[Complete] AD900->AD2000 Driver Transplant Mod
Mar 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 28
The driver they sent me is defective, so it's going to be a while until I get this straight. 
That stinks, are you sure that it is not the cable you are using or the soldering on the jack/driver?

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 28
This is TORTURE!

On a similar note, I can't find open cell black foam anywhere in Rexburg Idaho to prop up the pads of the AD900 Audio Technica!

Mar 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:
That stinks, are you sure that it is not the cable you are using or the soldering on the jack/driver?

Oh trust, me. I know what I'm doing. I've extensively tested the driver they sent me, and although I get sound, it makes a little flabby sound (kind of like the speaker is blown, but it isn't) at frequencies under 90Hz. I called up the parts department at AT, and they're shipping another driver out to me. Dave (the guy I'm talking to) seemed kinda aggravated with me, lol. When I called him up, he was like, "Oh it's Trae!..." So yeah, if he shipped it out today, this waiting game should be over this coming Monday, and that's if, and only if the driver is fully functional. My Schiit Magni should be coming in today, so I'll see how it fares with my working drivers (just finished putting an AD900 driver back in, and the AD2000 driver is still installed). 

This is TORTURE!

On a similar note, I can't find open cell black foam anywhere in Rexburg Idaho to prop up the pads of the AD900 Audio Technica!

Get some cotton and stuff it underneath. The more you put in, the better. 

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Get some cotton and stuff it underneath. The more you put in, the better. 

I don't really want white fuzz to get everywhere though... the flecks of skin and small hairs are bad enough on those pads! Is there a cotton or synthetic cotton that won't do this?

Mar 1, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 28
Subscribed!
Which division of AT did you get ahold of, their American division, or Japanese division?

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
American. They have a parts division in Ohio. 

Hmm, so they have a parts division in Ohio, which replacement drivers for a headphone they don't sell in that division... Very interesting.
Did you just contact them and tell them your drivers for your AD2000 died and needed replacements?
And do you know if they had any AD2000X drivers?

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #24 of 28
Hmmm..never asked, and don't care. They're probably the same driver, but tuned differently. The main difference that I can get from people that own both is that the ad2000x has more bass. That's largely because of the thicker earpads. Anyways, I just contacted them and said I wanted to buy them...they shipped me a pair in two days. One was bad, so I sent it out to be replaced. That one was bad, so they're mailing me out another one. I had a similar issue with my AD900 drivers. I'm thinking their quality control isn't all that great. 

They also sell the AD2000 drivers in canada, but they cost around $112 a pop.

Mar 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #25 of 28
Well, I got my driver in today, and it's defective too...

loljk IT WORKS!!!! I just got finished soldering in the cable, so after I finish up everything I'll take some pics for you guys. So, putting AD2000 drivers in an AD900 is completely possible. 

Edit: Done, check the pics in the op. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #27 of 28
Yeah, I found out what the problem was with my second driver. There is a problem with the voice coil, and some of the strands overlap each other. That makes the voice coil thicker than it's supposed to and it rubs on the inside of the magnet. The new driver has it, but it's much less present, and I'm sure that once the voice coil rubs against the magnet long enough, It'll file it down a bit so it's more flush. Maybe that's what burn-in is, filing down the imperfections in the voice coil. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #28 of 28
Update: After blasting music out on these headphones for a couple days, the right (newer) driver sound pretty much identical to the left one now. The right driver starts clipping around .5dB sooner than the left one, which is completely fine. All drivers aren't exactly the same, after all. The light fluttering sound that I heard when the driver was new is gone, so I guess the voice coil isn't rubbing against the magnet anymore. So yeah, I'm completely satisfied with this headphone, and it's going to be a keeper for sure. If any of you guys in the future find this thread and have any questions, feel free to post in here or PM me. For the people that want to replicate this mod with other AD series headphones, please beg the parts division to test the drivers before they ship them out to you. That will save a whole lot of time and aggravation. For any of you guys wondering about the first grill (it's all dented up and stuff), it was the first time doing that, and I was experimenting with ways to pop it out. If you do it cleanly, like I did with the second one, you will be able to reverse the mod and have a stock driver again. Just use your fingers and push it inwards. After you pull the grill off, the adhesive is pretty much gone. You'll really have to push it in for it to stick good, so you may want to get some super glue or something and run it across the crack between the grill and the driver to seal it back in place. I just left mine alone because it's not that big a deal for me. As long as you have something covering the grill and you don't throw the headphones on the ground, you should be okay (I've dropped mine a couple times, and the grills are still in tact). If they fall off, just push them back in.

To pop it out, you'll want to get some needle nose pliers (make sure the teeth are in very good condition), clamp the grill, making sure that the pliers aren't touching the membrane, and slowly pry it open. Make sure that you have a very good grip on the pliers. You don't want to slip and screw up the driver. If you accidentally dent the membrane, just get some chewing gum, chew it up, take it out your mouth, blow on it, stick it to the membrane, and quickly pull away. You may have to do it a couple times, or let the gum set for few seconds longer to get some of the challenging ones out. The membrane is more durable/flexible than it looks so you don't have to worry too much.

Unless you're a basshead, and/or you listen loudly, you don't have to worry about modifying the grill. Under normal listening, you should never be able to hear it.

Making these headphones balanced will be next thing I'll do, but it won't be anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back