Complete noob to MP3 - How do I get my CDs in there?!
May 23, 2003 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
Starting to really like the idea of having many CDs worth of music at my disposal, without carrying any (even though I have a D-777 on the way!). Problem: Don't know a damn thing about ripping, downloading, WAV, LAME, KGB, FBI, NBA, or anything else regarding computers+music.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like buying "solid" albums where I like the vast majority of songs - always have. I hate "one-good-song" albums, so I have never minded listening to my (7-800) CDs on the go, but having many hours of music in one little box, with no CDs to carry and change out while walking? OH, THE CONVENIENCE!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I used to think that you had to download songs off the internet, but it seems people mention putting their CD collections on MP3. So - how DO you get all those CDs into that tiny little box??

What will I need besides an iPOD and my 3 year old Toshiba laptop?

May 23, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 22
Its easy..

Basically, you use the CD-Rom drive on your computer to 'rip' the CDS..once ripped, you need to encode the 'uncompressed' files to .mp3 format. Lame is just an encoder as there are literally hundreds of them out there.

you can just follow this simple guide:

http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modul...&file=painless

After ripping and storing the Mp3s on your hard disk, you can connect the ipod to your computer's firewire port and begin transferring..

I currently have about 100 of my favorite albums on my ipod, and it is only about half full.

have fun!

May 23, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 22
Then stroll around at Hydrogen Audio for additional settings information. One word of advice, encode higher than you'd think you'll need. If this sites causes additional headphone purchases, you'll save time re-ripping/encoding in the future. I'd recommend alt preset extreme or insane.

Also be aware there are other compression options besides MP3. Again see Hydrogen Audio.

May 24, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 22
Thanks!!

Gotta go...

May 28, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 22
imo,

EAC + Lame with a couple settings (-b 320 -m j -h -k --noath) is yet to be matched.

=P

May 28, 2003 at 10:25 AM Post #9 of 22
EAC/LAME -APS is perfect for portable listening.

Anyone of y'all on Chris Myden's UberNet yet?? Thousands of albums, perfectly ripped n tagged... this ain't no Kazaaa
wink.gif

May 28, 2003 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 22
I use LAME alt-preset standard. If you read the history on the Hydrogen audio site, you'll see that there should be no audible differences between the "standard" and "extreme" settings. "Standard" is supposed to be as transparent as an mp3 can get. Extreme was added for those who wanted comfort derived from using up some extra memory.

May 28, 2003 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Xecter
imo,

EAC + Lame with a couple settings (-b 320 -m j -h -k --noath) is yet to be matched.

=P

Let's not confuse newbies with special LAME commands
wink.gif
All anyone has to know is alt-preset standard or alt-preset extreme. Use other commands at your own risk!

May 28, 2003 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
CDeX is the best ripper, hands down. tons of encoding options, kicking minimalist interface, flexible options, all that ****

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

Never tried EAC +lame so I can't say which is better, but I have to agree that CDex is pretty good.

May 28, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Pov
I use LAME alt-preset standard. If you read the history on the Hydrogen audio site, you'll see that there should be no audible differences between the "standard" and "extreme" settings. "Standard" is supposed to be as transparent as an mp3 can get. Extreme was added for those who wanted comfort derived from using up some extra memory.

I certainly think there's some debate about this over at HA. Quality of equipment is often mentioned when comparing -aps/-ape/-api. Since Head-Fi is a site about such, I'd be careful indicating that all (or even most) believe alt preset standard is as good as it gets. Many don't, and that shows when having blind tests between compression formats at various settings (which is more transparent at what point). A similar notion is going around about AAC and anything over 192 kps being "academic" (at least how for instance QT 6.1 or 6.2 is currently tuned). We'll see how this plays out too.

May 28, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
I certainly think there's some debate about this over at HA. Quality of equipment is often mentioned when comparing -aps/-ape/-api. Since Head-Fi is a site about such, I'd be careful indicating that all (or even most) believe alt preset standard is as good as it gets. Many don't, and that shows when having blind tests between compression formats at various settings (which is more transparent at what point). A similar notion is going around about AAC and anything over 192 kps being "academic" (at least how for instance QT 6.1 or 6.2 is currently tuned). We'll see how this plays out too.

Yes, I went back and read the "Recommended LAME Settings" thread more carefully. I think the consensus is that "standard" is just about as good as it gets. "Extreme" and "Insane" may add some slight improvement, but at the expense of a lot of memory.

May 28, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 22
I'd read more threads, and a "lot more memory" certainly depends on your available space. Since this thread is in the Portable forum and not the Source/Format forum I'll assume space is very important and that high quality phones may not be used. In that case -aps may be best. For HD players and future phone upgrades the jump from -aps to -ape or even -api may be advisable. All depends. I use the same files on my main and portable rig. I'd sacrifice space for a little quality, but that's my deal.

Also here's a very unscientific poll from the near past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back