Competition Closed...but what is in the Retro – Stereo 50?
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #46 of 517
Moniker/Name:    rmullins08
Answer A.           There are 311 components

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #47 of 517
To XVampireX and XjunkieNL:

Be patient for your answers. The guys from iFi are at the Bristol Show today and all weekend.

For burn in I would just use it normally and be patient. It sounds pretty good straight off from what I heard today in Bristol.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #48 of 517

Be patient for your answers. The guys from iFi are at the Bristol Show today and all weekend.

For burn in I would just use it normally and be patient. It sounds pretty good straight off from what I heard today in Bristol.

Thanks for the update. For some reason I thought the Bristol show was last weekend.

Did you get to hear this beauty with cans and speakers, both?

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #49 of 517

Thanks for the update. For some reason I thought the Bristol show was last weekend.

Did you get to hear this beauty with cans and speakers, both?

The hall they were in really wasn't suitable for any evaluation of the speakers. All I can tell you is they work!

The Retro had no difficulty pushing around a pair of HifiMan HE-6 and it sounded very good.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #55 of 517
I've got some questions on the Stereo50.
Beginning of the week I ordered it and it was delivered today
smile.gif

1) This is my first tube amp and I'm curious what the burn in time is? What is a good procedure? Leave it on during the night?

2) On the iphono you can select the enchanced riaa curve. I believe it is the standard curve. Can I select it also on the Stereo50?

3) is the setting of the bias of the different tubes done automatically? Or needs this to be done manually.

4) which of the 781 components is the resistor that gives a 330 ohm load on the MC input? Want to change it to 1000 for my DL103 cartridge...just kidding, for now
wink.gif

At the moment Van Halen 1984 is playing.
First impression is that the unit makes a lot of noise for a 25W amp.

I mostly play vinyl, but am excited to try the streaming possibilities (a new world for me).

/Paul

What do you mean a lot of noise? Is it loud or does it output distortion/noise/hum/etc...?

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #56 of 517
What do you mean a lot of noise? Is it loud or does it output distortion/noise/hum/etc...?

Sorry, that was a poor choice of words of me...I meant is was filling my living room with music.
As I'm using a low voltage MC cartridge I was curious if it could amplify the signal enough.
And it could...no noise or hum at all, with volume control at 11 o'clock.
I will change my original post to prevent more confusion.

Feb 21, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #59 of 517
Hi technobear,

Was there anything from the Pro line-up there?  

Sadly no. The table was pretty full as it was with the Retro setup, two micro stacks, a nano stack and other bits, iPhones and such.

One other thing I did hear was a pair of Alclair in-ears. I listened to them with my Clip+ and was favourably impressed. I think they were the single-balanced-armature version. It looked like there was only one driver (they were transparent). The sound was balanced, clear and powerful. Better than the Sony EX500-LPS that I usually use but then at three times the price they ought to be. I could ride around on buses all day listening to these. Oh dear. Watch out wallet.

Edit: OK, just had a look at the Alclair website and I think what I heard was these:

Apparently it's a two-way balanced armature device. Looks like the iFi guys underestimated the price a little too. $250 is going to translate to around £200 methinks. Bit too much for me. Unless it wasn't this model and there is a newer one at a lower price. We shall see.

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #60 of 517
Moniker/Name: Doctorjazz

Answer B. Total of 584 components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back