Competition Closed...but what is in the Retro – Stereo 50?
Aug 19, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #331 of 517

Flavours of Firmware 5.0 for DSD256

Vanilla, Strawberry or Choc Chip?

The DSD DoP Revolution – iFi Firmware v5.0 ushers in a new era
At iFi, when we say we develop our software in-house, we really mean it. This time, with Firmware version 5.0 (and its sub-versions) we have gone above and beyond because:

1) Firmware v5.0 ‘Vanilla’ optimises DSD via DoP to give it equal performance; freedom from clicks and sound quality on par with native DSD (which was up to now, only available on Windows). While the 30% data overhead of DoP is retained, special code optimisation in the iFi firmware brings it level with ASIO native. Sonically, both protocols are now equally good.

2) Special sub-version firmware v5.0A ‘Strawberry’ that enables DSD256 via DoP (on nano iDSD and micro iDAC2 ONLY). Supports DSD256 on all major computer platforms including Smartphones and Streamers as well as computing platforms like Windows, OSX and Linux.

3) Additional Sub-version firmware 5.0B ‘Choc Chip’ (for micro iDSD only) to disable sleep mode for Android and similar devices. Thus prevents the micro iDSD from drawing charge from recent generation Android Phones/Tablets/Phablets. Also prevents any click/pop generated by the micro iDSD’s entering sleep mode.

For detailed instructions and the download files, please follow this link:
http://ifi-audio.com/downloads/

Happy Easter!
wink_face.gif

1Background. The DSD DoP Evolution
DoP DSD is known for inherently creating noise when switching between PCM and DSD-DoP tracks and back. This problem has been addressed at the source by some but not all playback software - hence, much available software when playing DSD, struggles. So we at iFi have taken it upon ourselves to think ‘outside of the (PC) box’ to resolve this upstream issue at the downstream firmware level for all our DSD capable devices. In a process that took over a year, we have resolved the many areas where the differences between DSD-DoP and PCM make switching an annoyance.

Additionally, DoP is often cited as offering a lower sound quality. By adjusting core code and the clocking system in the firmware, this point is now moot – as we eliminated the hit on processor utilisation by DoP vs. native DSD playback. So choose native DSD or DoP-DSD with the confidence that either will deliver the same great DSD sound quality and user experience. Just like DSD and PCM, we like one as much as the other.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #332 of 517
I have ordered the Retro 50 and will use it with LS3.5. Obviously, I will try it with only the LS3.5 first - and will be very happy if the base is enough. Otherwise, I was thinking about adding a Rel T-5 subwoofer: http://rel.net/products/serie-ti-2/t-5i/

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #333 of 517

iFi will rock your Mac world

Double-click for DSD256 DoP on OS X

The DSD DoP Revolution – and updater now on OS X

A few days ago, we launched the special Firmware version 5.0 (and the sub-versions). We incorporated an ‘Easter Egg;’ we have coded three separate iFi dmg files for updating the 3 ‘flavours’ of firmware on OS X.

1) Firmware v5.0 optimises DSD via DoP was launched a few days ago to give it equal performance; freedom from clicks and sound quality on par with native DSD (which was up to now, only available on Windows). While the 30% data overhead of DoP is retained, special code optimisation in the iFi firmware brings it level with ASIO native. Sonically, both protocols are now equally good.

2) Special sub-version firmware v5.0A that enables DSD256 via DoP (on iDSD nano and iDAC2 micro). Supports DSD256 on all major computer platforms including Smartphones and Streamers as well as computing platforms like Windows, OSX and Linux. Further, there is lso sub-version 5.0B is for micro iDSD only to disable sleep mode for Android and similar devices[1].

3) iFi Firmware update on for MAC which introduces the much requested option to update the specific firmware not only via Windows PC but also using Mac OSX. Making iFi one of only a handful of companies to develop a proprietary Mac OS X firmware update application.

[1] Thus prevents the iDSD micro from drawing charge from recent generation Android Phones/Tablets/Phablets. Also prevents any click/pop generated by the iDSD micro entering sleep mode.

Not everyone spotted the Easter Egg which was the dmg files.

So if you are a MAC OS X user (User note: Minimum requirement is: 10.9 or Mavericks - so quite a recent version of OS X).

MACFirmwareupdatetov5.0.pdf 119k .pdf file

Note:
The Firmware is 'built-into' the dmg file. So, one must select the correct 'flavour' of firmware dmg file to upgrade.

Unlike Windows where one does a 'browse.'

If you are a MAC person, no need to source a Windows PC.

We hope you like it as it was a little bit of work (heck, otherwise there would be loads of dmg files out there.) 
wink_face.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #334 of 517
If the Retro Stereo 50 is switched off, the USB Section will draw power from the source to accomplish that.

Solutions:

2) Use a combined Camera Kit/Charger/USB Hub for the iPad, e.g. 

Note, we have not tested this particular item in operation, however it is a common setup in Pro-Audio to record from external USB Sound Cards to an iPAD while powering both USB Sound Card and charging the iPAD.

Just a quick update. I tried the combined usb hub.

It solved the problem. The message “Cannot Use Device: The connected USB device requires too much power.” is gone.
Only thing is, it drains the battery of the Ipad quick when staying connected when everything is switched off.
The orignal charger was connected to the hub, but doesn't charge the Ipad at the same time.

Easiest solution is to unplug the usb cable before switching off, no messages and no battery drain.
Now it goes almost automatically when I have listened to the radio on the Ipad.

