Comparison Review: Ety ER6 vs both 4p and 4s (Very Long)
Apr 29, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #31 of 47
Excellent review.. A joy to read.

Could you talk a little about your actual comparison technique. For exampple do you listen to particular passages again and again or a complete song switch and listen again. I am interested in how others conduct these type of reviews.

John

Apr 30, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #32 of 47
John,

Actually, I do both.

I actually have a couple of CDs and MDs that I have made specifically for the purpose of comparing headphones.

Assuming the phones are broken in, my procedure is usually something like this:

I listen to the new phones I want to compare for quite some time, so that I can eliminate the “new sound” phenomenon that can sometimes cloud my judgment either positively or negatively. Furthermore, I tend to believe in “brain training,” that is, I believe that the brain itself gets remodeled by experience in general, and by listening to sound reproduction devices (i.e. headphones) with a particular sound signature. After I’ve listened for at least a good week or two, I sit down to do the comparison.

The order of these steps below is totally interchangeable:

1. I listen to a song or two in a particular genre, then listen again with the other phones. I go through all the major genres with each phone. I also tend to reverse the order in which I switch between phones. I find that it can sometimes give a false sense of preference if I always go to a particular one second, so I try to vary them.

2. Then I go back and listen to specific passages between phones.

3. I try to listen in this way, comparing songs, bits, sounds, etc., for a few days to a few weeks before I write anything down, getting an overall sense of what differences I really hear, since sometimes the differences I hear at the beginning of a comparison don’t seem as present at the end. Also, I tend to do many sessions to see if the difference I heard on session 1 is still present on session 5.

4. I tend to listen to whole songs or whole CDs when I’m trying to decide about the overall sound characteristics.

Then, finally, I sit down to write, put on the songs that I think are best representative of the differences between them, and start writing.

So, that’s the basics of my method.

Apr 30, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 47
dgs,

thanks for your review.
Since my birthday is coming up -as well as another trip to Europe - I thought I might buy myself a nice (and useful) present. And I've always wanted to own Etys anyway...

And just as I wanted to post the usual "which one should it be?" message I noticed this thread and the wonderful review at the beginning.
Well, I'm still not sure which one to get, but thanks to
you I can at least make an informed decision.

Bye

Redwoood

May 5, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #34 of 47
I love my 4Ps, but I got them because when I take the trains and subway into NYC, I don't want to disturb my neighbors with whatever i'm listening to at moderatley high volume. But the cord microphonics (the annoying "thumping" sound as the cord hits itself or something else) was really disturbing.

On another headphone website, I posted about this problem, and someone suggested I try Dr. Xin Feng's ER modification at www.fixup.net.. Basically, he replaces the cord so you don't get the thumping. Also, by changing the earphone mount so they don't hang out like pigtails, but lie flatter against the head, he can eliminate wind sounds and stop breaking the seal as the earphones pull out while on the go.

You can read all about it on his website.

http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

He's a terrific guy, and worked extremely quickly. I got them back on Friday, and they'e really perfect now. Plus, he moves the resistors to the mini plug side,and to his ears, it opens up the sound a bit. I don't have an unmodified pair to A/B with, but I'm extremely pleased.

May 27, 2002 at 1:08 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
how does the treble fatiguness of the er6 compare to the ex70?

IMO, WAY WAY WAY worse on the ex70. The Er6 has softened for me too, over the months since I wrote this. This treble fatigue, while still there with certain types of music, is much less than it was at first.

May 27, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #37 of 47
The (unmodified) EX70 seem to have a treble hump centred on the frequency region that sibilance is mostly made of. Most annoying.
redface.gif

a1 did you buy another EX70 or what?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 4, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #38 of 47
Thought I would bring this thread back to life - just for the hell of it.

I've recently(ish) purchased a set of ER6's to go with my ER4P's, Koss 35's and Senn MX-500 buds.

At first, just like with the ER4P's, I had difficulty getting the fit right with the ER6's but now I don't seem to have a problem (in my ears they do fit differently to the ER4P's).

I found the treble somewhat overpowering but I've noticed over the past few days they are starting to mellow out a little and offer more of the qualities of the 4P.

I'm using all my phones now almost exclusively with the fabulous Nomad Jukebox 3 (get one you fools before it's too late!) but I've now got a 20gb Windows iPOD on its way - oh deep joy!

Just thought I would share that with ya.

Jun 4, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #39 of 47
how in the world is this review not up in the review section? this is good stuff.

Jun 5, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #41 of 47
Peddler...

Thanks so much for 'reviving' this fabulous thread. I have been lamenting a recent purchase of Sony EX70LP's once I found this place and starting reading about ETY's. This review basically ensures that my sony's will either wind up in my briefcase for "emergency" use or sold on ebay...I'm hoping to get some of these for true portability! I love that my Zen has really helped pave the way for the 'rediscovery' of alot of my music...and a good pair of phones hasn't hurt the discovery process along the way!

Thanks for great review D!

Shooey
Where there is great music....there is harmony among us!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #42 of 47
Darn-it-all, I want the 4p/s.
frown.gif
I just hope they fit my left ear better than the er6 does... I still can't figure out if it's too big or too small, but after about 30min. of fidling, it fits right. Headroom may have a return policy, but I'll have to pay a hefty customs fee when the time comes. (As of now the EU distributors are more expensive than Headroom+shipping+customs although I haven't been religously checking prices)

Jun 9, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #45 of 47
Thanks for the kind word on the review guys. And I don't know why it's not up in the review section. I thought I had done a pretty good job...oh well...

As for using modern music, I tried to use a variety of music in a variety of styles. Alot of the music was current at the time I wrote the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back