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Can they leak noise/not have any noise blocking properties or do they need to leak minimal noise and block some... That might help us decide whether open or closed is in order.

What are your musical tastes/preferences?

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 8
I realize they're not the pinnacle of Head-Fi sound, but the Sennheiser HD 555's work nicely unamped off of my computer, home stereo, and television (I like the way they reduce the fatiguing shrillness of some television). They're circumaural and quite comfortable (not very heavy and they don't clamp).

Of course, if you can take piratical advantage of the exchange rate (LOL), by all means do so and get something higher up the food chain! Hope you get something you like.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grodecki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fortunatly the dollar exchange is nice so I can go to about $180 on audiocubes.

Am very tempted by the Audio Technica A900s now, slightly over budget but I haven't seen a bad word about them.

You said these are going to PC headphones. Really, go for the AD900s or the AD700s. Open is extraordinary.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Music tastes? In general I like Rock music, althought hat does cover a rather wide spectrum. Bands like AC/DC, Muse, Placebo, Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Incubus, are all my kind of thing. Will be watching a fair bit of TV with them on, through the PC as well.

Closed vs Open is something I've had trouble deciding upon. Just how much sound leaks from the open headphones? I will be watching/listening frequently at night when everyone else is in bed, so I don't want huge amounts of sound coming out. There is a chance I will have be using these in a school environment, depending on what goes on next year, so closed is looking more and more applicable. Also, I very much like the bass response on my in ear headphones (sony ex90), and that comes from the seal around the canal, which could not be replicated with open phones... however, I am not sure how this bass would sound if applied to a TV show, where such a thing is somewhat unnecessary,

I do favour closed currently for all the reasons above, and because if I do travel with these (long journeys, such as flying, which may well happen as well), I don't want to be annoying people.

The AD900s are over $200 and as such are really out of budget, £100 shipped really is my limit.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back