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #335 of 517
I have been reading through this thread and the iFi Pro line thread to decide whether I should get the Retro now or wait for the Pro line. I want to replace the Audioengine A5+ and move the Micro iUSB/iDSD/iCan stack that is feeding the A5+ and various headphones from my bedroom to my office. The Retro Stereo 50 + the LS3.5 seem to be a perfect replacement for this because I will get both speakers and a very good (still iFi) headphone DAC/AMP. BUT the iDSD Pro + iCan Pro specs are so tempting. Of course they will lack proper stereo amplification and a pair of speakers, BUT what if iFi will also make a "Stereo Pro" balanced class A tube stereo amplifier. Hmm ... 

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #336 of 517
I've had the IFI Retro Stereo 50 for a month now, with the LS3.5 speakers. It is the best audio buy I have ever made. The speakers are fantastic in a small room. I have used it with vinyl, DSD, 24 and 16bit PCM, Apple Music streaming through Bluetooth. The headphones are Grados (RS1i, PS500, GS1000e), HD800, LCD-2. All headphones sounds amazing with the Retro. The combination of a high quality phono stage, Bluetooth and a DSD DAC creates a sweet spot for me together with the fantastic speakers/headphones EL84 amp.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #337 of 517
  I have been reading through this thread and the iFi Pro line thread to decide whether I should get the Retro now or wait for the Pro line. I want to replace the Audioengine A5+ and move the Micro iUSB/iDSD/iCan stack that is feeding the A5+ and various headphones from my bedroom to my office. The Retro Stereo 50 + the LS3.5 seem to be a perfect replacement for this because I will get both speakers and a very good (still iFi) headphone DAC/AMP. BUT the iDSD Pro + iCan Pro specs are so tempting. Of course they will lack proper stereo amplification and a pair of speakers, BUT what if iFi will also make a "Stereo Pro" balanced class A tube stereo amplifier. Hmm ... 

I would not base my decision on IFI may or may not make a pro class A tube amp.  It all depends on your requirements and less on specs. You can either stay with active speakers with the iDSD Pro + iCan Pro when it comes out or the Retro kit. I enjoy my Retro and it will serve my needs for a long time to come. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #338 of 517
  I would not base my decision on IFI may or may not make a pro class A tube amp.  It all depends on your requirements and less on specs. You can either stay with active speakers with the iDSD Pro + iCan Pro when it comes out or the Retro kit. I enjoy my Retro and it will serve my needs for a long time to come. 

Thanks for the comment. I pretty much agree with you, but you know the disease that you get from reading too many head-fi thread.

I see that you have Oppo HA-1. Can you comment on its DAC, headphone amp and bluetooth section comparing to the Stereo 50?

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #339 of 517
Is anyone using any of the other iFi usb products in conjuntion with the stereo 50? Specifically the iUsb, iPurifier, or either of their usb cables? I've had my Retro since Febuary and am loving it. I am using a Synology NAS plugged directly into the 50 for my main source and was just curious if anyone has had improvement incorporating any of these into the chain.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #340 of 517
  Thanks for the comment. I pretty much agree with you, but you know the disease that you get from reading too many head-fi thread.

I see that you have Oppo HA-1. Can you comment on its DAC, headphone amp and bluetooth section comparing to the Stereo 50?

The OPPO is a tad brighter and sharper sound that on some recordings less forgiving. The Bluetooth on the OPPO  does not seems to work as well as the Retro 50 on my HTC Desire 816 as compared to my previous phone. There is an app for the iPhone that can control the OPPO remotely. The Retro has a remote that control volume only. I do not have a problem pairing my phone using Bluetooth on the Retro 50 and the quality is far better than I ever excepted. The single ended headphone output on the Retro is far stronger than the single ended output on the HA-1. The HA-1 balanced output is not stronger than the Retro. If you are not planning to use balanced headphones on the HA-1 it would be am bit of a waste since the HA-1 was designed and engineered to work best on balanced devices. The Retro 50 while it does not  have the fancy display of the HA-1 does have a few extra features over the OPPO. Tone controls that are calibrated for different LP pressings a rarity in phono pre-amp. Drive certain passive speakers. 3D sound setting and Xbass as well. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #341 of 517
  The OPPO is a tad brighter and sharper sound that on some recordings less forgiving. The Bluetooth on the OPPO  does not seems to work as well as the Retro 50 on my HTC Desire 816 as compared to my previous phone. There is an app for the iPhone that can control the OPPO remotely. The Retro has a remote that control volume only. I do not have a problem pairing my phone using Bluetooth on the Retro 50 and the quality is far better than I ever excepted. The single ended headphone output on the Retro is far stronger than the single ended output on the HA-1. The HA-1 balanced output is not stronger than the Retro. If you are not planning to use balanced headphones on the HA-1 it would be am bit of a waste since the HA-1 was designed and engineered to work best on balanced devices. The Retro 50 while it does not  have the fancy display of the HA-1 does have a few extra features over the OPPO. Tone controls that are calibrated for different LP pressings a rarity in phono pre-amp. Drive certain passive speakers. 3D sound setting and Xbass as well. 

Thanks for a detail comment @john57. It sounds like I will be getting the Retro once I can accumulate sufficient fund with in a few months then. :D

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #342 of 517
I'm about 4 months into the IFI Retro Stereo 50.  I've had some issues that I'm still working with ifi on. Beyond that, the 3D and XBass effects make my Audeze LCD-2s sound amazing.  The LS3.5s are pretty awesome set of speakers as well.  They definitely could benefit from a small subwoofer, but I haven't bothered to try and set one up yet.  Not sure if worth the asking price though.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #344 of 517
I have ordered the Retro 50 and will use it with LS3.5
. Obviously, I will try it with only the LS3.5
 first - and will be very happy if the base is enough. Otherwise, I was thinking about adding a Rel T-5 subwoofer: http://rel.net/products/serie-ti-2/t-5i/

I use a REL T5 and like it a lot.

This week a Retro 50 will be added to my system. I heard it on Sunday at RMAF and was impressed with both the sound and features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back