Complete n00b trying to ROCKBOX sansa clip+ What is happening!?
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

McFatterson

New Head-Fier
First I have to say this thing sounds like sh.t compared to my old ipod nano 6.

So im trying to get rockbox onto my new sansa clip plus.   Thing is I can't even get past the first step.  I try to select the device and click OK but I get an error saying no "mountpoint" is given.

Does anyone know what that means and what I have to do to get this thing to work without breaking it?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 29
BTW this is with windows Vista if that matters.  

I am completely stumped:frowning2:

Would hate to have to return this.

Are there any INCREDIBLY DETAILED step by step guides on this?   I found 2 on this forum but left me completely lost.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 29
Did you click 'Autodetect'? It always works for me with any Rockbox supported player I use. And I use Windows 7. Also it won't hurt to run the 'Rockbox Installer' in Administrator mode. To run in admin mode, simply right click the exe, and click on the second option 'Run as administrator'. Tell us how it goes.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 29
lol wut?

I don't think I emphasized N00B enough.  I have no idea what you mean.  I tried doing the auto thing but just keep getting error messages.

Right now im on the step that tells me to install the bootloader..... is that correct?  I need to install a bootloader before the actual rockbox program?

Thing is it doesn't give me a source for this bootloader file "due to legal reasons"  It tells me to find it in some online forums LOL  How is this in any way user friendly?  I found the file on another site they listed but its no good.....more error messages.  Even apple is less complicated than this.  I only sold it because everyone says clip sounds better than ipod stock for stock. 

found out the hard way it's not true so I'm hoping RockBox will convince me otherwise.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 29
Error message when trying to download bootloader

ERR
Original Firmware Unkown
Please try another version Clip+1 versions are :01.02.09,  01.02.13,  01.02.15,  01.02.16
Could not load

So now what?  Where do I get these other versions?

Edit:  just downloaded sansa firmware 01.02.16

Still no help downloading bootloader 
frown.gif

Do I really need it to use rockbox?

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 29
Someone please help.... I'm getting nowhere with this.  

I'm stuck on where it asks to provide the original BIN file?  I need to find this file myself due to legal reasons.  I try downloading from the links provided in that window but they get error messages when I try downloading.

What a hassle.  I thought this was an AUTOMATIC install.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 29
It says to try different versions, so try um, IDK how you can find what version you  have of the Clip+. When i did it to my Fuze i guessed and got it right
tongue_smile.gif

I found the .bin from the sandisk forum thread where you download the firmwares, "Manuel download" of the firmware not the updater.

Are you using the Rockbox Utility?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 29
YES using rockbox utility version 1.2.11

My sansa clip firmware is version 01.02.16

Nothing recognizes anything.... nothing but errors.  I switched the settings on the clip+ from USB to MSC like I was supposed to.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME
really regret moving away from apple so far :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 29

It's Drive F... I switched the settings from USB to MCV, I tried uploading the BIN file (at least I think) and I still get this error pictured above.

rockbox utility version 1.2.11
sansa clip firmware version 01.02.16

I've been at this for about 6 hours now.  
HOW DOES IT TAKE 6 HOURS AND COUNTING TO INSTALL ROCKBOX!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Downloaded the ORIGINAL firmware from the wiki site.  Extracted the files (there were only 3 of them) found the .bin file and selected it when the bootloader thing asked for it.  All seems good now.  Looks like rockbox is working.  Turned the player on and it says "rockbox" for the first second or two. : )   Time to compare to my iphone 4

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 29

Quick comparison between the iphone 4 and rockboxed clip+ with Brainwavz M2 and FLAC files for those that care.  

Iphone 4/nano6 is better in every way with flat eq IMO.... They have a nice crisp sound that still compliments bass nicely.  im shocked Cnet and so many others have rated the Clip+ better as far as SQ which was what I was going for.  The only way I can see it being better is the option for micro SD, the ability to upload FLAC if using windows and of course the price.

Clip+ is more of a neutral warm sound.  Still pretty clear but not as enjoyable with flat eq.  Too warm/muffled for my M2s.  I might like this device more with my Brainwavz M1s which I will be trying later. 

Clip+ without rockbox has weak bass and not as full of a sound.... if anyone is thinking about rockboxing and listens to rap or electronica DO IT!  It's a nice improvement..... but if you have the money go for an Ipod classic or something.

I will be keeping this Clip+ only because I skateboard and snowboard with small devices like this and if it happens to get smashed from a fall it's no big deal.  

Still a nice player.... I guess I was just expecting more.  ( I have yet to play with EQ settings)

My next player will be a Cowon J3.... I tried the S9 but did not like it's odd shape and lack of SD slot.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #13 of 29
Good for you, but i preferred the stock firmware on my Fuze
tongue_smile.gif
Ditch the FLAC and add more music, i want to try the Nationite N2 next with the "BBE" and headphone amp.

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #14 of 29

Quote:

I've been at this for about 6 hours now.  
HOW DOES IT TAKE 6 HOURS AND COUNTING TO INSTALL ROCKBOX!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Epic fail.....

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 29
^lack of basic instruction didn't help.

Most of the time was spent searching google, forums, rockbox and youtube videos.  A lot of them had conflicting info or missing steps.

At least I didn't have to ship it off to someone to get it to work
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back