Compass Dac / Amp For PC Gaming
Aug 26, 2009 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Shizdan

1000+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering how it compares to say "Gaming soundcards".

I use my compass through USB and was wondering if I would get an increase in SQ if I connected it to my PC (motherboard is an Asus Rampage with onboard Optical) through SPDIF

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 20
You're not going to hear more, if that's what you're trying to say. Your music will sound better, however. Game sounds, on the other hand, are rather compressed (or so I've read).

Also, EAX is dead.

Personally, I only use my D2 when I'm listening to music. Any other time I'll be using on board.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you have it right, just try it and see if you can tell an improvement.

Thing is, my setup is wired perfectly and my spdif cord would have to be 8-10 feet to reach the computer. So I'd rather have somebody try it out before I buy a longer optical cord.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 20
Well I game with my headphones like so:
PC--USB--Compass--HD 580

I was wondering if I got an X-Fi or a Xonar card with optical out, do I get the effects?

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 20
X-Fi does pass EAX through S/PDIF, but you should be MUCH more interested in 3D-CMSS
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 20
Nah rather have Logic 7.

Quote:

X-Fi does pass EAX through S/PDIF

Source? EAX is multi-channel audio, so it must encode to multi-channel, which means it has to encode to Dolby Digita or DTS. It'll have "live" encoding otherwise it won't.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 20
So if I got a X-fi, It would pass my 3D-CMSS (For Headphones) through optical to my Compass Dac / Amp

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 20
EAX is nothing but various levels of reverb and delay whereas 3D-CMSS actually manipulates the signal much like SRS (but does a much better job). I have the Auzen prelude which is X-Fi based and it indeed passes either type of effect through to your DAC.

You cannot pass any DTS/DD type data stream as the DAC of the Compass is not setup to handle such streams...just regular stereo pcm. Once you hear a game through decent 2 channel amp the 5.1 stuff through regular computer style speakers sounds crappy by comparison.....that is to say what FA alludes to WRT to 3D-CMSS is entirely correct, it does a great job into your headphones. Try it out.

Peete.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 20
for gaming i'd rather have more positional information than pure audio quality, as I'm not listening to shotgun blasts and zombie footsteps the same way as I listen to Dark Side of the Moon or what have you

personally, I take the headphones off for gaming and run it out the analog outputs on my prelude to my 5.1 HT setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back