Competition Closed...but what is in the Retro – Stereo 50?
Jun 8, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #302 of 517
[/quote]

I m not sure how this works but I put my speakers on shelf right in front of sofa with 5tt distance in living room! I like their performance and the reproduce result is quite well given my space is not too big (roughly 5ft x6ft). I wonder the result would much better if I can place them at a eye level? Any suggestions?

[/IMG]

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #303 of 517
You could tilt the speakers downward a small bit and hear if it will improve the sound. I have some foam designed to tilt the speakers a bit with a lip to prevent the speaker from falling out. We talking about like removing the front speaker feet, leaving the back feet as the most of the tilt. Experiment is the key.

Jun 12, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #304 of 517
I m not sure how this works but I put my speakers on shelf right in front of sofa with 5tt distance in living room! I like their performance and the reproduce result is quite well given my space is not too big (roughly 5ft x6ft). I wonder the result would much better if I can place them at a eye level? Any suggestions?

Mate - Can you get the speakers ear level or is that not an option? 

Jun 13, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #305 of 517
Just got me one of these with the speakers.  The headphone amp/dac combo is amazing.  Sounds fantastic with my audeze lcd-2s.  Even better with the 3d and x bass effects.  Speakers aren't bad either.  The whole package looks super nice.  The speakers when out in the open definitely lack bass though.  I'll probably figure out how to get a small sub into the system sometime soon.  First I need speaker stands.

Jun 14, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #306 of 517
We have found that the only way to make sure subwoofers integrate well with main speakers is to use a direct speaker feed. Line level subwoofer feeds simply do not seem to work well in practice, with main speakers and subwoofer playing different tunes.

Please add a high quality subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Our Chief Designer, Mr. Loesch uses a Retro system at home, with a custom Subwoofer (10" Dynaudio Driver + generic 150W Plate Amp) for a massively impressive sounding overall system.

Check out his system here: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10633373_981064788588220_6848022367353813361_o.jpg

Thanks,

Should the speaker cables on the main speakers come out of the Amp/Retro or the sub's speaker outs?

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #307 of 517
I mean, which sounds better:

(1) Retro speaker outs➡️Sub speaker ins➡️Sub speaker outs➡️L3 speaker ins, or

(2) Dual Retro speaker outs➡️Sub speaker ins and L3 speaker ins?

Jun 14, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #308 of 517
I have only dealt with sub-woofers with line level inputs. I would think that sub-woofers with high level inputs and high level(speaker) outputs would sound better with the L3 connected from the sub-woofer speaker outs provided that the sub-woofer will subtract the bass frequencies to the L3 meaning less work for the L3. Some sub-woofers have just the high level inputs(speaker) then it does not really matter. Just my 2 cents. In my case the speakers is close to the wall and near field and the bass is fine for my needs.

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #309 of 517
I'm thinking, the sub's high level speaker ins and outs might tweak the sound coming out of the Retro speaker outs? Is this concern valid?

I understand also that using high level ins and not the outs (L3 plugged into the Retro speaker outs directly) might affect synchronization of the L3 and sub? Does this have basis?

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #310 of 517
I'm thinking, the sub's high level speaker ins and outs might tweak the sound coming out of the Retro speaker outs? Is this concern valid?

It depends on the sub. Most just pass the signal through unchanged. This is what you want. Remember that the LS3.5 bass/mid driver has no crossover in front of it. If you allow the sub to place a crossover in front of the LS3.5 you will lose some of the magic.

I understand also that using high level ins and not the outs (L3 plugged into the Retro speaker outs directly) might affect synchronization of the L3 and sub? Does this have basis?

Again it depends on the sub. Most subs are analogue devices and there is no perceptible delay. However subs that include a digital section and perform DSP either to create the crossover or to perform room correction may introduce a sufficient delay. In that case you might be better using the speaker outputs on the sub.

Personally I would stick with an analogue sub and connect both sub and speakers to the Retro speaker terminals.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #311 of 517
It depends on the sub. Most just pass the signal through unchanged. This is what you want. Remember that the LS3.5 bass/mid driver has no crossover in front of it. If you allow the sub to place a crossover in front of the LS3.5 you will lose some of the magic.
Again it depends on the sub. Most subs are analogue devices and there is no perceptible delay. However subs that include a digital section and perform DSP either to create the crossover or to perform room correction may introduce a sufficient delay. In that case you might be better using the speaker outputs on the sub.

Personally I would stick with an analogue sub and connect both sub and speakers to the Retro speaker terminals.

Yes, my thinking too. Thanks.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #314 of 517
A lot of audiophiles recommend the REL subs - I really like the affordable subs from HSU and SVS.  I use banana speaker connector fro the amp to the speakers and bare wire from the amp to the sub.  But thats just me.  Basically the monitors in my desktop system run full range and then I adjust frequency of the sub.   i set up mine at 80hz but all depends the freq response of the speakers to blend.  Basically I played a lot with the crossover and volume of the sub to make sure it blended nice. I am happy but it is easier on a near field system when you can adjust setting really easy. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #315 of 517
Hey Everyone - Got the unit last week. Will hold off initial impressions until I've got to know it a little better. Quick question, do you think the Retro Stereo 50 will have enough grunt for the Abyss AB-1266?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back