COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Sep 4, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #196 of 207
Thanks for the comments. After listening to those sound demos some more I think I'm going to go with the HD 600, I do like the cooler, more relaxing nature although as I said, with certain songs the warmer, livelier HD 650 works better. In the end it's down to the simple fact that the 600 is cheaper (not counting the Massdrop HD6XX). I might add something different to the mix down the line, like the AKG K712 Pro, for example.

Also, is it true that Sennheiser is going to or is planning to discontinue the HD 650?

Sep 4, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #197 of 207
Always a lot of rumours - and the only one who would know would be Sennheiser. Do you really think they’d discontinue one of their best selling headphones of all time though? Doesn’t make sense to me :wink:

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #198 of 207
The funny thing someone actually asked Sennheiser, and this was their response. I'd personally still qualify this as a rumor, because, like you said, it would be really surprising if they actually did it and the post is almost a year old.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #199 of 207
The funny thing someone actually asked Sennheiser, and this was their response. I'd personally still qualify this as a rumor, because, like you said, it would be really surprising if they actually did it and the post is almost a year old.
I don't think Sennheiser is going to discontinue their hottest selling model unless they have something that's way better in the making.....:smile_phones:

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #200 of 207
@Brooko - Have you used Sonarworks before? What's your take on the software?

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #201 of 207
No - unfortunately haven’t had the pleasure. I do use EQ quite often though, and I also have Darin Fongs OOYH software installed, so my opinion is that if it makes your listening experience better - go for it. If you’re looking for a more open speaker like experience, I can definitely recommend OOYH. Just wish they had a Linux option .....

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #202 of 207
Sonarworks have a 10 day trial on at the moment, just had a play with it. The app is a little more user friendly now than when I first tried it way back (if memory serves me).

The HD650 EQ is...'interesting', blink and you'll miss I think. Sounds to me like they've EQ'd down the mushy mid-bass and raised the lower sub region, I feel the "veil" is lifted somewhat, with the presence brought up to meet the mid range. There is more treble energy where edges on acoustic instruments definitely stand out more. All of this is very, very slight, you have to really be listening except for maybe more apparent sub-bass rumble. I guess the 650's don't need too much correcting but the results are very interesting in an audio sense.

truefi.JPG

Through a Bifrost/Jotunheim (balanced), the change in sound is interesting, worth a try. However, a few quirks, some windows sounds notification comes through distorted or glitchy. Playing music through Foobar or Resonic Player is fine, I haven't heard any noticeable clipping or distortion.

Note: I do not own the 58x or 660s but from reading descriptions and reviews, I can't help think this EQ gives me some of what people are hearing with the newer Sennheisers. Would love others to try it out and chime in!

Jan 15, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #203 of 207
Currently I have both the HD600 and the HD650 (both latest versions).
IMO both are quite similar, but in my perception there are 2 significant differences, when comparing them on my Benchmark DAC2.

Bass
Both have relatively loud mid-bass and relatively soft sub-bass, only everything in the bass is louder on the HD650.
When switching this becomes apparent, but after listening for a while both give the same impression.
The hd600 bass volume sounds more correct to me, but the subass falling down becomes more of an issue to me.

The increased bass response of the HD650 does make it more usable for low-volume listening as the bass volume is satisfactionary, even at low volumes.

Midrange and treble
HD600 provides more information around 3-4 KHz or so. To my ears the midrange and treble sounds more honest and flat. The HD650 seems more compromised in this regard.
Some people call HD600 shouty. I do not have this opinion myself, but I can understand it if you use HD650 response as a baseline reference.
IMO HD650 is very soft in this area. Midrange and treble sound a bit disconnected due to this dip.

It does give the HD650 an even more relaxed sound signature and brings the lower midrange more accentuated.

I am not sure which one I am going to keep but if I had to decide today it would be the HD600 as the HD650 seems most compromised..

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #204 of 207
Currently I have both the HD600 and the HD650 (both latest versions).
IMO both are quite similar, but in my perception there are 2 significant differences, when comparing them on my Benchmark DAC2.

Bass
Both have relatively loud mid-bass and relatively soft sub-bass, only everything in the bass is louder on the HD650.
When switching this becomes apparent, but after listening for a while both give the same impression.
The hd600 bass volume sounds more correct to me, but the subass falling down becomes more of an issue to me.

The increased bass response of the HD650 does make it more usable for low-volume listening as the bass volume is satisfactionary, even at low volumes.

Midrange and treble
HD600 provides more information around 3-4 KHz or so. To my ears the midrange and treble sounds more honest and flat. The HD650 seems more compromised in this regard.
Some people call HD600 shouty. I do not have this opinion myself, but I can understand it if you use HD650 response as a baseline reference.
IMO HD650 is very soft in this area. Midrange and treble sound a bit disconnected due to this dip.

It does give the HD650 an even more relaxed sound signature and brings the lower midrange more accentuated.

I am not sure which one I am going to keep but if I had to decide today it would be the HD600 as the HD650 seems most compromised..
Good write-up, I've notices similar characteristics. I've had the 600's longer but fell in love with the 650's subtle differences, much more pleasurable to my ears (imho).

I've kept both as they fulfill a purpose for me, the 600's fantastic for movie-watching late at night through my Yamaha receiver! When I find a replacement for the Sennies, then I'll get rid of both but till then...:L3000:

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #205 of 207
Well, after spending some more time with both I like the 600 more and more. I stand by my comments. For me, the 600 is the better headphone.
I really liked the 650, but now I know the 600, the 650 seems like a weird product update to me.

The only issue the 600 has is that it is not full-range. It would be better if it would extend a little further in the bottom. Now it is like really good speakers that have nice bass, but that would benefit a subwoofer. :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #206 of 207
I have the 600 and the 650 also, and I like the more dynamic 600 55% of the time and the richer, warmer, bassier 650 about 45% of the time. How’s that for decisiveness?

But I also have the Grado RS2E, and I like it better than either Sennheiser, it is so clear and dynamic and it has a pinch of warmth and refinement that elevates it above every Grado I have as well.

Well, after spending some more time with both I like the 600 more and more. I stand by my comments. For me, the 600 is the better headphone.
I really liked the 650, but now I know the 600, the 650 seems like a weird product update to me.

The only issue the 600 has is that it is not full-range. It would be better if it would extend a little further in the bottom. Now it is like really good speakers that have nice bass, but that would benefit a subwoofer. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back