kashim

100+ Head-Fier
hi guys my current setup is
ad700x :don t plan to upgrade this
modmic v4: can upgrade with nw700 or at2020 if is worth it for gaming only
sbz: buy dac/amp
windows : 5.1 and tried stereo
games : headphone
actually wanna improve my soundstage and pinpoint accuracy,someone said is better play with stereo settings(because games have already virtual sorround inside and work good),then is better buy dac/amp for better sound quality?(like shiit fulla 3 or fiio) my knowledge about audio are really bad(like my english) then i ask you some clarifications,thanks for help

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 32
Use windows sonic surround virtualization
Modulates the two stereo channels to sound good in your headphones. IF your game already has headphone optimized stereo sound, turn off System spatial sound, unless the game has multi-channel surround sound and you can use the Windows Sonic software to convert that to two channel headphone optimized sound. Every game will be different.

I recommend Mayflower Arc V2 or Schitt Hel/Fulla for your amplification and mic in

Honestly you should be fine off your motherboard though for the AD700x. Don't need much to drive them.

Just apply Windows Sonic or one of the other sound virtualization things you can buy.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 32
The problem with Windows 10 spatial audio like Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones is that they are designed for supported titles only, where the game uses object based audio which it connects through an API. Cause if you select any of these your device will read as a stereo device. So on regular stereo/5.1/7.1 games it will upscale stereo sound instead of what sound cards are doing. They introduce themselfs as a 7.1 device, get the surround channels and virtualizes to your stereo headset. So i think a dedicated sound card will be better knowing this.

Also Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones doesnt work in several games. Doesnt work in newly released Valorant nor Mount and Blade II: Bannerlord where as a dedicated sound card like the Sound Blaster G6 works in any titles. So Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones is superior for supported titles but not many games are. And for those games where it "might" work i think a dedicated solution is going to beat it due to the stereo upscaling .... that is my theory anyways! Been trying for ages to get a clear response from Microsoft and even Dolby to what they are actually doing with stereo and regular surround games that are "not" supported but they cant give a final answer. Some technicians say it only works in supported games which i know is not true, then another say it tries to upmix it which sounds correct.

Personally i find virtual surround superior to stereo. The seperation between left ear and right is so strange and even your brain in your daily life is not doing that. So for me surround sounds natural. Imagine an enemy at 2 o clock in front of you. If he shoots you hear him at your right and you know approximately the distance based on the intensity of the sound on your right ear. But with surround you will hear him exactly at 2 o clock with a good pair of headset and a surround tech that works good. A good example couple of days ago i was tracking a player through the wall with my crosshair based on sound only in Valorant. When my crosshair reached the end of the wall, the player stepped out exactly as i would imagine through the sounds i heard. With stereo i wouldnt be able to do that. The footsteps would just travel from right to both ears and left.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 32
How does Creative not do the same thing as Windows Sonic? It takes a multichannel input, and modulates it into two channels optimized for headphones. Why wouldn't the games detect that default audio output can support multichannel?

I play valorant, so I'll do some testing with my SBX

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 32
How does Creative not do the same thing as Windows Sonic? It takes a multichannel input, and modulates it into two channels optimized for headphones.

I play valorant, so I'll do some testing with my SBX

Windows Sonic does not work in Valorant. You hear complete seperation from left and right. Valorant thinks you have a stereo device and only feeds you stereo sound. SBX you can set 7.1 and you get the surround channels. I think spatial sound like Sonic only works in specific game engines where its allowed to communicate.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 32
Windows Sonic does not work in Valorant. You hear complete seperation from left and right. Valorant thinks you have a stereo device and only feeds you stereo sound. SBX you can set 7.1 and you get the surround channels. I think spatial sound like Sonic only works in specific game engines where its allowed to communicate.
I think I did notice that the positioning was kind of shoddy.

Question: for the Speakers / Headphones configuration setting in Creative, do I use Headphone (Stereo) or Headphone (Virtual 7.1 Surround) for my set up? Have standard stereo headphones, but I want surround sound

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 32
I think I did notice that the positioning was kind of shoddy.

