COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Nov 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #16 of 207

I have had both for a long time. Sometimes I feel like getting rid of one or the other, or even both when the newer 700 arrived, but in the end I decided to just keep these classics/collectibles. I guess it's like deciding whether you'd like to lose your left arm or your right arm.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #17 of 207
Thanks for the comparison. I read every word of it earlier today.
I remember comparing the two also a few years ago. It was very hard to tell the difference at times.
With some recordings they'd sound like clones! On other recordings it's a little easier.

I found that on music with a large soundstage in the recording that the HD-650 was a little more clear and less grainy sounding. The differences were pretty subtle.
I actually love the HD-650 for female vocals. It's soundstage does seem a little more closed in compared to my AKG headphones, but that's OK.

The reason I don't like the HD-600 as much is that it actually had MORE of a mid-bass hump. I've always read that it's the HD-650 that has it!
Somehow the HD-600 for me had something weird going on with the bass. It actually felt like it would give sort of a haze over the sound. I found out that when you mod it this goes away.
If you actually limit the air getting to the driver the mids clear up.

I also found that for whatever reason the HD-650 for me has slightly more low bass presence. It's very minor though.

My HD-650 is basically neutral/flat with some extra treble smoothness to it.

I also found that the HD-650 seems to benefit more from better amps and DACs than the HD-600.
I can easily dislike the HD-650 on the wrong amp. If the amp it's too warm it makes the HD-650 sound more congested or veiled.
My Bravo V2 isn't a great hybrid tube amp, but somehow the HD-650 sounds pretty good on it without having this issue. I don't find that amp too warm really.

I also had an HD-650 in the past and always disliked it. Maybe it was an older and more veiled pair. Who knows.

This seems to go along well with my bass modded Q701, but they're actually quite similar in sound. HD-650 is much more polite, but both are accurate.

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 207

Hello Brooko , again ,

Ditto's on the Price Point level being a kind-of mildly flexible Ceiling ; don't need to go beyond it to get performances that satisfy.  With headphones the Cieling Costs are quite low compared with Living Room filling Big equipments which is probably why we find ourselves able to experience what we are discussing here today ! 
  It seems we are elevating rather quickly ( perhaps after two or three cycles ) to the HD800 level , perhaps considering Planers ( $2k level ) and matching high-voltage Amps ( $500 to $5k levels ) to be far beyond "good value for money" rationals ( thereby supporting a HD800 investment or just staying with the HD600 from not knowing just how good these things actually are ) .
  I have reason to suggest that good news is just around the corner :  Schiit is about to release a super DAC called something like Yggy and  Antelope have packaged-up a one chassis version of their DAC technologies into a box called Pure 2 , both these devices will be costing $2,500 US or less .  Still pricy , but not pricy in the $5k to $10k region that respectable Mastering Studio Equipment range in .  My Point here is that costs are dropping in our favor , hmm , can we wait till the costs float down to our comfort zone ?  and can I (personally)  not act impulsivly , this once , and accept my happy system , for the time being ?  , a happy dilemma ! 

Tony in Michigan 

ps.  I think the HD800s are a good investment that will not drop in price , the Sennheiser Company have committed to supporting ALL their products for LIFETIME ! , ( a Germanic trait ) making it easy to justify owning all things Sennheiser including their wonderful Neumann Monitors which are actually made in Ireland , I'm told , ( god-bless the Irish & their wonderful Beverages ) 

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #20 of 207
While not currently in the market for new headphones, I have often read how generally excellent are the HD600's.  Your review only helps to reinforce that interpretation.

