Completely recommend this software!!!!
May 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #31 of 43
ahem, cough, cough...

I, _________________, completely recommend this software.

cool.gif

May 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mac is not entirely virus free. There has been some Mac viruses floating around on the web recently. Also Mac is very vulnerable to web hacking. It wasn't long ago when Macbook Air got cracked within minutes along with windows. My advise? Go linux.

Linux - too much admin.
"... Mac is very vulnerable to web hacking." - ??? That particular MB Air unit must've been, sure, the way it was set up. But I wouldn't just generalize like that. You can set your Mac to Stealth mode, all within System preferences. It won't even respond to pings.
Mac viruses so far have been proof of concept, and/or something you would have to stupidly download by deliberate action an open by another deliberate action. Sure there are vulnerabilities discovered regularly, sometimes quite bad ones, I won't argue. But Mac users don't have to discuss pros and cons of different antivirus-antispyware.

Now, I really meant it as a joke. I know often people will have some applications they like to use, and there won't be a Mac version, or it would be a very limited one. No, I'm not a fan boy
biggrin.gif
Just used them for 9 years and find very convenient for what I do.

May 30, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wazowski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Linux - too much admin.
"... Mac is very vulnerable to web hacking." - ??? That particular MB Air unit must've been, sure, the way it was set up. But I wouldn't just generalize like that. You can set your Mac to Stealth mode, all within System preferences. It won't even respond to pings.
Mac viruses so far have been proof of concept, and/or something you would have to stupidly download by deliberate action an open by another deliberate action. Sure there are vulnerabilities discovered regularly, sometimes quite bad ones, I won't argue. But Mac users don't have to discuss pros and cons of different antivirus-antispyware.

Now, I really meant it as a joke. I know often people will have some applications they like to use, and there won't be a Mac version, or it would be a very limited one. No, I'm not a fan boy
biggrin.gif
Just used them for 9 years and find very convenient for what I do.

I knew you were just joking and I wasn't trying to attack you in any way. I was just talking about facts. When they said they cracked the Macbook Air that means they crack the OS, not just that particular laptop. I'm pretty sure they fixed that back door but I just heard another vulnerability on iCal. As Mac users rise every year, it becomes more of a target every year, too.

May 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I knew you were just joking and I wasn't trying to attack you in any way. I was just talking about facts. When they said they cracked the Macbook Air that means they crack the OS, not just that particular laptop. I'm pretty sure they fixed that back door but I just heard another vulnerability on iCal. As Mac users rise every year, it becomes more of a target every year, too.

True. I know there is nothing inherently more secure about Macs, i.e. no technical reason why they can't be targeted with viruses. In fact, I wouldn't mind at all if Apple's market share remained where it is
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you're just trying to justify your purchase. The software mentioned is fairly tried and true, there's no "trying to find the new FOTM virus software". I had symantec as my first/main anti-virus for a long time, and it caused more problems than the stuff I use now. $60 isn't really a bargain if you can get better for less/free. You can argue convenience, but is it really that hard to learn how to work a computer?

Oicdn, you really need to be more open-minded. I've seen it in your other threads, you're reluctant to listen to others if it goes against your beliefs. We're only trying to help.

I didn't purchase it. I got it for free, hence the reason I said if I had to purchase it, I would. No purchase justification here, lol.

Again, I have nothing against freeware other than the fact people think they're the end all (some of the imaging programs on my computer are freeware, simply because it IS better that some of the purchasable things I've bought). How do people know there is better for less/free when they haven't even tried the purchasable stuff? That's all I'm saying. Nobody here has any experience with the purchasable stuff (other than the typical MacAfee and Symantec), and think the free stuff is the best...THAT is pretty close-minded.

May 30, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

How do people know there is better for less/free when they haven't even tried the purchasable stuff? That's all I'm saying. Nobody here has any experience with the purchasable stuff (other than the typical MacAfee and Symantec), and think the free stuff is the best...

Jumping to conclusions again? How do you know these people haven't tried the purchasable stuff? And even if they didn't, they probably read reviews and ask for impressions. (Does that sound familiar? *cough* head-fi *cough*) If knowledgeable, experienced folks say something is better than something else (consistently), there's got to be some truth.

Quote:

Again, I have nothing against freeware other than the fact people think they're the end all (some of the imaging programs on my computer are freeware, simply because it IS better that some of the purchasable things I've bought).

Are you so stubborn that you don't see that's the same thing?

May 30, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 43
Here´s an excellent and completely free security combo for Windows:

AVG
Comodo Firewall
Ccleaner
Spybot S&D
Firefox (yes, instead of IE)

I used to have Ad-aware with Spybot, but Ad-aware started hanging in some of the computers I had it installed on (family member computers). So I'm not recommending it that much now.

EDIT: Just checked now, SpywareBlaster is mostly for IE users, so I won't install it. I use Firefox.

May 31, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jumping to conclusions again? How do you know these people haven't tried the purchasable stuff? And even if they didn't, they probably read reviews and ask for impressions. (Does that sound familiar? *cough* head-fi *cough*) If knowledgeable, experienced folks say something is better than something else (consistently), there's got to be some truth.