Question: for the Speakers / Headphones configuration setting in Creative, do I use Headphone (Stereo) or Headphone (Virtual 7.1 Surround) for my set up? Have standard stereo headphones, but I want surround sound

Ah then you need to enable 7.1 as well. What kind of card you have? With SBX G6 you have these SBX profiles as well. Just make sure you disable stuff you dont need. For me it does tons of stuff that distorts the sound like own EQ, Crystalizer, Smart Volume and Dialog +. I just disable those. As soon as you enable 7.1 it virtualizes the sound for you.

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 32
Use windows sonic surround virtualization
Modulates the two stereo channels to sound good in your headphones. IF your game already has headphone optimized stereo sound, turn off System spatial sound, unless the game has multi-channel surround sound and you can use the Windows Sonic software to convert that to two channel headphone optimized sound. Every game will be different.

I recommend Mayflower Arc V2 or Schitt Hel/Fulla for your amplification and mic in

Honestly you should be fine off your motherboard though for the AD700x. Don't need much to drive them.

Just apply Windows Sonic or one of the other sound virtualization things you can buy.
i know i can drive it easly,actually i m using sbz for drive them and work great,but if i buy fulla there is some upgrade in positional audio,soundstage or quality?

Apr 22, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 32
hi guys my current setup is, ad700x :don't plan to upgrade this
modmic v4: can upgrade with nw700 or at2020 if is worth it for gaming only, sbz: buy dac/amp, windows : 5.1 and tried stereo, games : headphone
actually wanna improve my soundstage and pinpoint accuracy,someone said is better play with stereo settings(because games have already virtual surround inside and work good),then is better buy dac/amp for better sound quality?(like shiit fulla 3 or fiio) my knowledge about audio are really bad(like my english) then i ask you some clarifications,thanks for help
What is the make and model of your motherboard?
Creative Labs sells their X-Fi MB3 software ($30)which will add SBX headphone surround sound, that works off most motherboard's on-board audio (built in sound card).
Or for more cash, get the Creative Labs AE-5 sound card, which should improve audio quality, as well as give you Creative headphone surround sound.
Asus sound card come with Sonic Radar headphone surround sound.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 32
What is the make and model of your motherboard?
Creative Labs sells their X-Fi MB3 software ($30)which will add SBX headphone surround sound, that works off most motherboard's on-board audio (built in sound card).
Or for more cash, get the Creative Labs AE-5 sound card, which should improve audio quality, as well as give you Creative headphone surround sound.
Asus sound card come with Sonic Radar headphone surround sound.
i actually have sbz but with sorround disabled,can u explain what type of settings is the best for pin point accuracy?
windows : stereo or 5.1(i feel 5.1 better)
sbx sorround : value ?
crystalizer : value?
bass : value?
smart volume : ?
dialog plus : ?

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 32
i actually have sbz but with sorround disabled,can u explain what type of settings is the best for pin point accuracy?
In general, 5.1 in windows and sbx surround will be the best setting. People often use 33% sbx surround. You can confirm this easily by doing tests in game and seeing how well you can determine front vs back with eyes closed and no movement. In most games, it will only be able to be done accurately with 5.1 and sbx surround.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 32
I actually have sb-z but with surround disabled,can u explain what type of settings is the best for pin point accuracy?
windows : stereo or 5.1(i feel 5.1 better)
sbx surround : value ?
crystalizer : value?
bass : value?
smart volume : ?
dialog plus : ?
I'm not really familiar with the control panel setting on the Creative Labs SB-Z (Sound Blaster Z) sound card.
I bought a used SB-Z a few year ago, just to test the sound quality and how well it drives headphones, but only used it for a short time and I'm not into FPS gaming (prefer C&C).
Because the SB-Z's 22-Ohm headphone jack output impedance, it's might cause a slightly bloated bass, with the 32-Ohm AD700X.
I would suggest replacing the SB-Z with a Creative Labs AE-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back