Complete noob to MP3 - How do I get my CDs in there?!
May 28, 2003 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 22
the only arguement i have ever heard in favor of eac is the error checking... but cdex has this!!!

anyway, any other reasons why it is prefered?
im soo confused.....

ogg is awesome, but i will convert everything to lame if i ever feel like getting an mp3 player. its quite inferior to ogg, though.

May 29, 2003 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar

ogg is awesome, but i will convert everything to lame if i ever feel like getting an mp3 player. its quite inferior to ogg, though.

MP3 is inferior to OGG at certain bitrates, but not all. I'd be careful tossing around generalities 'cause they get copied and then newbies believe it's true. MP3 at it's top end will beat OGG easily. Reports are that it also does the same with ACC. Each format has their sweet spot. Between the three if you want the absolutely best sounding files, it's still LAME MP3. Course there are still other options like MPC.

May 29, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
MP3 is inferior to OGG at certain bitrates, but not all. I'd be careful tossing around generalities 'cause they get copied and then newbies believe it's true. MP3 at it's top end will beat OGG easily. Reports are that it also does the same with ACC. Each format has their sweet spot. Between the three if you want the absolutely best sounding files, it's still LAME MP3. Course there are still other options like MPC.

dare i bring the lossless formats into this?
tongue.gif

May 29, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
the only arguement i have ever heard in favor of eac is the error checking... but cdex has this!!!

Do you mean that 'jitter correction' thing or is that something else?

Quote:

anyway, any other reasons why it is prefered?
im soo confused.....

As you can see, so am I, even more I guess! Just a newbie to ripping quality files myself.

May 29, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #20 of 22
do we really need to talk about anything other than mp3/aac if this guy is gonna be using an ipod?

ogg et al are all very well and good, but useless with no hardware support (for the time being anyways) IMO.

i personally think cdex is better than eac, although i have both.

i only need error correction on certain cds, cos i treat my cds very well. (apart from a few that got taken on holiday a few years back, cds+sand, not a good idea...although they still play strangely enough) so i don't need the enhanced error correction of eac.

i find cdex faster than eac

May 29, 2003 at 11:46 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
Do you mean that 'jitter correction' thing or is that something else?

As you can see, so am I, even more I guess! Just a newbie to ripping quality files myself.

yeah, something like that. whatever it is, it will make numerous passes over a bad sector. its the same as paranoia in CDeX

Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
do we really need to talk about anything other than mp3/aac if this guy is gonna be using an ipod?

ogg et al are all very well and good, but useless with no hardware support (for the time being anyways) IMO.

i personally think cdex is better than eac, although i have both.

i only need error correction on certain cds, cos i treat my cds very well. (apart from a few that got taken on holiday a few years back, cds+sand, not a good idea...although they still play strangely enough) so i don't need the enhanced error correction of eac.

i find cdex faster than eac

damn you and your feminine logic!!!

ogg support? two words: Rio Pearl (MUST BUY!!!)

May 29, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #22 of 22
i'm quite happy with aac support myself.

i never saw the appeal with ogg

i know better sound at lower bitrates, but it's taken me forever to fill up 10gigs with high bitrate mp3s.

i'd be here forever with ogg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back