Completely noob question, how to measure DC offset - advice needed
Aug 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Rune3400

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i am about to buy a very nice marantz 2252b vintage reciver.

But after reading a lot about dc offset, it seems i cant buy a vintage equipment without having heard it or knowing the amount of dc offset.

So please explain to me, how do i measure dc offset (in a newbish way, preferably)

What do i connect to what (this is the part im most confused about)

But also please explain all the others details to me one more time

Thanks

Rune

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 13
I guess that´s not the kind of answer the TO wanted?
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 13
yep, if you have a meter, measure DC voltage across left/ground and right/ground

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 13
The person who i would buy the amp from has a meter, but i cant recall having a meter in my own hands. So how do i explain to him, without knowing what im saying, what he needs to do?

Sorry for my stupid questions, but you guys are my only solution

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 13
If he has a multimeter, he'll know what you mean when you ask "What is the DC offset" or "What is the DC output level".  If not, ask him to measure DC volts (hopefully millivolts) of the outputs (left output to ground and right output to ground, measured from the inside of the RCA connector to the outside of the RCA connector).

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 13
The preamp outputs are internally switched on the 2252B, attempting to measure the DC offset at the RCA jacks (with just the meter probes) will not give you accurate results. :wink:

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 13

1. Speakers disconnected (or connect the meter to the 'B' speakers and set the front panel speaker control accordingly)
2. Input set to an unused position (not Phono)
3. Volume control at minimum.
4. Balance in center
5. Tone controls either defeated or set to mid position
6. Set your meter to read DC, and set to a low scale (300mV scale is common) Connect directly to the Pos and Neg of the speaker terminals
7. Give the amp 10 minutes to settle.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 13
Ask the seller to take it to qualified technician for evaluation and provide a copy of the invoice.
It's not your responsibility to make sure it works properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back