Comparison of headphone cable upgrades for the Sennheiser HD-650: Artisan Cable “Silver Dream” vs. Stefan AudioArt Equinox
Nov 25, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
SlimA,

THANKS for taking the time to give that review. As a new head-fi'er I kept seeing the posts 
about cables being a placebo. But after reading that extensive comparison you did, I really
think I need to search for a used cable (I've got a WOO2 on its way).

Thanks again!

I can't see any reference in the review to combatting auto-suggestion.

I have read so many reviews like this where all kinds of "differences" are described but nothing about auto-suggestion which is hugely powerful in human hearing.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #17 of 20
Auto suggestion, like placebo, seems to be the craze on Head-Fi now days and it gets bantered about as the antidote for those who find that cables make a difference. We're all aware that "any idea exclusively occupying the mind turns into reality." However, in the manner that you imply, the opposite would also be true. In other words, auto suggestion would have the same effect if perseverating on "cables don't make a difference" was your exclusive idea. In that context, you wouldn't be able to hear a difference, even if in reality it truly existed. 

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
Auto suggestion, like placebo, seems to be the craze on Head-Fi now days and it gets bantered about as the antidote for those who find that cables make a difference. We're all aware that "any idea exclusively occupying the mind turns into reality." However, in the manner that you imply, the opposite would also be true. In other words, auto suggestion would have the same effect if perseverating on "cables don't make a difference" was your exclusive idea. In that context, you wouldn't be able to hear a difference, even if in reality it truly existed. 

Couldn't agree more!

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 20
Really enjoy reading your reviews and impressions slim.a. Your Audio-GD Fun review led to my downward descent into this madness, so I have you to thank and to blame
angry_face.gif

I've loved the Fun from the beginning but always suspected my headphones to be the weak links in the chain. I've just purchased the HD650 based on the generally positive comments on its pairing with the Fun.

My concern now though is the HD650 will be a disappointment and that I'll have to pay more than the cost of the headphones itself to bring out its full potential. Is the stock cable really that bad?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back