I really enjoyed the review, especially with such a nice mix of music for the testing.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #21 of 207
Thanks for the review, Brooko. I have very similar equipment to you, and have always found your reviews on Head-Fi helpful since our tastes and outlook on audio seem to coincide a lot. Regarding the HD600 vs. HD650, I once read somewhere that Sennheiser tuned the highs to have "notches" at 5khz and 16khz. Apparently, they thought when the headphone measured flat it sounded harsh so they reduced the energy at those frequencies to make it sound more natural. (luckily I found the article so here's a link and quote:

"Not only by ear — Sennheiser has comprehensive test and measurement facilities — but engineer Axel Grell found that when the ‘phones measured flat, they sounded harsh. So he very carefully tuned the response to have notches at 5kHz and 16kHz. These notches, speculates headphone maker-designer Tyll Hertsens, of HeadRoom, mimic the ridge notches of the concha — the largest and deepest concavity of the external ear, or pinna — which help you determine the azimuth and elevation of sounds." - http://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/ 

With that in mind, I was wondering how close the HD600 can get to the HD650 with EQ reductions at 5khz and 16khz. Disregarding the increased bass of the HD650 (which is not something I personally want more of) can the HD600 reach HD650 levels of refinement on older/harsh recordings with such an EQ? I have been finding myself EQing the HD600s down @ 4khz because I find they are a tad forward there, but have been leaving 16khz alone because I see no issue in that region and (coming from DT880s) am very keen on keeping whatever "airiness" I can. I am, however, very curious how close the HD600s can get to the HD50 in terms of smoothness and forgiveness for older recordings.    

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 207
Wish I had your post 8 hours ago - I could have checked and posted back. Both the 600 & 650 are currently en-route to Auckland.

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #23 of 207
Absolutely wonderful comparison article. Thank you so much for this! As a recent HD600 owner, I can say without a doubt that this is one of the best purchases I've ever made. I was very, very close to buying the 650, but reading this in depth article makes me that much more glad I went with the 600. Sure, I would have liked either, but it's good to read from the perspective of an expert!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 207
Wish I had your post 8 hours ago - I could have checked and posted back. Both the 600 & 650 are currently en-route to Auckland.

Ah, no worries, Brooko. I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Your wonderful review already gave me a great idea about the differences though, and I must thank you again for writing and posting your observations for all of us. I am very confident in my choice getting the HD600s. I managed to get a store's demo pair (pretty much new condition) for $265. For that value, and considering their more neutral character, there was no way for me to pass them up.  

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #26 of 207
Thanks gentlemen.  Actually - next time I have some spare $$$ I'm even contemplating just getting a pair of HD650 drivers.  They're cheaper, and would drop right in - then it would be best of both worlds.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #27 of 207
  Thanks gentlemen.  Actually - next time I have some spare $$$ I'm even contemplating just getting a pair of HD650 drivers.  They're cheaper, and would drop right in - then it would be best of both worlds.

I have only listened to the HD600s but the HD650s still seem like a great buy...especially if you are just buying the drivers
happy_face1.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #28 of 207
Brooko, some headfiers said that HD600 is easier to drive than HD650. We can get decent results of sound quality of HD600 even from a cheap amplifier. I have observed that there are more HD650 on the sell area than HD600. Is it maybe because some headfiers did not get decent positive results from HD650 out of a cheap amp? Is HD650 more amp picky than HD600? Please provide us details too about this factors if you can. Thanks.

Nov 4, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #29 of 207
  Brooko, some headfiers said that HD600 is easier to drive than HD650. We can get decent results of sound quality of HD600 even from a cheap amplifier. I have observed that there are more HD650 on the sell area than HD600. Is it maybe because some headfiers did not get decent positive results from HD650 out of a cheap amp? Is HD650 more amp picky than HD600? Please provide us details too about this factors if you can. Thanks.

When I audition both with a couple Woo amps (WA3 & WA6) back in January and with some other amps in December 2013, I find the HD650 to be trickier to "get it right". With the Magni, the HD600 sounds sublime, while the HD650 sounded absolutely veiled and muffled. With the WA3, the HD650 rolled off the treble too much while the HD600 sounded sublime again. With the WA6, the HD650 sounds magical, better than the pairing the HD600 makes with it, although by all means the HD600 doesn't sound bad with the WA6 at all.

In essence, I've yet to find an amp the HD600 sounds bad with. I'll try to report back on how they both sounded through the HDVA600's balanced out.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #30 of 207
Great read Brooko, a worthwhile comparison. Perhaps a HD600/HD650 VS HD700/HD800 comparison one day?

Either way I truly adore my HD600's, they continue to lure me in with it's captivating sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back