Comparison of Dacmagic and 840c as dac.
Dec 25, 2008 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

dickbianchi

100+ Head-Fier
Ive been through the threads on the dacmagic and the 840C, and it does not seem, unless I've missed it, that someone has directly compared the dacmagic and the 840C used as a dac. I have read the outside reviews of both as well and noone addresses this.

Everybody notes the similarity of the two, and guesses that they have a similiar sound and talks about their expectations and speculations, but I have not read, that I can recall, any "shootout" kind of comparison. I know the difference in prices and have been schooled that one has no right to expect a cheaper dac to sound like the dacs in the more expensive player, but is there a great difference in the sound of the dacs? Has anyone heard it?

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 55
Obiously one price difference is that the 840C is a cd player.

But as dacs they offer similar features, similar upsampling (but to 192 instead of 384), similar dac chips. In this respect the dac has guts more comparable to the dac of the 740C.

Again, it would be great if anybody actually listened to them both.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 55
I'm eager to find out too. I emailed AudioAdvisor and they told me the sound is comparable to 740C and definitely a step down from 840C. But you never know until you audition it yourself.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 55
I believe the DacMagic and 740C share the same DAC chip (Wolfson WM8740); they would likely have similar sound signatures. The 840C is a different design altogether using AD1955 chips as dual-differential DACs. Most people who have heard the 740C and 840C have commented about how different they sound; I suspect the same would apply between 840C and DacMagic.

Dec 26, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 55
The 840 is a good CD player but it isn't a great DAC for the price.
The DacMagic has too much of a laid back sound for me. I don't know if it is the way that upsampling work or not that makes it sound like that. I like an exciting attacking sound with good dynamic range. The more I listen to my DacMagic the more it sounds like a boxer hitting you with a pillow instead of a punch.
The lack of a headphone output is also a terrible thing for me. Unless I switch on my amplifier or use a separate headphone amp I can't listen to the DM. I don't have unlimited amount of mains sockets to plug all my audio stuff in. The more I look at its small size, the more I wonder if the DacMagic has been compromised in its design and if it is maybe far too expensive. Other Chinese DACs are far more spacious and give more options to upgrade and modify.

Dec 26, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubblegummy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm eager to find out too. I emailed AudioAdvisor and they told me the sound is comparable to 740C and definitely a step down from 840C. But you never know until you audition it yourself.

Xenithon says "I believe the DacMagic and 740C share the same DAC chip (Wolfson WM8740); they would likely have similar sound signatures. The 840C is a different design altogether using AD1955 chips as dual-differential DACs. Most people who have heard the 740C and 840C have commented about how different they sound; I suspect the same would apply between 840C and DacMagic."

Thanks. I will search for threads comparing th 840c an the 740c.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 840 is a good CD player but it isn't a great DAC for the price. The DacMagic has too much of a laid back sound for me. I don't know if it is the way that upsampling work or not that makes it sound like that. I like an exciting attacking sound with good dynamic range. The more I listen to my DacMagic the more it sounds like a boxer hitting you with a pillow instead of a punch.

At what price? The 840c is a CDP with digital inputs; the ability to use it as a stand-alone DAC is a bonus, not its primary function, and the DAC sounds like the CDP does -- excellent. I've got an 840c and a DACMagic coming in next week and will report back. My local dealer ranks the DM alongside the 740 and not the 840c, which is substanially different design, from chipset to power regulation.

best,

o

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 55
I also have an 840C and have a DACMagic on order for sometime in January. I'll try to post some comparisons when I get it in as well.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got an 840c and a DACMagic coming in next week and will report back.
o

Anything to report yet, Orkney - or anyone else that may have compared the DM with either the 840C or 740C. I add my name to the list of those keen to hear the results of a comparison.

Cheers
wolster

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything to report yet, Orkney - or anyone else that may have compared the DM with either the 840C or 740C. I add my name to the list of those keen to hear the results of a comparison.

Cheers
wolster

Still hoping for some actual comparisons.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 55
"The DacMagic has too much of a laid back sound for me. I don't know if it is the way that upsampling work or not that makes it sound like that. I like an exciting attacking sound with good dynamic range. The more I listen to my DacMagic the more it sounds like a boxer hitting you with a pillow instead of a punch."

I had the 740C and agree with the above quote, the 740C misses the excitement in a piece of music if it is there giving it a bland and boring presentation, dynamics are missing in action. I have not heard the DM.

Phill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back