Are you so stubborn that you don't see that's the same thing?

I am jumping to conclusions, because many of the things people stated they used was the typical, same answered software as everybody else. Anybody grouped into that category and doesn't belong there, I apologize.

Honestly, how many do you think really read reviews on products they HAVEN'T heard of before? Of course people are going to google for reviews on products that were mentioned here (because so many people have it, it has to be good, right?), but what about the stuff that's not mentioned? That's my point. Just because everybody uses it doesn't mean it's the best. Example, Windows and/or Mac....

May 31, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

I am jumping to conclusions, because many of the things people stated they used was the typical, same answered software as everybody else.

Go to one of the many sub-forums on head-fi, you'll see the same products recommended in each category. Why? Because they're tried and trusted. And anti-virus software is much less subjective than audio.

Quote:

Honestly, how many do you think really read reviews on products they HAVEN'T heard of before? Of course people are going to google for reviews on products that were mentioned here (because so many people have it, it has to be good, right?), but what about the stuff that's not mentioned? That's my point. Just because everybody uses it doesn't mean it's the best. Example, Windows and/or Mac....

How do you know something is better? By comparing it to others like it. The reason the mentioned software became so popular is because found them to surpass other anti-viruses/spyware. The ones that didn't make the cut fell into obscurity for a reason, be it effectiveness, value, or whatever. You're argument is pretty damn stupid, I think even you realize that.

Admit it, you're just irked that people began recommending equal/superior software to the one you mentioned. Grow up.

Jun 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #41 of 43
No...not really irked. My dad uses some of those aforementioned softwares...and judging by experience, I always see him trying to find "new and better" freeware. Which is such a waste of time, IMO atleast.

And you're right, you do compare it to programs like it, and point is, nobody has really gone out of the comfort zone or bandwagon to try new things. Products would never get any exposure if people didn't try them out. How do you think many of the equipment here gets good reviews? By people actually trying it out FIRST and giving feedback on it, not shunning it because "it doesn't seem like a good value, when there's other stuff out there that's more well known and tried and true..." In that case, alot of the chinese stuff would never see the light of day.

Again, I'm not saying "hey everybody, drop what you have and use this!". I'm saying "Here's a new product that worked, and if I had to pay for it, I would." I.e. shedding some light a product that's actually worth a crap that's not in the bandwagon hoppers guide. I don't think YOU see that, and are in a constantly argumentative state. In my previous posts (before your replies), I stated I didn't pay for it, but if I had to would, and yet, that mysteriously got overlooked, lol.

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 43
Funny how my file manager doesn't launch such popups or get slow on spyware. :p

Code:

Code:
[left]progo@pihlaja ~ $ ls back Extinctionist.txt kurssit pika Unix.txt Desktop jorma omat-tiedostot sivut usb dokumentit koodi PDFs skript.celtx Videoprojektit downloads kortisto.collection pics temp vmware[/left]

biggrin.gif

When I boot to Windows to do some gaming, I keep it safe with Avast Antivirus and Sunbelt Kerio Firewall. Both free and very powerful and nice. To the conversation above: some people don't want to pay for any software and some people want to pay for software they'd get for free. We if anyone should figure the reason for the latter. Of course a pricey piece of software will do better than a kludge written by an "amateur" (they certainly aren't but that's the mental image). I personally think the only major advantage of commercial software is the support. The free software is surprisingly good -- even if it's closed source or so.

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

And you're right, you do compare it to programs like it, and point is, nobody has really gone out of the comfort zone or bandwagon to try new things. Products would never get any exposure if people didn't try them out. How do you think many of the equipment here gets good reviews? By people actually trying it out FIRST and giving feedback on it, not shunning it because"it doesn't seem like a good value, when there's other stuff out there that's more well known and tried and true..." In that case, alot of the chinese stuff would never see the light of day.

You honestly think people don't try new software? And c'mon, most of the stuff recommended is FREE. You can't lose, and if it meets your expectations, why would you want to try something else? It's ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE. "Hmm, my current program is very stable, effective, free, and resource-light, but that's just not good enough! It still doesn't wipe my butt for me!!"

Quote:

I'm saying "Here's a new product that worked, and if I had to pay for it, I would." I.e. shedding some light a product that's actually worth a crap that's not in the bandwagon hoppers guide. In my previous posts (before your replies), I stated I didn't pay for it, but if I had to would, and yet, that mysteriously got overlooked, lol.

No it didn't. Just because you didn't pay for it, doesn't mean others won't. There are still a lot of people who purchase software legally, or otherwise companies would stop making them.

Quote:

Again, I'm not saying "hey everybody, drop what you have and use this!".

Then why are you acting like this? People recommended software that equals/betters the one you mentioned. Now you refuse to let up. You're not trying to help anyone or give insight, you're just being stubborn. You're the one who's needlessly argumentative.

I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, considering you're online persona has proven itself to be childish and egotistical. Maybe you'll listen if I text my next reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back