COMPARISONS: Gustard A26 vs R26 Discrete DAC
Oct 18, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #106 of 116
A $1,600 DAC will convert and reclock and clean internally, yes, but not as good as a DDC + master clock.

What makes sense spending on, or doesn't, is each individual's choice.

A similar question - similar answers:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/for-gustard-r26-which-bang-for-the-buck-ddc-or-lhy-ock-clock
The first part is true, but a $1600 DAC do not reclock if unnecessary. Keep it in mind when connecting extra devices. And you still confuse functionality of a master clock vs. DDC. I can't figure out what you have learnt from the discussion you refering to, sorry.

In such case the best is to try yourself. :)

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #107 of 116
I saw someone recommend with passion the combo LHY Audio OCK-2 (master clock 10 MHz) + Gustard U18 (DDC) specifically with R26.
You'd run a USB cable from your PC to the DDC (USB-USB), then I2S from DDC to R26 (I2S-I2S).
Additionally, OCK-2 connected to the DDC and EXT clock chosen on the DDC (BNC 50 Ohm - BNC 50 Ohm).

Basically, this with R26 instead of the A26:
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...k-2-master-clock-2-master-clock-cables-combo/
“OCK-2 connected to the DDC and to the EXT clock chosen on the DDC (BNC 50 Ohm - BNC 50 Ohm).”

sorry if I bring up this old post; but couldn't you connect the Ock 2 simultaneously to the DDC and R26 DAC inputs 10MHZ in order to have the master clock for both?
or am I writing something inaccurate? in this case I apologize to everyone

Jan 17, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #108 of 116
“OCK-2 connected to the DDC and to the EXT clock chosen on the DDC (BNC 50 Ohm - BNC 50 Ohm).”

sorry if I bring up this old post; but couldn't you connect the Ock 2 simultaneously to the DDC and R26 DAC inputs 10MHZ in order to have the master clock for both?
or am I writing something inaccurate? in this case I apologize to everyone
Yes, you can.

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #110 of 116
I think you are asking about the preamp section. It’s a hybrid analog/digital volume control. It analog down to -30 db. Below that it’s digital. The preamp sounds good, but most people use an outboard one. I’m debating about that. Just enjoying the sound for now. For sure my last DAC.

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #111 of 116
I think you are asking about the preamp section. It’s a hybrid analog/digital volume control. It analog down to -30 db. Below that it’s digital. The preamp sounds good, but most people use an outboard one. I’m debating about that. Just enjoying the sound for now. For sure my last DAC.
@LongLomg00 I can't speak for the A26 but worth clarifying the R26 has an analogue attenuator with two levels OFF (0dB) and ON (-30dB), either of which can be used with additional digital attenuation in 1db steps via the remote +/- volume keys. -30dB is a serious cut, too much for me to be useful and I suspect most people, so practically I could only ever use the R26's digital volume. It's pretty good, but once you're say 7-10dB down the difference is there between it and a quality preamp and/or Roon's more sophisticated volume control. A slight flattening of the sound with touch less dynamics with the latter that increases as you attenuate more.

More generally though most, if not all folk, incl me find a good preamp drives their poweramp better - greater dynamic scale and ease. Caveat is that more basic preamps may have less linear analogue volume controls that are more noisy and/or lose dynamics as you increase attenuation. So taking steps to minimise analogue attenuation and use a high quality software volume is probably the ideal compromise.

See here for further discussion incl software vs hardware volume optimisation guidance from Jussi, the creator of HQplayer software.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hqp...-settings-rolling-thread.968141/post-17976310

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #112 of 116
Sorry but did not see how to install DSD fix. Could someone write step by step how to install it, please?

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #113 of 116
Please advice: I have 2 active speakers and an active sub in 2.1. How can I use these as 2.1 with the R26? Is there a way without degrading the R26 NOS sound?

What gear can I add to integrate the sub and trim the speakers below 80 hz? And where in the chain would it go (post the DAC)? Would it degrade the sound?

Thanks in advance!!

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #114 of 116
Please advice: I have 2 active speakers and an active sub in 2.1. How can I use these as 2.1 with the R26? Is there a way without degrading the R26 NOS sound?

What gear can I add to integrate the sub and trim the speakers below 80 hz? And where in the chain would it go (post the DAC)? Would it degrade the sound?

Thanks in advance!!
Can you be more specific about the inputs into your active speakers and sub? Do they take unprocessed analogue line level inputs or do all inputs get digitised via an ADC? If the latter the benefits of the R26 will be limited, not nil, but limited.

Re high quality sub integration employing high and low pass filters with a high quality two-channel DAC this is not easy.

I bought a MinDSP Flex Digital to do this feeding s/pdif to the R26 and another DAC for the sub(s) which I thought didn't need to be as good as the R26. Even assuming differing DAC processing delays can be accounted for in the MinDSP (I tried my best) it was underwhelming - a poor cousin to the R26's internal HQPlayer NAA streaming endpoint. I also found that tweaks to the R26 chain significantly improved the bass (more controlled, textured, layered), so wouldn't want to miss out on that by using a more basic DAC.

An option I have considered seriously is a Passive Line Level crossover (PLLXO), such as the well regarded Marchand PLLXO. Active line level XOs by all accounts are less transparent, impose their own sig on the sound. After a lot of tweaking my system is now pretty resolving and balanced so that any tweak, even minor ones is audible. So I fear any line-level XO, even a passive one, would impact it negatively so never quite got around to ordering the Marchand PLLXO. In the meantime, and it is not ideal as I'd prefer to use a high pass filter to limit the range of my stand-mount Sopras, but my workaround is simply to run them full range and use the sub's internal low-pass to integrate with its natural in-room rolloff. In practice though that does not sound as good as the Sopras alone so for music I mostly leave the sub switched off.

YMMV of course, sorry I can't be more helpful or encouraging!

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #115 of 116
Can you be more specific about the inputs into your active speakers and sub? Do they take unprocessed analogue line level inputs or do all inputs get digitised via an ADC? If the latter the benefits of the R26 will be limited, not nil, but limited.

Re high quality sub integration employing high and low pass filters with a high quality two-channel DAC this is not easy.

I bought a MinDSP Flex Digital to do this feeding s/pdif to the R26 and another DAC for the sub(s) which I thought didn't need to be as good as the R26. Even assuming differing DAC processing delays can be accounted for in the MinDSP (I tried my best) it was underwhelming - a poor cousin to the R26's internal HQPlayer NAA streaming endpoint. I also found that tweaks to the R26 chain significantly improved the bass (more controlled, textured, layered), so wouldn't want to miss out on that by using a more basic DAC.

An option I have considered seriously is a Passive Line Level crossover (PLLXO), such as the well regarded Marchand PLLXO. Active line level XOs by all accounts are less transparent, impose their own sig on the sound. After a lot of tweaking my system is now pretty resolving and balanced so that any tweak, even minor ones is audible. So I fear any line-level XO, even a passive one, would impact it negatively so never quite got around to ordering the Marchand PLLXO. In the meantime, and it is not ideal as I'd prefer to use a high pass filter to limit the range of my stand-mount Sopras, but my workaround is simply to run them full range and use the sub's internal low-pass to integrate with its natural in-room rolloff. In practice though that does not sound as good as the Sopras alone so for music I mostly leave the sub switched off.

YMMV of course, sorry I can't be more helpful or encouraging!
Thanks!

Currently my speakers are connected by analog balanced xlr cables to miniDSP SHD, the sub is connected to the sub-out. I have managed to achieve really good sounding calibration.

I love the r2r nos type of sound, so I was thinking how can I integrate the R26 in the system. If it is before the MiniDSP its output will be digitalized again, so this doesn't make sense.

What if the R26 is after the MiniDSP SHD and feeds only the speakers, and the sub is connected to the SHD? Can the SHD output both sub out and digital out (digital 1&2 coax to R26 coax)? How do I trim the speakers below 80hz in such case (in the SHD just as analog)? Will the dirac calibration work in such case?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #116 of 116
Thanks!

Currently my speakers are connected by analog balanced xlr cables to miniDSP SHD, the sub is connected to the sub-out. I have managed to achieve really good sounding calibration.

I love the r2r nos type of sound, so I was thinking how can I integrate the R26 in the system. If it is before the MiniDSP its output will be digitalized again, so this doesn't make sense.

What if the R26 is after the MiniDSP SHD and feeds only the speakers, and the sub is connected to the SHD? Can the SHD output both sub out and digital out? How do I trim the speakers below 80hz in such case? Will the dirac calibration work in such case?
It depends on whether the SHD can apply a high (or low) pass filter to its digital out(s) in the same way my Flex Digital can to its two digital outs covering channels 1-4. From a quick look see the SHD also has two s/pdif outs for channels 1-4 so I'd expect the same would be possible. Dirac would then apply over the top.

So you can get it working I'm sure, and sounding good and nicely integrated with the benefits of DIRAC etc. But if I were you I wouldn't be in a hurry to compare this to using the R26's internal streamer, which in my experience sonically beats most of its inputs until you get to the level of very good DDCs/regenerators/streamers etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back